What's new

Has anyone actually noticed any shortfall in imported items on store shelves?

Have you personally observed any imported item missing from store shelves?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
language is English, if these were fakeries from some other 3rd world country you will be able to tell instantly esp. if you had been using the same brand for decades. they are genuine.

No, not fakery. Genuine cigs manufactured legally in some 3rd world country where it is cheaper. But it will still carry the country of origin information. For example Marlboros made in India will carry a Manufactured in India by Godfrey Philips print. There is no way to avoid it. Unless there is clandestine repacking happening at a very professional level.

No, not fakery. Genuine cigs manufactured legally in some 3rd world country where it is cheaper. But it will still carry the country of origin information. For example Marlboros made in India will carry a Manufactured in India by Godfrey Philips print. There is no way to avoid it. Unless there is clandestine repacking happening at a very professional level.
Marlboro is £14 in the UK. how much is it in bharat?

price in equivalent of GBP please

I think Rs 330 for a pack of 20
About GBP 3.3
so in UK currency term hardly different than in Pakistan just slightly more expensive

UK Tax on a packet Cigarettes, 16.5% of the retail price
Monthly Minimum wage UK £400
minimum wage in the UK is £9.50 per hour

the value added tax on retail is 20 per cent as well as the 16.5%

Last edited:
Yeah, beats me how smokes being imported from UK could be retailed at GBP 3 in Pak
I do not know the prices from every retailer, just the one I bought from. only said that seen them on display everywhere not that I purchased from them all

That means either local brands are incompetent or people love to show off.
You know how much our people spend on weddings, even when they can't afford it. I'll let you decide.

It's a bit of both though. In my experience, some Pakistani brands are genuinely good, but there are a lot only in the markeyt because they're cheaper and when people can afford to buy better - they do.

dunno about much but last time I bought a packet of genuine British made Dunhill International smokes from a tobacconist kiosk was 5 times cheaper than in the UK

Pakistan:£3.00
UK: £14.90
how is it possible without smuggling/avoiding taxes?
Well, you get a lot of these at local corner shops in India too. These are mostly purchased in Airport Duty Free shops by travelers and sold directly to the corner shops. A carton of British made Marlboros or Dunhill is priced at about £25 at Dubai / Mumbai Duty Free, which works out to £2.50 a pack, the traveler and the corner shop share a pound a pack making the cash price circa £ 3 or 4.

People who works for their livelihood and grow their own food may need deodorant, only incompetent folks who survives on foreign doles may take pride in flaunting imported items.
Indian society works differently

Yes.

For starters try to get Peony blossom glade aerosol from any market, you will not find it.
Try to get MP combat whey and the dealer will tell you that they are out of stock.
Nitrotech whey products are also out of stock.

Pls note that due to high freight till Dec 22, importers were importing 3 to 6 months inventory for products and now in next two months you will see a visible problem on market shelves.

Another thing to note is that some imported item that are coming from grey channels so you would continue to see them around albeit in that quantity but they would still be available.

Yes, There is a shortage. You wont find any good chocolates or drinks. If only we had focused on foods, I think exporting choclate and biscuits is Denmarks primary source of forex. We suck on every level. Cant even make decent biscuits. Cuba makes the best cigars in the world, wtf are we the best at?

Has any member from within Pakistan noticed any actual impact on store shelves? Grocery storers like Shaheen, Dwatson, Essa Jees and then bigger super markets like Fateh, Carefour, Green Valley etc are still brimming with imported items like perfumes, soaps, shampoos, deodorants, chips/snacks/chocolates etc.

We have been in this import crunch for a good 3 months now. How are these people still bringing in these items? Smuggling?
I personally have not felt any shortage of the stuff I wanted to get, what’s even stranger that all the marts are filled to the brim with people out shopping, you have to wait for long to get served food in restaurants (even the relatively posh ones) to get served. All the malls/ markets are full of people, idk how people are still able to afford it given the financial crunch the country is facing.

I personally have not felt any shortage of the stuff I wanted to get, what’s even stranger that all the marts are filled to the brim with people out shopping, you have to wait for long to get served food in restaurants (even the relatively posh ones) to get served. All the malls/ markets are full of people, idk how people are still able to afford it given the financial crunch the country is facing.
Makes you think. Is the crunch as bad is it is made out to be?

I know quite a few people are suffering, but other regions have been doing fine, especially Azad Kashmir. It might be that the current leadership are blowing things out of proportion to secure an IMF bailout?

Makes you think. Is the crunch as bad is it is made out to be?

I know quite a few people are suffering, but other regions have been doing fine, especially Azad Kashmir. It might be that the current leadership are blowing things out of proportion to secure an IMF bailout?
This has two sides in my opinion, I know people who used to live pay cheque to pay cheque and are now out of jobs, anecdotally there’s a big increase in beggary, sky rocketing prices of basic food items, petty theft in areas where it wasn’t previously common and so on. From what I can tell, the poor/ middle class are being affected the worse whereas the effects reduce as you go up the socioeconomic ladder.

People who works for their livelihood and grow their own food may need deodorant, only incompetent folks who survives on foreign doles may take pride in flaunting imported items.

If you are in the US then you must have noticed that Pakistani products in Indian store not only look better but also quality is better than Indian products and the reason is that in Pakistan manufacturers have to compete with foreign goods. Pakistan produces all daily consumption products that India produces only better quality.

Back
Top Bottom