Happy thanksgiving day? You mean happy genocide day? Some Reality check by me

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Native american land
map-shrinking-indian-land[3].jpg

Thanksgiving[1].jpg

National Day of Mourning Reflects on Thanksgiving’s Horrific, Bloody History - Massachusetts news - Boston.com
11262010_26plymouth1_photo-7782677-LQBK-3070.jpg

Pictured: Juan Gonzalez of Boston rekindles a small fire symbolizing a ritual for healing and a connection with the "creator" at the National Day of Mourning in Plymouth on Nov. 25, 2010. The National Day of Mourning, now in its 45th year, takes place annually on Thanksgiving. The event honors the death of Native Americans at the hands of early settlers and colonists, as well as shines a light on modern issues facing Native Americans today. This year’s gathering will take place at Cole’s Hill in Plymouth on Nov. 27.

By Matt Juul
November 26, 2014 11:01 AM

While families across the country indulge on their Thanksgiving Day feasts, hundreds will gather at Cole’s Hill in Plymouth on Thursday to commemorate a different tradition: the National Day of Mourning.

The event, held annually on Thanksgiving, is meant to honor Native American ancestors who died due to the European invasion, and to expose the bloody history behind the November holiday.

Now in its 45th year, the National Day of Mourning’s organizers hope to shine a light on modern issues facing Native Americans today, as well as to bring more awareness to the real, horrific story behind Thanksgiving.

“I think there seems to be this myth in this country propagated about Thanksgiving that, ‘Oh, you know, the Pilgrims and the Indians all sat down to have a meal together and they were good friends and everybody lived happily ever after,” says Mahtowin Munro, co-leader of the United American Indians of New England, which organizes the annual event. “It’s really important for us to stand up and talk about what the reality was and to teach others about that reality.”

NATIONAL%20DAY%20OF%20MOURNING-1324405.jpg

American Indians and their supporters marched around Cole's Hill in Plymouth, during the 35th National Day of Mourning on Nov. 25, 2004, after they gathered by the statue of Massasoit on the hill to speak about the conditions faced by indigenous people throughout the Americas.
Chitose Suzuki/The Associated Press

Many Americans are familiar with the traditional story of Thanksgiving where, in 1621, the Pilgrims and Wampanoag people came together to give thanks and share a meal. However, not many are aware of the events that led to the first official “Day of Thanksgiving.”

As a holiday, Thanksgiving began in 1637 when it was proclaimed by governor John Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony to celebrate the safe return of the men who had gone to fight against the Pequot in Mystic, Conn. The fighting led to the enslavement and massacre of over 700 men, women, and children from the New England-based tribe, a bloody precursor to what would be centuries of strife for native peoples in the U.S.

In 1970, Wampanoag leader Wamsutta Frank James hoped to speak about this overlooked aspect of history when he was invited to give a speech at a banquet celebrating the 350th anniversary of the landing of the Pilgrims. After reading a draft of his talking points, the dinner’s organizers decided to cancel Wamsutta’s appearance, which prompted him to start the National Day of Mourning.

“We call it a National Day of Mourning because when the Pilgrims and Columbus all landed over here, that was the end of our lives as we knew them – our land had been stolen,” says Moonanum James, son of Wamsutta. “It was like my father’s speech stated: They opened our graves and they grabbed as much as they could take back.”

Rather than dwell on the sins of the past, the UAINE hopes the National Day of Mourning brings more awarness to the problems facing Native Americans today.

For instance, 28 percent of American Indians and Alaska Natives live in poverty, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’s Office of Minority Health. The National Congress of American Indians Policy Research found that 32.4 percent of the Native American population under the age of 18 also lives in poverty.

According to the the National Court Appointed Special Advocate Association, the mortality rate for American Indian children between the ages of 1 and 14 has increased by 15 percent since 2000, despite the average rate in the U.S. having dropped by 9 percent during the same time period.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration reports that the suicide rate among native youth ages 15 to 24 is 2.5 times higher than the overall national rate.

“Many native people lack access to decent health care,” Munro says. “We have higher rates of diabetes than anybody else in the country. We have higher rates of illness on some reservations.”

Of course, there’s also the inherent racism that still plagues American Indians.

While they aren’t playing on Thanksgiving, the Washington football team with its deplorable logo still refuses to change its name, to the chagrin of many native peoples, including Moonanum.

“It’s no different than [what happened to] the Jews in Nazi Germany with the big nose and all this,” Moonanum says. “How would you like it if I was to go and say, ‘Oh, I’m going to back a team called the Jersey Jews.’ Or if I was going to sit there and say, ‘I’m going up to see the California Catholics,’ and have somebody come out and dress like the Pope and make a mockery out of the Catholic ceremony, the Jewish ceremony. How would you like it?”

plymouth3-240384.jpg

Pastela, a Native American elder, danced in the Town Square during the 30th annual National Day of Mourning observance in Plymouth on Nov. 25, 1999.

Despite the serious issues at hand, the National Day of Mourning does seem to speak to what Thanksgiving should be about, which is bringing people of different faiths and backgrounds together.

The event includes activities such as traditional dances as well as a pot-luck dinner, all of which is organized by volunteers.

“It’s not anti-Thanksgiving,” Moonanum says. “We feed 300-400 people, even up to 500 people on the National Day of Mourning.”

Munro says that the event brings in people from the “four directions,” including native and indigenous peoples from across the country and the world, as well as non-native allies.

“What it speaks to is people joining together for truth and for reality and to speak truth to power,” Munro says. “I think that’s a lot more meaningful than having poor school children dress up as Pilgrims and Indians and do these little, fake pageants.”

Thanksgiving is a day for happiness, and a bit of drinking, followed by either a hangover or almost getting murdered out shopping... so cheers: Here's to me not giving a f*** about anything in the article for today! I'm spending the day with mine and my fiancee's family, the night with my lady friend, and tomorrow in bed nursing a possible hangover. Today I'm having fun. Maybe tomorrow I'll shed a tear for the native Americans, but not today. Oh, and if you don't know, Thanksgiving is an American holiday, one that includes native Americans.

Have a drink... I know I am.
beer_cheers.jpg

Thanksgiving Celebration - Native Americans - if not for the Native Americans we wouldn't even have Thanksgiving.

tumblr_lv68s4gfFk1qdwh13o1_1280[1].png
Thanksgiving is a day for happiness, and a bit of drinking, followed by either a hangover or almost getting murdered out shopping... so cheers: Here's to me not giving a f*** about anything in the article for today! Maybe tomorrow I'll shed a tear for the native Americans, but not today. Oh, and if you don't know, Thanksgiving is an American holiday, one that includes native Americans.

View attachment 157533

Thanksgiving Celebration - Native Americans - if not for the Native Americans we wouldn't even have Thanksgiving.
so if hitler germany would have celebration about one day were jews and nazis set together and had a meal every year to overshadow the gas chambers and other facts it would be okay right?

Thanksgiving is a day for happiness, and a bit of drinking, followed by either a hangover or almost getting murdered out shopping... so cheers: Here's to me not giving a f*** about anything in the article for today! I'm spending the day with mine and my fiancee's family, the night with my lady friend, and tomorrow in bed nursing a possible hangover. Today I'm having fun. Maybe tomorrow I'll shed a tear for the native Americans, but not today. Oh, and if you don't know, Thanksgiving is an American holiday, one that includes native Americans.

View attachment 157533

Cheers!!

Thanksgiving-Dinner-New-York-City[1].jpg

Native american land

Not excusing what happened, but modern America is not responsible for the annihilation of the native Americans.

http://www.econ.yale.edu/~nq3/NANCYS_Yale_Website/resources/papers/NunnQianJEP.pdf

The list of infectious diseases that spread from the Old World to the New is long; the major killers include smallpox, measles, whooping cough, chicken pox, bubonic plague, typhus, and malaria (Denevan, 1976, p. 5). Because native populations had no previous contact with Old World diseases, they were immunologically defenseless. Dobyns (1983, p. 34) writes that “before the invasion of peoples of the New World by pathogens that evolved among inhabitants of the Old World, Native Americans lived in a relatively disease-free environment. . . . Before Europeans initiated the Columbian Exchange of germs and viruses, the peoples of the Americas suffered no smallpox, no measles, no chickenpox, no influenza, no typhus, no typhoid or parathyroid fever, no diphtheria, no cholera, no bubonic plague, no scarlet fever, no whooping cough, and no malaria.”

Although we may never know the exact magnitudes of the depopulation, it is estimated that upwards of 80–95 percent of the Native American population was decimated within the first 100–150 years following 1492 (Newson, 2001). Within 50 years following contact with Columbus and his crew, the native Taino population of the island of Hispanola, which had an estimated population between 60,000 and 8 million, was virtually extinct (Cook, 1993). Central Mexico’s population fell from just under 15 million in 1519 to approximately 1.5 million a century later. Historian and demographer Nobel David Cook estimates that, in the end, the regions least affected lost 80 percent of their populations; those most affected lost their full populations; and a typical society lost 90 percent of its population (Cook, 1998, p. 5).

When the largely Anglo, French, and German ancestors of today's Americans arrived in the New World, it really was largely depopulated. You can blame the Spanish conquistadors for that. Were there further atrocities committed by the settlers? Yes. Were atrocities committed by the native Americans? Yes. Is the state of modern day native Americans deplorable? Yes. Is it due to racism on the part of the rest of American society? Debatable (I say no).

But Thanksgiving isn't a celebration of slaughter, it's a celebration of peace and prosperity. Let's not distract the issue.

I am also happy because there is no work for next two days and then there is weekend.... and also that we will enjoy a relaxing and cheerful cooking day and then special meal in the evening!!

Although I do plan to read further about the history of the holiday after celebrations.

Like the poster above, I have always thought about Thanksgiving as a day of celebration of bounty and prosperity, and acknowledging Almighty's blessings, I feel it's concept is a bit like Eid Al-Fitar celebration.

The Cro-Magnon guys are pissed at the Neanderthals, too.

I feel awful for the native Americans for their plight. However, they are afforded many benefits that are not available to average Americans.

The past is over, All Americans are looking into a brighter future except for Bill Cosby.

I am ready for some hangout this evening. Just closed a Commercial Lease deal on a property I own after working on it for about 6 weeks.

Cheers people !!

View attachment 157533

Thank you buddy, I could not have said it better myself. Cheers!

@senheiser Thanksgiving for most people is just about spending time with family, and friends, and no one thinks about native americans. As far as I am concerned, my ancestors were not living in USA when those stuff that you mentioned has happened. So, I cannot feel connection to it. Anyway, I don't have double standards, and blame the nasty things that has happened, and I hope you have the same approach about what Germans, and Russians have done.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom