What's new

Happy Rakhi

rakhi-thali-decoration.jpg

rt3.jpg

DLRGH127.jpg

rakhi_pooja_thali_1.gif

Happy Rakhi to all brothers and sisters. I am a south Indian where Rakhi is not that much famous but I met a north Indian and he explained that before tieing the Rakhi to any one we should introduce and then tie with whole heart of taking the other person as brother or sister.
So let me introduce myself "I AM ASHOK FROM TAMIL NADU, AND I WHOLE HEARTEDLY TAKE ALL PDF MEMBERS AS MY BROTHES AND SISTERS"
Thank you.

Raksha Bandhan (Hindi: रक्षाबंधन, Punjabi: ਰਕਸ਼ਾਬੰਧਨ, Urdu: رکشا بندھن the bond of protection), or Rakhi (Hindi: राखी, Punjabi: ਰਾਖੀ, Urdu: راکھی), is a festival primarily observed in North India, which celebrates the relationship between brothers and sisters.[1][2] The festival is observed by Hindus, Sikhs, and Muslims.[3][4][5] The central ceremony involves the tying of a rakhi (sacred thread) by a sister on her brother's wrist. This symbolizes the sister's love and prayers for her brother's well-being, and the brother's lifelong vow to protect her.

Alexander the Great and King Puru
According to one legendary narrative, when Alexander the Great invaded India in 326 BC, Roxana (or Roshanak, his wife) sent a sacred thread to Porus, asking him not to harm her husband in battle. In accordance with tradition, Porus a Katoch king gave full respect to the rakhi. On the battlefield, when Porus was about to deliver a final blow to Alexander, he saw the rakhi on his own wrist and restrained himself from attacking Alexander personally.

Rani Karnavati and Emperor Humayun
A popular narrative that is centered around Rakhi is that of Rani Karnavati of Chittor and Mughal Emperor Humayun, which dates to 1535 CE. When Rani Karnavati, the widowed queen of the king of Chittor, realised that she could not defend against the invasion by the Sultan of Gujarat, Bahadur Shah, she sent a Rakhi to Emperor Humayun. Touched, the Emperor immediately set off with his troops to defend Chittor.[18] Humayun arrived too late, and Bahadur Shah managed to sack the Rani's fortress. Karnavati, along with a reported 13,000 other women in the fortress, carried out Jauhar on March 8, 1535, killing themselves to avoid dishonor while the men threw the gates open and rode out on a suicidal charge against Bahadur Shah's troops.[19][20] When he reached Chittor, Humayun evicted Bahadur Shah from fort and restored the kingdom to Karnavati's son, Vikramjit Singh.[19] Although contemporary commentators and memoirs do not mention the Rakhi episode and some historians have expressed skepticism about it, it is mentioned in one mid-seventeenth century Rajasthani account.[21]

Alexander the Great and King Puru
According to one legendary narrative, when Alexander the Great invaded India in 326 BC, Roxana (or Roshanak, his wife) sent a sacred thread to Porus, asking him not to harm her husband in battle. In accordance with tradition, Porus a Katoch king gave full respect to the rakhi. On the battlefield, when Porus was about to deliver a final blow to Alexander, he saw the rakhi on his own wrist and restrained himself from attacking Alexander personally.

Divya - my ancestor Manga was a cavalry commander of Porus, this tradition is not known to us, Roxana was Persian as far as I know.

Divya - my ancestor Manga was a cavalry commander of Porus, this tradition is not known to us, Roxana was Persian as far as I know.

well this practise was hugely practised in north india in ancient times. though the above incident is from tales not a historical record per se but its a sort of legend that porus spared alexander once because of that.

Rakhi was widely popular in ancient times and dates back to mahabharata. Its a bond of a brother and sister and a unending selfless love of brother and sister. once rakhi is tied the girl and the guy are like real brother and sisters.

well this practise was hugely practised in north india in ancient times. though the above incident is from tales not a historical record per se but its a sort of legend that porus spared alexander once because of that.

Rakhi was widely popular in ancient times and dates back to mahabharata. Its a bond of a brother and sister and a unending selfless love of brother and sister. once rakhi is tied the girl and the guy are like real brother and sisters.

It is a very fascinating and beautiful practice - thank you for the explanation. It is good that these ancient beliefs are still maintained in your country. :)

Happy Raksha Bandhan [as we call it in Gujarat] to you too Divya didi. :)

I just have a brother so every year my cousin sisters used to tie me a rakhi but they're all back home in India. Miss them.

But oh well, I guess 'Is saal gits ka kharcha kam hoga.' :P

Back
Top Bottom