What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Which only shows that the Israeli LDP and the Israeli LGBs work fine, but that neither shows capability of the fighter itself, nor does it solve the FOC problems. We have to keep in mind, that apart from the nose and the IFR probe, the FOC requires to reach certain flight performance milestones, just as the full integration of BVR missiles, which however is dependent on a working radar with reasonable performance. If that was so easy, why didn't DRDO had integrated the Derby missiles already with the current nose and radar performance? Why did they evaluated alternatives and waited till they are available?

can someone post the specifications of lca mk1 vs lca mk2

LCA MK1:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3Ypw_Ma1gug/TVeFu_sULnI/AAAAAAAAAHM/zKh2MylRys4/s1600/DSC03688.JPG

LCA MK2:
LIVEFIST: LCA Tejas Mk.2 At Aero India

There aren't more infos out on MK2 yet.

ok then what happened to BVR and Gun firing ?

Exactly, there is more to do or that needed to be done to reach FOC and we now only hear about the problems related to Chobham, but what about the rest?

I think the gun firing will be the last thing to be tested. Apart from that the remaining things should be clarified in aero India, so couple of months of wait for info and 3 months for first plane handover to IAF.

I think the gun firing will be the last thing to be tested. Apart from that the remaining things should be clarified in aero India, so couple of months of wait for info and 3 months for first plane handover to IAF.

why should we wait ? already ground testing done i think (can some one confirm?)

we have sufficient examples in LSP .. cant we test it simultaneously?

what if problems crop up with gun firing? it will delay it na?

B5TS_MFCAAA5Q3r.jpg

Awesome moment India's own naval LCA fighter prototype roared off a shore-based ski jump in Goa today.

2-766101.jpg

3-770889.jpg

LCA%2BNavy%2B1-775441.JPG

FULL OFFICIAL STATEMENT: It was a defining moment when LCA (Navy) Prototype 1 (NP1), the first indigenously designed and developed 4th plus generation combat aircraft designed to operate from the decks of air-craft carriers, took-off majestically from Ski-Jump facility of Shore Based Test Facility at INS Hansa in Goa at about 12:34 PM today the 20th December 2014.

Piloted by Commodore Jaideep Maolankar, the Chief Test Pilot of National Flight Test Centre, the aircraft had a perfect flight with results matching the predicted ones to the letter. The launch was orchestrated by the Test Director Cdr J D Raturi and Safety Pilot Capt Shivnath Dahiya supported by Gp Capt Anoop Kabadwal, Gp Capt RR Tyagi and Lt Cdr Vivek Pandey. The readiness and availability of aircraft for the event was made possible through the relentless effort of HAL, ARDC under the aegis of Mr P S Roy the Executive Director.

Dr Avinash Chander, SA to RM, Secretary DDR&D DG DRDO congratulated the LCA Navy program team and said, "With today's copybook flight of LCA-Navy from the land based ski-jump facility we see our own indigenous combat aircrafts soon flying from the decks of our aircraft carriers.” Congratulating the team Dr Tamilmani, DS & DG Aeronautics, said “A complex task of Ski Jump of NP1 Executed beautifully”.

LCA (Navy) is designed with stronger landing gears to absorb forces exerted by the ski jump ramp during take-off, to be airborne within 200 m as against 1000m required for normal runways. It’s special flight control law mode allows hands-free take-off relieving the pilot workload, as the aircraft leaps from the ramp and automatically puts the aircraft in an ascending trajectory. The maiden successful, picture perfect launch of NP1 from ski jump at Shore Based Test Facility at Goa is a testimony to the tremendous efforts put in by scientists and engineers to design the Naval aircraft, its simulator (that helps pilots to know well in advance how the aircraft will behave on ski jump) and the flight test team that timed the whole event to near perfection. It can be stated with conviction “The indigenous Indian Naval Carrier Borne Aviation program has been launched, literally from the Ski-Jump".

The LCA Navy program team of ADA (Aeronautical Development Agency) is jubilant on achieving the remarkable feat that is the culmination of several years of design, flight test, simulation and management effort with significant contributions from a number of DRDO laboratories. The teams were ably supported by the certification agency, CEMILAC and the quality assurance agency, CRI (LCA). INS Hansa, the Naval Air Station played the perfect host to achieve this significant milestone. The design teams guided by Program Director ADA Shri P S Subramanyam have ensured that all systems meet the stringent requirements of Carrier borne aircraft. Cmde C D Balaji (Retd) as Project Director LCA (Navy) and it’s Chief Designer has been at the helm of affairs right from the concept phase. The team led by Dr Amitabh Saraf indigenously achieved the flight control laws that take care of the problems encountered by a fly by wire aircraft undertaking a Ski Jump Launch.

The Shore Based Test Facility (SBTF) has been created to replicate the aircraft carrier with a Ski Jump for take-off and arresting gear cable for arrested landing; by ADA with the participation of the Indian Navy, Goa shipyard, CCE (R&D) West, Pune, R&D Engg (E) Pune and the Russian agencies providing the design support and specialized equipment.

LIVEFIST: Full Details Of LCA Navy 1st Ski-Jump FlightLIVEFIST: Full Details Of LCA Navy 1st Ski-Jump Flight

Last edited:
It will be done last to determine effect of gun firing vibration and gas generated during firing on the payload configurations that are known to be stable beforehand. My guess.

32 years on, IAF to get Tejas fighters in March

Saturday, December 20, 2014

By : TNN

Thirty-two years after the LCA project was sanctioned, IAF will finally get its first home-grown Tejas fighter in March 2015. The multi-role jet is now ready to fly in all-weather conditions but cannot yet fire long-range missiles as well as undergo mid-air refuelling to double its strike range.
1_img1201214094351.jpg

NEW DELHI: Thirty-two years after the light combat aircraft (LCA) project was sanctioned, IAF will finally get its first home-grown Tejas fighter in March 2015. But before you pop the bubbly, consider this: the multi-role jet is now ready to fly in all-weather conditions but cannot yet fire long-range missiles as well as undergo mid-air refuelling to double its strike range.

The first Tejas will be delivered to IAF at Bangalore in its initial operational clearance (IOC) configuration, which basically means it's fully airworthy now. But the fighter's final operational clearance (FOC) to make it combat-ready — with integration of all weapons like guns, laser-guided bombs and BVR (beyond visual range) missiles as well capable of air-to-air refuelling — has once again been delayed.

The Tejas Mark-II, the fighter IAF really wants with more powerful engines for greater thrust and drag reduction, will start to come only by 2021-2022. With the first preliminary design review for the Mark-II version now over, the plan is to fly its first prototype by 2017 or so.

"The first of IOC standard aircraft has been built and successfully completed its maiden flight on September 30 this year. This aircraft will be handed over to IAF by March 2015 after some upgrades," defence minister Manohar Parrikar told Lok Sabha on Friday.

"The second aircraft will also be ready by March 2015 for its maiden flight. The first 20 aircraft will be built by 2017-2018...FOC is likely to be achieved by end of 2015," he added.

The delivery of the first Tejas will certainly be a red-letter day in the project's meandering saga, with even IAF now confident of the lightweight fighter. "The handling of Tejas and other features are much better than a MiG-21 Bison. But the long delay is the problem," said an officer.

The first Tejas squadron of 20 jets in the IOC configuration will initially be based in Bangalore to resolve teething problems. It will later be shifted to the Sulur airbase in Tamil Nadu, which will also get the second squadron in FOC configuration.

Work is now underway to accelerate the development of the Tejas Mark-II, including airframe changes to take the new American GE-414 engines, which will constitute four squadrons with 80 jets. The first 40 Tejas are to be powered by GE-404 engines.

IAF has been forced to extend the operational life of virtually obsolete MiG-21s, which will now be retired only by 2025, due to the huge delay in the LCA project. The Tejas will meet the lightweight fighter requirements of IAF, which is down to just 34 fighter squadrons, while the heavyweight one is being taken care of by the 272 Russian Sukhoi-30MKIs being inducted for $12 billion. The medium range is to be met by the yet-to-be finalised $20 billion MMRCA (medium multi-role combat aircraft) project to acquire 126 French Rafale fighters.

I started tracking LCA development in my early twenties and now the 'real fighter' Mk-2 will start production in 2022, means I will track the developments in my 40's as well.

We should have fetched the Lavi Design before the Chinese!

Last edited:
I started tracking LCA development in my early twenties and now the 'real fighter' Mk-2 will start production in 2022, means I will stack the developments in my 40's as well.

We should have fetched the Lavi Design before the Chinese!

I started in the year 2001
We may see AMCA before we come in next avatar..:D

Now let us enjoy whatever little we get, let's wait for NP2:tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom