What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are wrong about it. Rectangular exhaust means that the fuselage will be redesigned to house it along with the wing area. It is not mandatory to have rectangular exhausts because F 18E/F has them. The aerodynamics and wind resistance will change. As the F 414 is a larger engine the aft fuselage must be changed to accomodate the engine.

OMFG satish dudeeeeeeeeeeeee its air intake not exhaust almost three members clarified you including me still you dont get it:hitwall::hitwall:

air intake pictures

stockphotopro_25332YDW_no_title.jpg

stock-photo-the-radar-and-air-intake-of-a-f-19877491.jpg

exhaust pictures

jet_engines_afterburner_F-18_fighter_plane.jpg

Last edited:
You people still dont understand...Air intake design directly affects the aft fuselage....you need to think along with the engine here...The dimensions of Ge 414 is a bit larger than the Ge-404. I perfectly know the difference between an Exhaust and an air intake. And you people think that redesigning the air inlet into rectanglar shape is easy which i say is not as easy as it looks. The aft Fuselage will undergo a lot of changes so as to make a non turbulent flow of air into the Y shaped duct inlets.

First understand the concept of air intakes and the rectangular exhausts hace a turbulent airflow in the Y shaped ducts...so there will be a lot of redesign required to the fuselage.

http://icas-proceedings.net/ICAS2002/PAPERS/643.PDF

This is from the EADS research in air intakes and how it affects the performance.

And am sorry I meant air intake in the above post...not "exhaust" pure negligence...sorry.

You people still dont understand...Air intake design directly affects the aft fuselage....you need to think along with the engine here...The dimensions of Ge 414 is a bit larger than the Ge-404. I perfectly know the difference between an Exhaust and an air intake. And you people think that redesigning the air inlet into rectanglar shape is easy which i say is not as easy as it looks. The aft Fuselage will undergo a lot of changes so as to make a non turbulent flow of air into the Y shaped duct inlets.

First understand the concept of air intakes and the rectangular exhausts hace a turbulent airflow in the Y shaped ducts...so there will be a lot of redesign required to the fuselage.

This is from the EADS research in air intakes and how it affects the performance.

And am sorry I meant air intake in the above post...not "exhaust" pure negligence...sorry.

this is what the article concludes that we do require changes in the design of the fuselage if we change the design of the air intakes but no where in the article suggest that there is a change necessary required in the exhaust if there is any change in the design of the air intake.

Air intakes are necessary for all vehicles propelled by airbreathing
means, whether they be aircraft, missiles,
helicopters or, in the future, reusable space launchers.
They will directly condition the propulsive performance
(thrust, drag, weight, thermal properties, lift) of the
vehicles in which they are mounted. They are subject to a
multitude of constraints (Mach number, angle of attack
and yaw angle, possible injections, discretion, engine
failure, among others).
The first step in air intake design is thus to "clearly
identify all of the air intake's specifications".
After a short phase in which the air intake is defined alone
comes the phase in which the external aerodynamic field is
effectively considered with its over- and under-speeds,
vortices, boundary layers, transverse gradients, nose and
other effects.

The second step is thus to "find the best location for the
air intake(s) and, if possible, modify the upstream part
of the fuselage to improve the captured air flow".
Air intakes have very complex internal flows, including
sub-, trans-, and supersonic zones simultaneously. There
are many interactions (shock/shock, shock/boundary layer,
vortex/wall, corner effect) and they are generally
combined. Many non-steady aspects are to be considered,
and notably the buzz which is critical for structural
dimensioning and operating limits. The air intake's
matching with the engine that it supplies must always be
ensured.

The third step is then to "carry out some calculations,
but use essentially previous experience (bibliography,
personal knowledge) and wind tunnel tests at high
Reynolds numbers".

Air intakes must be designed by a "System" approach.
Optimising them is a long and difficult process.

Last edited:
so satish if you can please edit your previous posts and remove the word exhaust it does make sense:cheers:

Dude FBW hasnt got major impact here(Air Intake) is the argument.. FBW is getting affected in increased wing span and rear fuselage getting increased as a result tail rudder will be affected eventually.. What ever you suggested affects aerodynamics and my guess is those test points wont be that much extensive compared to FBW test points... because FBW is a critical one as we are trying to move some of the manual work to the computer.. Further DSI will not be implemented to have a moving part

Did the LCA Project start in 1980 like the Arjun Tank Project. I checked the calendar and it is October 19,2010. You guys think after 30 years LCA will finally enter the IAF?

india is trying to have self reliance for its air power,

now look at time timing of few fighter knows as top as today ...
f 22 ,rafale, typhoon , f 35 and pak fa are developed or being develop by some countries have very good experience of developing a fighter jet and almost its every sub system .

to develop a jet from scratch is not easy task
though lca delayed by initial plans and engine and radar and few system will still from foriegn supplier but still it running quite good and will be in service soon

india is trying to have self reliance for its air power,

now look at time timing of few fighter knows as top as today ...
f 22 ,rafale, typhoon , f 35 and pak fa are developed or being develop by some countries have very good experience of developing a fighter jet and almost its every sub system .

to develop a jet from scratch is not easy task
though lca delayed by initial plans and engine and radar and few system will still from foriegn supplier but still it running quite good and will be in service soon

Kish we don't have to justify our self to idiot.

Just ignore the troll.

this is what the article concludes that we do require changes in the design of the fuselage if we change the design of the air intakes but no where in the article suggest that there is a change necessary required in the exhaust if there is any change in the design of the air intake.

Air intakes are necessary for all vehicles propelled by airbreathing
means, whether they be aircraft, missiles,
helicopters or, in the future, reusable space launchers.
They will directly condition the propulsive performance
(thrust, drag, weight, thermal properties, lift) of the
vehicles in which they are mounted. They are subject to a
multitude of constraints (Mach number, angle of attack
and yaw angle, possible injections, discretion, engine
failure, among others).
The first step in air intake design is thus to "clearly
identify all of the air intake's specifications".
After a short phase in which the air intake is defined alone
comes the phase in which the external aerodynamic field is
effectively considered with its over- and under-speeds,
vortices, boundary layers, transverse gradients, nose and
other effects.

The second step is thus to "find the best location for the
air intake(s) and, if possible, modify the upstream part
of the fuselage to improve the captured air flow".
Air intakes have very complex internal flows, including
sub-, trans-, and supersonic zones simultaneously. There
are many interactions (shock/shock, shock/boundary layer,
vortex/wall, corner effect) and they are generally
combined. Many non-steady aspects are to be considered,
and notably the buzz which is critical for structural
dimensioning and operating limits. The air intake's
matching with the engine that it supplies must always be
ensured.

The third step is then to "carry out some calculations,
but use essentially previous experience (bibliography,
personal knowledge) and wind tunnel tests at high
Reynolds numbers".

Air intakes must be designed by a "System" approach.
Optimising them is a long and difficult process.

yes that is what I am tying to tell.... Air Intakes must be done according to system approach. That take s a lot of time to develop. And hence the delays that are plaguing the LCA will increase further more.

You have now found out the designing of the air intakes directly spells the delay of the aircraft because there is a lot of things affecting the change of intakes.

LCA being a 95% composite surface area airframe has many problems relating to heat. Heat is very important when it comes to composite design and heat must be dissipated. Heat in a particular part is a big problem. I am a dentist...and that is why i give a bevel so as to dissipate the stress and heat in a particular area. That is kinda impossible in a rectangular air intakes.

S according to me...a rectangular intake is not mandatory unless the LCA is designed for stealth or stealthy purposes. The LCA is already delayed and so i dont want to delay it further....

next is the discussion of shock and vortex formation....everyone knows in basic aerodynamics the shock and vortex formation takes place at sharp edges when the air flow is turbulent. The rectangular exhausts that u mention causes more vortices because of sharper edges and hence a lot of air pockets that choke the engine....that is a major concern while redesigning the air intakes from an already existing form to another...

http://espace.uq.edu.au/eserv/UQ:121369/Hua_afmc_16_07.pdf

http://www.engineeringletters.com/issues_v16/issue_3/EL_16_3_20.pdf

This shows that the air intake must also take into consideration the vortex formation in the sharp edges of the rectangular air intakes. Now you might get a Gist of what i am trying to say.

FBW is something that is gonna be switched off during ACM...so it is a hard thing to ignore...but is Close combat the pilot s going to push the aircrafts into the flight envelopes where the aircraft has rarely been in sustainance. Experienced pilots might avoid all those but in war time it is hard to tell if experienced pilots will be flying all the time...attrition must e taken into consideration.

Last edited:
VAYU: Wisdom & Courage: An Assessment Of The LCA Tejas​

85077191.jpg

The images are not that clear as I have used the printscreen option to copy from Scribd.

Benny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom