What's new

HAL Tejas | Updates, News & Discussions-[Thread 2]

I-Derby ER was also test fired along with python 5

BTW python5 is one of the best WVRAAM in the world with 360° engagement capability. By the end of this year Tejas will be capable of firing R73 Archer, i-derby, Astra mk1, ASRAAM, Python5, i-derby ER.

It is a baap of all close combat missile.

It is a baap of all close combat missile.

Python 5 has very high off-bore sight ability so yes it is really deadly within WVR range. Pilots in opposing fighters will find it near impossible to shake off a Python 5 fired at them from 10-15 km range. Very hard to spoof it as well, due to the dual IR and UV band seeker.

But the ASRAAM offers longer range and a larger motor size so basically can take down targets at near BVR range. It also has a much larger NEZ than the Python V due to the larger motor giving it much greater acceleration and range. Also has an imaging seeker, which will be very hard to spoof.

Also, an ASRAAM has actually tested an OTS (Over The Shoulder) shot successfully. In 2009 an RAAF F/A-18 destroyed a test target 5 km behind it using ASRAAM, demonstrating a real ‘over the shoulder’ capability.

Actually even the R-73E is deadly in combination with a HMDS. But it is now growing old and the newer generation missiles are able to pull even more Gs and have better IIR seekers. And the IAF isn't seemingly interested in the R-73E's Russian replacement, the RVV-MD (R-74M). The R-74M basically has a new two-band IR seeker that increases off-bore-sight angles to +/-60 and extends acquisition range to 15-20km. Could also be related to the Ukranian-Russian relations being poor, which meant that the Ukranian seeker had to be replaced with a Russian one, which I don't think has been done as yet.

Basically the Tejas with it's DASH HMDS and Python 5, R-73E or ASRAAM will be deadly and best avoided by any fighter in WVR.

Tejas Mk1 flying slow to keep up with the slow flying HTT-40, HJT-36 Sitara and Hawk-i prototype

E9ircwkVgAQrT8P

It is a big day for Indian aviation. The last time an indigenous fighter was deployed in a combat role at the border was when HF-24 Maruts were still in service. That is of course if we discount the Ajeet, which was an indigenous development of the Gnat.

Times of India is also reporting it as are other national newspapers, so it seems genuine. The No.45 Squadron Tejas fighters have apparently been deployed at forward air bases since June 2020.

Livefist is coming out with an article on this news shortly. :)
Spectacular images shared by the ETP Grp Capt HV Thakur
E-HI9UeVUAAp4Qg

Rocket assisted take off(RATO) on the Marut
E-HI94qVQAcZUh9

E-HI-XVUcAE1VB-

E-HI-znUUAE7JoE

Great going, shows confidence of leadership in own product, great inspiration for the young cadre.

He was one of the earliest test pilots associated with the LCA program. Hence, the familiarity and confidence with the aircraft.

Uttam AESA radar's performance is quite impressive..detecting another Tejas fighter (which has a RCS far smaller than the regular 5 sq meter used as baseline) at 82 NM or 150 km.

E6vzWfMWEA4JqCd

And HAL has signed an MoU with LRDE (the lab that designed and built the Uttam AESA radar prototypes) for ToT related to Uttam AESA. HAL will be the lead integrator of this radar on Tejas.

Interesting.
@HALHQBLR
&
@DRDO_India
have also signed a MoU for transfer of technology related to LRDE's Uttam AESA fighter radar, for which HAL will be the lead integrator.

Twitter link
And HAL has signed a MoU with MMTC in India for palm oil imports from Malaysia as a barter against possible Tejas Mk1A sale.

From HAL's Annual Report

From the latest
@HALHQBLR
Annual Report: 'MoU signed with with Ms MMTC as channelizing partner for import of palm oil, for likely countertrade for sale of LCA-Tejas to Royal Malaysian Air force.'

Twitter link

Back
Top Bottom