What's new

HAL LCH| Updates and Discussions

Serial production of IDAS for India

Saab recently received two serial production orders for the Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (IDAS) for the Indian Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv.

Image: Saab has received production orders for the Integrated Defensive Aids Suite (IDAS) for the Indian Advanced Light Helicopter Dhruv. Photo: Marketing Department HAL.

12/22/2008 The combined value of these orders from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is approximately SEK 196 million.

The IDAS will be installed on India’s weapon systems version of Advanced Light Helicopter, also known as Dhruv, to provide these platforms with Electronic Warfare self-protection. The helicopter features a modern glass cockpit with which the IDAS system is fully integrated.

A long-term relationship

“We are proud of being a supplier for this advanced helicopter and look forward to continuing our cooperation and long term relationship with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited,” says Micael Johansson, Managing Director for Saab Avitronics.

These two production orders follow initial orders for development and prototype deliveries as well as the first series production order received earlier this year for the Indian Dhruv helicopter.

The development and production will take place at Saab Avitronics in Centurion, South Africa.

IDAS is the world’s most comprehensive integrated Electronic Warfare suite for airborne platforms and has been the choice for the Denel Rooivalk and Oryx, NH Industries NH90, Agusta Westland Super Lynx 300 and A109, Boeing CH47 Chinook, Eurocopter Cougar and Super Puma.

Saab - Technology for a Changing World - Serial production of IDAS for India

shchinese.... Oh... signs of Chinese frustration... increasingly more Chinese are becoming jealous of India... earlier it was not like this... infact most Indians admire chinese acheivements but chinese members are just spitting venom and sarcasm...

Don't worry sir... LCH, LCA, and Arjun will be taken care by Indians, if you find them being delayed just rejoice it till you retire but signs of spitting venom just indicates a hidden frustration or jealousy which you are trying to hide. So, just rejoice do not spit venom. OK. Dont spoil my high opinion about chinese by behaving like a indecent troll.

shchinese.... Oh... signs of Chinese frustration... increasingly more Chinese are becoming jealous of India...

Jealous of India? Ha! The only ones who are jealous of India are your OWN suppressed minorities and "untouchables" who aren't offered equal rights and facilities.;)

Dont spoil my high opinion about chinese by behaving like a indecent troll.

Comparing your post count with Shchinese, you're more vulnerable to be tagged as a troll.

As for LCH, let's not forget that HAL dhruv was a success. Even though i'm not aware of the development specifications of the project, It's known as a decent transport and reconnaissance helicopter.

But in my opinion, LCH would be a failure. When you look at the military developments from India, MOST of them are failures. Arjunk and LCA being the top most.

What i CAN tell from the early pictures of LCH is that it would require Six AA energizer batteries.

Best of luck ;)

Last edited:
I have been recently asking myself what kind of life those normal average Indians can have if the current regime of India doesn't choose to be the world trouble maker. basically:

more schools/hospitals/roads/sea ports/airports can be built. however, the current situation is India is upgrading dozens of air forces bases while there is no decent international airport in most of its population centers.

example here:
an average airport in a 3rd class Chinese city. (first class cities: Beijing/shanghai/Hong Kong etc, second class: Nanjing/Shenzhen/Guangzhou/Tianjing etc.)

I just don't understand when you don't have a strong industral sector, why you just waste all your money on such Combat Helicopters? how about investing more money on electronics industry? how about helping your car industry to produce better cars?

street in new delhi:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/photos/uncategorized/new_delhi_street2_nr.jpg

when millions of troops are being taught how to shoot, how about teach the population more science and more technology? how about spend more on university education? how about upgrade some campuses?

however, the evil regime doesn't just stop there, they drag other nations into the arm race, they operate aircraft carriers for offensive missions, thus all neighbor countries have to spend more on navy gears. they imports a lot of fighters thus other countries have also need to spend less on education/infrastructure as they all have to keep up.

Now we have this LCH project. FFS, how about just let we people in developing country have a better go and not to start another round of arm race?

:tdown:
Car Industry produce better cars? who are u kidding? the chinese got sued by GM for copying many of their models! lol u guys copied the korean Daewoo which was later bought by GM!!! I know chinese cars, I know Indian cars, I prefer the Indian ones because atleast its original and not COPIED!

LCA was started in 1990, for ur info.

OK, keep focusing on LCH and I hope you guys can get it ready for active service before I retire.

make sure your LCH is going to be better than this:

http://karosszek.blog.hirszerzo.hu/__upload/picture/42/1_wz10_1.jpg

:cheers:

I dont know a thing about what what you are talking about..!! But see we have got independance only for 60 years... and we dont have an dictatorial kinda government unlike china.. as we are a democracy..!!! So obvoiusly it will take time get a collective opinion or a consensus..!! and regarding LCH if you say indians are not going to make it.. then thats surely going to be a motivation for every indians involved in it..!!! I dont know whether they got anything from abroad or not.. but from what i heard.. they were making these indigeniously..!!!! and hey as a country which gained independance through non vilonce method... we would be more than willing to reduce the defence spending if every of our neighbours do the same.. which no body is going to do...!!!

Car Industry produce better cars? who are u kidding? the chinese got sued by GM for copying many of their models! lol u guys copied the korean Daewoo which was later bought by GM!!! I know chinese cars, I know Indian cars, I prefer the Indian ones because atleast its original and not COPIED!

LCA was started in 1990, for ur info.

LCA has been discussed in detail under the relevant thread. Kindly read those and you would understand.

LCA was sanctioned in 1983 not in 1990. Its 25 years old program and still in testing phase. Here is one link that is relevant:

Sanctioned in '83, LCA Tejas is yet to take off-India-The Times of India

LCA has been discussed in detail under the relevant thread. Kindly read those and you would understand.

LCA was sanctioned in 1983 not in 1990. Its 25 years old program and still in testing phase. Here is one link that is relevant:

Sanctioned in '83, LCA Tejas is yet to take off-India-The Times of India

No this is not as simple

From august interview

Programme Director (CA) and Director, Aeronautical Development Agency, P.S. Subramanyam

One keeps hearing conflicting stories on the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA). What is the update on the project?

To understand the LCA, it is necessary to go to the beginning. People say that the project started in 1983. The truth is that the Air Staff Requirements (ASR) itself was not available in 1983. All that had happened was that the country had conceptually decided on a need for the LCA and a sanction of Rs 560 crore was made. It took about five to six years to arrive at a definition of what the LCA should be. The ASR was given in 1985 and by 1988 we understood what the air force was looking for. After this, we started the project definition studies and the summary of these studies stated that seven prototypes should be made as is normally done all over the world. But in 1990-91, the government felt that so much of a risk could not be taken and the requirement of seven prototypes was split into two phases: two technology demonstrators (TD) followed by five prototypes. In the TD stage we were told that no sensor or weaponisation was required; only certain technologies were to be demonstrated. In April 1993, an amount of Rs 2,188 crore was allocated only for the TD, implying that before this, funds were not available to launch the full scale programme. The technologies needed to be demonstrated were composite-based wing structure, digital fly-by-wire flight control system, all digital avionics and computer-based control of electro-mechanical systems.

In January 2001, the TD1 was flown and the government saw the promise in the programme. In November 2001, the government gave the go-ahead to start work on the proto-vehicles (PV), which are basically meant for sensors and weapons’ integration. Till this time, the government did not fund us to make a fighting machine or PVs for which funds to the tune of Rs 3301 crore were released then. The sanction fund of Rs 3,301 crore is not only for the proto-vehicles but for the limited serial production (LSP) of eight aircraft, including the infrastructure needed for them to establish a production line of eight aircraft per annum. This was the turning point for the programme. In June 2002, we flew the TD2 and in November 2003, we flew PV1.

There was a transformation at this stage as we realised that an entire generation of electronics had changed by 2001. Fortunately, by 1998-99, we decided to make the entire avionics of the aircraft with an open system of architecture. Hence, the PV2 that flew in December 2005 was with an open system of architecture. The advantage is that it allows us to tackle obsolescence of electronic hardware. In this process, we were able to make nearly 80 per cent of avionics indigenously. Today, the Indian Air Force (IAF) is very happy with us on this issue because we have the most current concept of avionics in the aircraft. In December 2006 we flew PV3, and in April 2007 the LSP1 version. The LSP2 was flown recently in June 2008. Today, we have seven aircraft in flying condition: TD1, TD2, PV1, PV2, PV3, LSP1 and LSP2. Our first trainer aircraft is round the corner, probably in another two months. We are now very close to programme completion. We are looking for Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) in December 2010 and Final Operational Clearance (FOC) by 2012. In March 2006, the IAF placed the order for 20 aircraft in IOC configuration.

Today, in terms of the aircraft, we look at two major aspects. The first is the flight envelope expansion, implying the altitude and speed of the aircraft as well as acceleration and manoeuvres. In this respect, we have already validated all the parameters except the angle of attack. We are presently, at 20 when the required is 22. The second aspect is sensors and weapons integration. We have integrated the day and night attack sensor system, what is called the Litening Pod and the helmet-mounted display system (HMDS) for slewing the radar and litening pod towards the target. What is now pending is radar integration and release of weapons. We did the sea trials in June 2007 at Arakonam. In November 2007, we fired a close combat missile (CCM) from the aircraft in Goa and recently (May 28-June 4) we completed the hot weather trials in Nagpur.

we would be more than willing to reduce the defence spending if every of our neighbours do the same.. which no body is going to do...!!!

Since you missed the news, let me refresh your memory that Pakistan already did that expecting India to do the same as well which by the way never happened and we all know why, doesnt fit India's equation of war Hysteria and domination.:disagree:

LCH's maiden flight trail in May-June

Bangalore, Jan 17: The first flight of the Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) will be conducted in May-June, defence major Hindustan Aeronautics Limited Chairman, Ashok Baweja said.

HAL had earlier fixed the trials during last March, but postponed it.

"We took up LCH project two years ago. We had exciting results. First flight will take place in May-June," the HAL Chairman said in his address at the Air Chief Marshal L M Katre Memorial Lecture here.

HAL has got orders for 260 aircraft valued at Rs 17,000 crore and at least 80 aircraft will roll out from its hangars this year, he said.

Dhruv helicopter will undergo cold weather trails from today, Baweja said.

HAL, which is a USD two billion company now, plans to double its revenues in the coming two years and touch USD 11 billion by 2011, he said.

The company has decided to spend Rs 25,000 crore on development and design activities and to produce 350 aircraft by 2012, Baweja said.

HAL is working on a navigation system and development of indigenous cockpit and cabin fibre, he said.

It was creating technology parks within its factories to promote private participation in production of equipment, Baweja said.

Dhruv ALH's Defensive Aids Suite

The CIDAS defensive aids suite has already selected by the Indian Air Force (IAF) for installation on board its 16 armed Dhruv ALH helicopters on order from HAL, and will also find its way on board the Light Combat Helicopter, whose first prototype will be rolled out this March. In addition, the CIDAS will also most likely be on board the to-be-upgraded Ka-28PL, Ka-31 and Sea King Mk42B helicopters and the initial 16 yet-to-be-selected shipborne ASW/ASV helicopters of the Indian Navy, and also on the 60 armed Dhruv ALHs that the Indian Army will be procuring for its projected Combat Aviation Brigade, which will also be employed for vertical envelopment operations in support of expeditionary amphibious warfare campaigns. A version of CIDAS also exists for combat aircraft and will in all probability be selected for installation on board the Su-30MKI in the near future, since the Su-30MKIs lack on-board missile approach warning systems and laser warning systems. The RMAF Su-30MKMs are already equipped with CIDAS.

Since you missed the news, let me refresh your memory that Pakistan already did that expecting India to do the same as well which by the way never happened and we all know why, doesnt fit India's equation of war Hysteria and domination.:disagree:

dude spending 3% of the GDP does not contribute to hysteria and domination just because pakistan feels unsafe.... you guys are spending more than 10% of your GDP if our govt were doing that (they will never do that ) the whole case would have been different :cheesy:

DONT COMPARE DEFENCE SPENDING IN TERMS OF $ COMPARE IT ON THE SCALE OF GDP :pop:

Will it be displayed in Bangalore aero India 09

in AI 2007 there was a mock up the bird is really huge it looks small in those CG drawings i expect the same full scale mock up to be displayed again :tsk:

Arjun is a failure, this is called FACT. LCA have been in development for more than 25 years, but still in the laughable "testing" phase. this is called failure. based on such recent R&D record, LCH has very high chance to be another BIG failure.

I am a strong believer that not every nation is capable of building modern weapons, your projects in the past 20-30 years have successfully proved that India is just one of those nations.

On the other hand, Pakistan is so different, you see new MBTs and fighters got designed by joint projects with different countries, sure it is still not 100% designed in Pak, but I can clearly see the trend. What you have on hand?

LCA's engine (which is far simple than the WS-10A used in J-10/J-11B) can't be designed in India, seeking foreign helps now, arjun received numerous foreign helps, but still failure. tell me why?

because not every nation is capable of building modern weapons, however we now have this LCH joke again.

dude we accept our failures not copy some other country's tech.and claim that we are successful in everything .there is something called R&D which i am sure you guys are not even spending a dollar on it
WE ARE PROUD OF OUR MOUSE YOU CAN BE PROUD OF YOUR CLONED FLAME BREATHING MONSTER.:woot:

Back
Top Bottom