What's new

"Hair loss" becomes new buzzword among young Chinese

You shave bald?

My barber cost only SGD3 every month, and it's pretty decent. :lol:

Plenty of cheap haircuts in Singapore.

https://thesmartlocal.com/read/cheap-haircuts

One thing I miss about SG for sure! Canada has some good barbers at reasonable price, but nowhere near that good (normally starts at 10 - 15 bucks).

The worst was in HK, costs so much there (even tho I was just a kid).

With self-shearing...its not too bad (I did so in college days to save money)...the clipper comes with hair length attachments so you dont need to go bald, just kinda preset length all around heh (real simple buzzcut). Once you get good at it, you can leave more on the top etc.

One thing I miss about SG for sure! Canada has some good barbers at reasonable price, but nowhere near that good (normally starts at 10 - 15 bucks).

The worst was in HK, costs so much there (even tho I was just a kid).

With self-shearing...its not too bad (I did so in college days to save money)...the clipper comes with hair length attachments so you dont need to go bald, just kinda preset length all around heh (real simple buzzcut). Once you get good at it, you can leave more on the top etc.

There are no cheap barbers in HK?

There are no cheap barbers in HK?

Not where I lived...in general its pretty pricey compared to SG for the same thing. SG also has more of the heartlander kind of areas/ppl mixed in pretty well....whereas HK I found lot more insulation on it overall so the prices on certain things more pricey in HK. Other things are cheaper/faster in HK tho, it depends.

Just curious, what do you find cheaper in HK?

Fair number of groceries were cheaper I remember (given China right next door...whereas Malaysia + importing only so good for SG price wise).

Don't think there was anything as subsidized/cheap transport wise in Singapore like Star Ferry in HK. It's pretty ridiculous how cheap it is.

MRT vs MTR/KCR (i.e train) about the same give or take. Taxis same deal. COE is there in singapore...but HK has high parking costs...so about same again.

The buses were generally cheaper in HK I remember...especially the longer distance you went (given they were often flat fare).

Speed wise, the Hong Kongers were fast when it came to banking, financial services, sales, bargains, shopkeepers etc (though some of this was because many did not really care for using English banter etc)...whereas I found in Singapore more ppl like to chit chat a bit because English is much more permeated.

Restaurants generally Singapore is lot cheaper for same kind of stuff....though service may be bit faster in HK, it varies.

Govt services was about the same, SG may even be a bit faster.

I always found Changi to be superior to Kai Tak and then Chep Lap Kok.

This was all my comparison in somewhat early pre-mass internet days (i.e 90s - mid 2000s) so things likely changed on many fronts that I can no longer quite gleam since I just visit now rather than live.

Speed wise, the Hong Kongers were fast when it came to banking, financial services, sales, bargains, shopkeepers etc (though some of this was because many did not really care for using English banter etc)...whereas I found in Singapore more ppl like to chit chat a bit because English is much more permeated.

I think it's more due to culture. Their pace of life is much faster than ours and their people are more direct/cut to the chase. You share tables during lunch there and you can get scolded if you don't order fast or you continue seating after finish consuming.
In comparison Singapore is more chillax and you can chit-chat a bit after finish eating.

Pretty cheap (15RMB?).

In Taiwan, 100元 for a quick haircut plus hair wash (15-20 mins). In Mainland, 20-25元 (also about 100 Taiwan Yuan).
These days 20-25 RMB for haircut is rare without a membership, in a tier 2 city like Wuhan or HangZhou, where I stay a bit when I go back. You can find some at this price range or even cheaper ones but it is not easy. They all brand and decorate their shops as hair salon or a “design” workshop as opposed to barber but most people just want a simple haircut without spending too much.o_O

Last edited:
You share tables during lunch there and you can get scolded if you don't order fast or you continue seating after finish consuming.

Yep similar thing can be found in New York City especially (in North America) compared to other cities here and more smaller towns and rural etc. New Yorkers aren't being rude necessarily, they just putting time at a real premium, the culture builds up from that. Like you better know what you want when it comes your time to order etc....or they will let you know their displeasure heh.

These days 20-25 RMB for haircut is rare without a membership, in a tier 2 city like Wuhan or HangZhou, where I stay a bit when I go back. You can find some at this price range or even cheaper ones but it is not easy. They all brand and decorate their shops as hair salon or a “design” workshop as opposed to barber but most people just want a simple haircut without spending too much.o_O

I don't know how they are able make money with prices so low in Singapore. o_O

https://dollarsandsense.sg/here-is-...s-you-3-80-for-a-hair-cut-really-makes-money/

Thanks for sharing this interesting article about how "hair loss" has become a buzzword for young people in China to express their stress levels. It's interesting to see how language evolves and reflects societal trends. It's also good to know that many young people are using humor as a coping mechanism for their anxiety. I hope that they find healthy ways to manage their stress and take care of their physical and mental health.

Mainly genetic with little contribution of external factors.
Blame your genetics, dudes.

I know this reply is a bit late, but this topic caught my attention. It's fascinating how young people in China use "hair loss" as a buzzword to describe their stress levels. It's good to hear that many are using it as a way to relieve anxiety through humor. If anyone is concerned about their hair loss, they may want to consider exploring options like prp hair restoration in Bel Air ca. It's also worth noting the concern some have about hair loss occurring at a younger age and the potential vulnerability of certain professions to hair loss. Overall, it's an intriguing insight into the language and culture of young people in China.

"Hair loss" becomes new buzzword among young Chinese

(Xinhua) 15:33, January 14, 2019

View attachment 532943

:lol:

"Hair loss" has become a buzzword for young people in China as a way to show the stress they experience in daily lives, according to a recent survey by the China Youth Daily.

In the survey covering 1,901 people aged between 18 to 35, about 64 percent of the young people said they would describe themselves as "nearly going bald" to others when feeling stressed.

"Many people around me, including most of my roommates, worry about hair loss," said a college student in Beijing.

Yet she believes that many young people do not actually suffer from baldness, instead, they use the words as a way to make a joke out of their stressful lives.

The student echoes the majority of those surveyed, as over 67 percent of the people said the buzzword was used in an attempt to relieve anxiety.

"Such jokes are made by many young people born in the 1990s who are aware of the 'crisis' that they are getting closer to middle age," said a master's candidate from southwest China's Sichuan Province.

However, about 35 percent of those surveyed believed hair loss is occurring at a younger age.

Over 60 percent of the young people agreed that those involved in certain professions, such as law and computer science, could be more vulnerable to hair loss.

View attachment 532941

View attachment 532942

http://en.people.cn/n3/2019/0114/c90000-9537544.html

@long_ :lol:
I don’t think this is an accurate reflection of South East and Far Eastern people. From my personal experience they don’t tend to shed their hair so early in life.

Back
Top Bottom