What's new

Haier’s Phone Assembly Plant in Pakistan to Start Operations from April 1st

Max Pain

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Haier-750x350.jpg

Haier will start operations for its first state of the art local manufacturing /assembling of mobile handsets unit in Pakistan from April 1, 2016, said Tahir Mushtaq Spokesperson of the Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication.

Haier is already operating in the country and has established laptop manufacturing unit in Lahore, however from the April 1, it will roll-out smart phones/ mobile hand set assembling unit, said Musthaq while talking to this scribe.

The move would not only help in reducing the import bill as smart phones are the demand of the day, but will also help bring good investment and create job opportunities for the youth, he added.

According to tax incentive package, given for manufacturing of mobile phones in the budget 2015-16, following incentives are available:

• Income tax exemption for five years.
  • 90 % depreciation allowance for plants, machinery and production line equipment used for manufacturing of mobile phones certified by the PTA in first year.
  • Customs duty and sales tax exemption on the import of plants, assembly line machinery and equipment.
In the wake of new government policy facilitating local manufacturing /assembling of mobile handsets, a delegation led by Zeshan Qureshi, CEO of Haier Groups of companies called on Minister of State for IT &Telecom Anusha Rahman on establishing mobile manufacturing/assembling facility in Pakistan.

According to CEO, Haier considers Pakistan a very lucrative and flourishing market for mobile handset manufacturing/assembling particularly with the uptake of 3G/4G services in Pakistan, and hence Haier intends to inaugurate its first state of art assembling unit in April and requested the Minister for its formal inauguration.

The Minister appreciated their endeavor and said that local manufacturing/assembling is at the core of telecom policy to complete the ecosystem of provisioning quality and affordable services to all for ubiquitous development. She highlighted that special incentives have been provided in budget 2015-16 for promotion for local manufacturing/assembling.

She further reiterated that after 3G/4G roll out, there was emerging demand for cost effective handset which gives substantial room for investment in this area. Minister assured the delegates that government is committed to provide all possible facilitation for this new mobile manufacturing business to establish mobile manufacturing industry in Pakistan.

Anusha Rahman further stated that Pakistan has educated and skilled young labor force which makes Pakistan an attractive destination for foreign direct investment and appreciated the role of Haier in playing a lead role in setting local manufacturing of smart phones & laptops. She said the move will create employment opportunities and add depth to the ICT sector of Pakistan.

http://propakistani.pk/2016/01/29/h...-pakistan-to-start-operations-from-april-1st/

Finally a much awaited news, Now atleast we can say that the phone is produced in Pakistan to some extent.
I hope once they start Assembling phones, the degree of localization increases as years pass.

They started from

Refrigerators, Washing Machines, Air Conditioners
Then
Microwaves assembly
Then
Deep Freezers factory
Then
Television
Then
Fully Automatic Washing Machine
Then
Laptops

and now Smart Phones :D :D

They started from

Refrigerators, Washing Machines, Air Conditioners
Then
Microwaves assembly
Then
Deep Freezers factory
Then
Television
Then
Fully Automatic Washing Machine
Then
Laptops

and now Smart Phones :D :D

Something many other companies should learn,
many ventures here had ended here because they rushed.
look at Hair how slowly they expanded in Pakistan,
Contrary to the popular belief that people here in pakistan dont prefer Chinese products cuz of Quality Issues, Haier has been able to produce Quality products and has earned customer Satisfaction.

Smartphones however are a different ball game but due to their successes and now Good Will id expect the sales of their phones to grow and now after Localization, the phones will be cheaper which shall only contribute in furthur sales.

Something many other companies should learn,
many ventures here had ended here because they rushed.
look at Hair how slowly they expanded in Pakistan,
Contrary to the popular belief that people here in pakistan dont prefer Chinese products cuz of Quality Issues, Haier has been able to produce Quality products and has earned customer Satisfaction.

Smartphones however are a different ball game but due to their successes and now Good Will id expect the sales of their phones to grow and now after Localization, the phones will be cheaper which shall only contribute in furthur sales.
What is the most popular smartphone brand in Pakistan, beside iphone?

What is the most popular smartphone brand in Pakistan, beside iphone?
In androids, Samsung, and now with increasing popularity Huawei.
Q-Mobile had a good run, but has no wow factor.

Dont know about Haier but Huawei is good, just little heavy to samsung.

Samsung is the most expensive android smartphone for sure. In China, I guess Xiaomi is more affordable. This is a very competitive market, not sure if Haier can succeed.

Truth be told Huawei could potentially end up being the next big boy in the smartphone market, analysis in the UK and now USA are expecting the company to become the 3rd most popular smart phone brand within the next 5 years.

Huawei are making good smart phones at an affordable price, i can easily see them dominating the 3rd world markets over samsung and apple

What is the situation on phone theft? I remember I was in Pakistan 10 years ago and phone theft was all the rage

Haier-750x350.jpg

Haier will start operations for its first state of the art local manufacturing /assembling of mobile handsets unit in Pakistan from April 1, 2016, said Tahir Mushtaq Spokesperson of the Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication..

MUAHAHAAHAHA!!! Love it when a plan comes together. I've been talking about this for two years. Laptops, then Smart Phones (Mobile computing really), and then Tablets and Consumer Electronics!!!

Offshoot of this, would be development of a local Semi conductor industry and significant R&D for future product development. This R&D will benefit every other existing or new industry across Pakistan and will put her in the category of Korea in the next 15 years. Not to mention hundreds of thousands of high paying hardware, software and management jobs this industry will create :tup::tup:

MUAHAHAAHAHA!!! Love it when a plan comes together. I've been talking about this for two years. Laptops, then Smart Phones (Mobile computing really), and then Tablets and Consumer Electronics!!!

Offshoot of this, would be development of a local Semi conductor industry and significant R&D for future product development. This R&D will benefit every other existing or new industry across Pakistan and will put her in the category of Korea in the next 15 years. Not to mention hundreds of thousands of high paying hardware, software and management jobs this industry will create :tup::tup:

Let's hope this plan succeeds, semiconductor industry requires massive Govt support. Also you may need to revise the 15 year time line, it will take more than that for a proper Electronics Industry to mushroom in the country

Let's hope this plan succeeds, semiconductor industry requires massive Govt support. Also you may need to revise the 15 year time line, it will take more than that for a proper Electronics Industry to mushroom in the country

:rofl: :angel: sorry, jealous? The 15 year was exaggerated actually. The actual target is 10 years :enjoy:. There is no reason for any "government support" here (which they already have by the way, if you read the tax and profit incentives carefully :lol:).

There is a growing user base in Pakistan, then there is the Chinese, Central Russian and the ME user base. And Haier brand just purchased the Consumer Elecronics division of General Electric. So these products being developed in Pakistan, will make it across the globe. You'll start to see profits within the next 3-5 years. But to develop the entire Semi Conductor industry like KOREA, I am giving it 15 years (although the current government in Pakistan wants to speed up that work like the CPEC and do it in 10 years). But I am being conservative in my estimates!!! :enjoy:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom