What's new

Haier is going to manufacture 150,000 laptops in Pakistan

Your focus is on standards for the product but not whether it will actually improve the process or provide an actual leap to Pakistan. Meeting CE standards is one thing, being able to make improvements on the product being sold is another.

The T.I factory in Chengdu was making chips that we were using for our radio systems. However, at a place across town was another factory that was REPLICATING the process to create chips like it. The only difference was that they were still not getting the QC right at the time. Which is why the T.I C6600 worked all the time while the facsimile did not. But they did learn how to make something, so a year later we were able to switch to the other(and cheaper) option without much ado. It is this which I refer to and not the whole shebang about conformance and business processes.

If you read my previous post, my focus isn't on the "standards" alone. A manufacturing facility like this, establishes basis of whatever the first assembly item is. In this case, its the laptops. Since you know TI, you also know that there are "standards" but then there is every country's internal process too, by which they make their IP (products). So that has to be adapted and learned.

So this first manufacturing will bring ALL these things together, People, Process and Technology = Success Product. Now just like anything else, the people will do this and many people will be offered better jobs elsewhere and the process of evolution would start. People who'd leave Haer's manufacturing line, would go to a potential future assembly line of LG or Sony or whatever. The resume, the capability and the infrastructure will exist for Pakistan to be able to talk to global tech manufacturing companies and offer these services. That itself, is a trillion dollar industry if you do it right and they are doing it right by starting this.

Next, venture out to Mobile phone, Tablets, eventually LED and other TV's and all. Slowly, more investors will start stuff inside Pakistan, where the same talent, who was assembling things, would then start to pioneer.

Why are Indians so successful at this point in the US? They were NO where at this level in the late 90's and 2000's....what changed?? SAME process like what Pakistan is about to go through with consumer electronics.....they came in, learned American systems, worked with lower end support roles and slowly, slowly, took command of stuff they were working on. 20 years later, these guys now have a ton of CEO's CIO's, CTO's because the environment gave them that opportunity. Similarly, this Haer deal is VERY significant as it comes with TOT and it will give Pakistani hi-tech labor that "environment" that Indians found in the US. Where you have access to advance tech and after you become a master of your domain, you then get created and thing about "what else" can be done with your knowledge and technology....growth comes out of an already set environment.

too much expectation from just assembling laptop, aint it
what technology is Pakistan getting as a result of this assembly. Hair herself dont make the entire laptop, HDD made by someone, mem chips made by someone, CPU made by someone, hair only designs the motherboard form chips made by someone and probably wrote bios for that motherboard if not bought from someone. The first and foremost technology that Pakistan need is to send their jounalists for some kind of basic tech learning so they write decent articles about it.

I doubt if Haier makes the motherboard also, 90-95% of the motherboards are made by Taiwanese companies like Asus, Gigabyte, etc. It is just cheaper to buy from them and assemble the whole thing. In fact laptop or desktop assembling is quite low-tech, and I am sure Pakistan also has a big market for assembled PCs. For laptop you just need a customized casing instead of a standard PC box. Probably the only two reasons behind Pakistani companies are not doing it because: 1. Margins are very tight, and 2. Creating a brand is a difficult task. Otherwise, a consumer laptop or PC assembled by a Pakistani company with good quality material would run just as fine as any other brand.

Essentially, they are putting things together in a box and seeing if it turns on like it is supposed to. Had the news been about setting up a semiconductor manufacturing plant or one that makes digital signal processors. I might have given it some merit.
Semiconductor manufacturing requires huge investment and technical expertise , infact we are trying to set fab company for some time

Instead of arguing like silly and making yourself look like someone who has NO idea what they are discussing, how about you do your research? You are making your entire nation look like fools when you post crap like this, like a stubborn 14 year old child doesn't want to understand what someone is telling him.

Are you sure that main-boards are so simple to put together that you just connect them and put chips on them? Are you sure?

AS a manufacturer running an international ship, with ISO and ANSI compliance, you have to have a certain defect ratio and a level of engineering manufacturing (Japan thus far is the best at it, and then the US and South Korea, Israel and others). The engineering process has to be 5-Sigma or 6-Sigma (current standards), along with different industry standards that a manufacturer has to meet, including ANSI (American National Standards Institutes), EU's regulations for Europe and all. Otherwise, you can NEVER sell ONE laptop, or legally give it as a gift to these countries. These standards combined with engineering technology ensure you meet a country's standards, regulations and all. Otherwise you can't sell them to these countries.

For example, the US manufacturer's like Dell and Oracle, can't sell their US hardware and software overseas. The standards for overseas are different and even to sell these, every company requires a US government's approval.

What do you think was changed in Pakistani Vipers block 52 that everyone was making so much noise about in terms of the US has a "kill switch"???? These are modifications to a main-board by adding another piece of hardware circuit that can do X when used.

Just to give you two examples of how this builds an entire new industry and a labor base for Pakistan to build electronics, or get more manufacturing business to assemble, let me walk you through two processes. I don't have the time to walk you through the ENTIRE manufacturing process, although I easily can if i had two hours to write about it. But let's see how the QA and QC processes work.

When you "assemble" a laptop, there are DIFFERENT levels of QA / QC (Quality Assurance / Quality Check or Certification) that EACH laptop has to go through. Its pretty obvious the little experience you had in Pakistan was with 4 people trying to "fix" stuff. Not assemble. After laptops or electronics are assembled, there are TEAMS of people doing JUST QA and QC.

Quality Assurance is the process to ensure a device's components, frequencies (every chip runs its own frequency and code), processing functions and capabilities meet the ISO standards (international standards). Then, the other QA part is to ensue that the laptops designed for the Chinese or the American or the European market meet their technology base these countries have set forth (like I explained ANSI for the American market, Canadians use ANSI but also use their own, EU uses their own, Japan has her own standards, etc).

Once you pass the QA with everything (each machine goes through it and people verify all aspects of QA, meaning they KNOW how every single transistor, processor and circuit is supposed to work for each customer per the specifications).

Next step is QC: this is where laptops are actually RUN and different software programs are qualified on laptops in different markets. For example, the Windows you might install in India, doesn't have the code set for the US. The US windows are different than the European windows as the code base is different. This is true for EVERYTHING, MS Office, Software Drivers, Google, Photoshop, media applications, etc, etc. So ALL these have to be tested to make sure the processor and all other sub-chip systems understand the instructions that the software is giving to the processor and the laptop as a system can execute all the tasks correctly, as expected by every application. This is very complex by itself!!

When a new version of Windows comes out, companies like Dell sell those and their laptops will have a sticker on them saying "Certified for Windows XXX or Windows XYZ Compatible or Intel Core I8, etc". All these things take hundreds of millions of dollars for a technology manufacturer, to learn, setup labs and machinery and scientists and techs and then run the operation and meet these published requirements and goals.

You then have to test pretty much all high level programming languages like .Net, Java, C++, etc, etc and then verify that the processor's instruction processing capability, all these software codes, become native processor languages when they hit the processors like Assembly and stuff. So if your processor has 2 or 4 cores, one of the cores isn't working, due to which, when the application tells the processor to "show green color", it turns black and shuts off or shows Yellow color instead. You think this laptop would go to a customer? If a few thousands of these defected products went to customers, the business would have REALLY REALLY bad name out there and people would rather buy Dell or IBM, etc. Resulting in losing Billions and the brand gets destroyed.

Microsoft (JUST one example) spends 60% of its budget on QA-QC. The remainder 40% goes to salaries of ALL other employees from corporate down to the help desk, customer service, product coders R&D and all. You see how important QA-QC is? Just two processes. And it means that when you QA/QC anything, the people doing it, aren't just laymen, there is advance technology, electronics engineers, hardware and software engineers and ordinary technician involved. THUS, creating a labor force that can then go manufacture other things as the industry has been set.

If you don't understand something and how complex it may be, try not to just start silly posting to score political points.
Chinese company Lenovo just cut a deal with India to do the same thing in India that Hair is doing in Pakistan. The entire INDIA, their PM and all, went onto media and thanked the Chinese and highlighted this investment as "great help in turning India a giant electronic manufacturer). Here, even after explanation, I am dealing with a depressed political mind set that doesn't want to understand how critical this is for their country!!

This is the saddest thing I am seeing across this site site and probably across Pakistan. People are too busy trying to show the current government's work as shiit. In that process, you guys trying to make these silly, nonsense points, look like total fools and make your country look like a country where no one's educated to understand these business things. But you guys have no nationalism. You'd rather continue to do political point scoring than actually support the work being done!!! I don't even know how you take such a broken nation together. May be you guys are destined to fight among yourselves like the Indians say!!! Very sad behavior indeed.

Here is a link to ANSI site (just so you can see how many standards are there and each standards version has over thousands of pages that the manufacturer is supposed to understand, follow and then produce products for American market, same is the case for other countries.

ANSI-American National Standards Institute
American National Standards Institute - ANSI Standards Store

Ever seen an assembly line for manufacturing electronics equipment? Its QA, QC process? Signal processing, conversion, etc? This is a highly complex and scientific process and requires all level of people, from ordinary techs to highly qualified electronic engineers, hardware engineer, and software engineers, with highly specialized defect control trained labor. If you send out 1000 laptops without using the above and those things fail....Hair would lose stock prices over bad manufacturing and would take a hit across the globe, worth hundreds of millions.

A company's brand is their life. The brand's name gets bad press......the company is done as people don't buy from them.

Pakistan will soon be manufacturing mobile phones internally. The setup to manufacture the laptops was the step 1 (to put in the needed infrastructure in place). Then the cell phone technology will come as the agreement is near finalization with TOT on certain phone and tablet products from China. A few years from today, when these assembly lines are working, sky's the limit as to who you go get business from, or what you could make internally.

lol
do you know what consumer products are, laptop is now a consumer product. I can buy a tablet for 50 Canadians. I have another idea why not assemble VCRs and get that technology too

lol, do you know what consumer products are, laptop is now a consumer product. I can buy a tablet for 50 Canadians. I have another idea why not assemble VCRs and get that technology too

Your post makes -10 sense. Consumer electronics are the same as consumer products. Anything that a consumer can buy form the market is a consumer product.

You can buy a tablet for $ 50.00?? And HOW does that change anything from the details I provided to you? Did you see anywhere about the cost? When you build a house you have to follow standards of your state, county and then city. You live in Canada so unless you are wasting your life without knowledge, I'd expect you to know these basics. Now you built the house, whether as a manufacturer, you can support to sell it for $ 50,000 or $ 100,000, its up to you. Doesn't mean the construction process changes for you as you might think you are a VIP!!

Similarly, whether Haer or IBM or whoever, decide to sell their laptops or tablets for FREE, doesn't mean they can by pass all technical standards and technology base line they need to use, to create these laptops. Pricing had nothing to do with the complex manufacturing process. Its pretty clear you have no background in these things and you are just kicking dust. So with this, I think I won't be responding to silly posts about this topic.

There is a wealth of knowledge shared above. You can read through it or research yourself!!

Back
Top Bottom