What's new

Gwadar Port opening on Sunday

Sir, the entire globe is talking about this project, and I've done some research on it too. The actual participation in "One Belt, One Road" started about 3-4 years ago between the Chinese and the Pakistanis. Previously, the Chinese helped create a new port to allow for a secondary port in Pakistan.

In fact, the port was built but it was under Singapore or Dubai's port operations company's management. The Chinese took it over from one of those guys. Their hope was that they can use this port for resupply and fuel / overhaul of the Chinese navy ships. Nowhere in the entire previous history, had there ever been a discussion that there was a remote possibility of $ 50 billion worth of investments.

I bet you, if India and others had known about it back then (when the US was next door and the previous Dictator / General in Pakistan pissed us off a lot), I think you'd have seen some serious reaction towards this project, may be a direct small level confrontation that would've damaged this area.

It happened so quickly and so fast that India and other who dislike Pakistan (including the UAE, Iran, etc, due to this project), couldn't really understand how it could move so forward in such a short amount of time. So really, from the Chinese President visiting Pakistan and formalizing the funding in 2014, till today, the end of 2016, you have one of the largest projects in the modern history actually gone live!!!! There is a lot to be said about the speed and expedited everything that this project went through. So good for Pakistan that it happened that way. But it was conceived and phase I completed in the same 3 years. Just mind blowing speed of getting stuff done at the largest magnitude possible. Thanks

What do you think 9/11 was created for???

CPEC is making history, while you are reading/listening about it, we were/are living it. I lived in northern areas of Pakistan. CPEC started in late 80's, early 90's it started materializing through planning of Gwadar and construction of Motorways. Motorways construction started in 1992 by Nawaz Sharif and was inaugurated in 1997 by Nawaz Sharif in his 2nd term. It wasn't a political party's project either in China or Pakistan but a dream of Pakistan's prosperity and China's world domination through economics while giving everyone a fair chance.

Are you ignorant enough that you would be asking me why Taliban started taking over Afghanistan during that time to make peace there? (Don't give me proofs of Islamic extremism by those Taliban as that isn't true) or you will be asking the reason why India tested it's nuclear weapons in 1998, or you still gonna be asking me why 9/11 happened? or why Raheel Shareef made it the purpose of his life to clear Pakistan from terrorism? Nothing happened fast, nothing happened quick, these historical projects don't take days or months to plan.

Sir, the entire globe is talking about this project, and I've done some research on it too. The actual participation in "One Belt, One Road" started about 3-4 years ago between the Chinese and the Pakistanis. Previously, the Chinese helped create a new port to allow for a secondary port in Pakistan.

In fact, the port was built but it was under Singapore or Dubai's port operations company's management. The Chinese took it over from one of those guys. Their hope was that they can use this port for resupply and fuel / overhaul of the Chinese navy ships. Nowhere in the entire previous history, had there ever been a discussion that there was a remote possibility of $ 50 billion worth of investments.

I bet you, if India and others had known about it back then (when the US was next door and the previous Dictator / General in Pakistan pissed us off a lot), I think you'd have seen some serious reaction towards this project, may be a direct small level confrontation that would've damaged this area.

It happened so quickly and so fast that India and other who dislike Pakistan (including the UAE, Iran, etc, due to this project), couldn't really understand how it could move so forward in such a short amount of time. So really, from the Chinese President visiting Pakistan and formalizing the funding in 2014, till today, the end of 2016, you have one of the largest projects in the modern history actually gone live!!!! There is a lot to be said about the speed and expedited everything that this project went through. So good for Pakistan that it happened that way. But it was conceived and phase I completed in the same 3 years. Just mind blowing speed of getting stuff done at the largest magnitude possible. Thanks
KKH was built in 60s to ease travel for western China to rest of the world and more importantly to establish a territorial stake in Pakistan's status-quo, especially in the Kashmir dispute.
But Gwadar as a deep-sea port was only discovered in 80s and since then till late 90s was a well kept secret.
Russia though had hints as it tried to connect dots and offered Pakistan funding of Mirani dam in 80s which is the single most important source of drinking water today in Gwadar but they had little idea about the capacity of Gwadar.
For next 15 years Gwadar was kept under a low profile to avoid attraction. The Prime ministers during 90s were asked to build road networks and highways.But it was only Musharraf who openly announced about Gwadar being developed as deep sea port and initiated work in 2002 and thats when the game was all out in open.Some people propose this conspiracy theory that the reason powers used 9 11 to enter Afghanistan was not just Pakistani nuc assets but also producing hindrances for a possible trade route in their bigger plans for containment of China.
Things worked well till 2005 and then suddenly we saw the baluch insurgency raise its head and political uncertainty that made Musharaaf step out Musharaf tried hard to convince the west he was not interested in using Gwadar to prolong Chinese geographic ambitions and went so far had it handed over to a Singapore company. For next five years Gwadar was in shambles and Pakistan caught in several internal turmoils, by the look of it invasion of Afganistan was paying off for some regional and international players but things rather changed quickly and Pakistan Army brought down the proxy forces with zarbeazab and Karachi operation as well as departure of Zardari , changed things quickly than expected and thats when Chinese put their feet in and openly proposed CPEC(2013)

Last edited:
KKH was built in 60s to ease travel for western China to rest of the world and more importantly to establish a territorial stake in Pakistan's status-quo, especially in the Kashmir dispute.
But Gwadar as a deep-sea port was only discovered in 80s and since then till late 90s was a well kept secret.
Russia though had hints as it tried to connect dots and offered Pakistan funding of Mirani dam in 80s which is the single most important source of drinking water today in Gwadar but they had little idea about the capacity of Gwadar.
For next 15 years Gwadar was kept under a low profile to avoid attraction. The Prime ministers during 90s were asked to build road networks and highways.But it was only Musharraf who openly announced about Gwadar being developed as deep sea port and initiated work in 2002 and thats when the game was all out in open.Some people propose this conspiracy theory that the reason powers used 9 11 to enter Afghanistan was not just Pakistani nuc assets but also producing hindrances for a possible trade route in their bigger plans for containment of China.
Things worked well till 2005 and then suddenly we saw the baluch insurgency raise its head and political uncertainty that made Musharaaf step out Musharaf tried hard to convince the west he was not interested in using Gwadar to prolong Chinese geographic ambitions and went so far had it handed over to a Singapore company. For next five years Gwadar was in shambles and Pakistan caught in several internal turmoils, by the look of it invasion of Afganistan was paying off for some regional and international players but things rather changed quickly and Pakistan Army brought down the proxy forces with zarbeazab and Karachi operation as well as departure of Zardari , changed things quickly than expected and thats when Chinese put their feet in and openly proposed CPEC(2013)

Do you truly think that people who come on here are sheer dumb? Do you honestly believe that? What's the name of the book above? I'd like to read up the bio of this author. Thanks

Chinese ship, trade convoy reach Gwadar port

GWADAR: The first trade convoy carrying Chinese goods for export through the western route of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and a Chinese ship arrived at the port here on Friday.

Official sources confirmed the anchoring of the ship at the port and said another vessel was expected to arrive within 24 hours.

The second trade convoy was scheduled to reach here on Saturday (today).

The goods will be exported to countries in the Middle East and Africa.

A ceremony marking the opening of trade activities through the corridor will be held on Sunday, which will attended by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Chief of the Army Staff General Raheel Sharif, Balochistan Governor Muhammad Khan Achakzai, Chief Minister Nawab Sanaullah Zehri and ambassadors of 15 countries.

Meanwhile, the Gwadar Yakjehti Council took out a procession in support of the CPEC.

Speaking at the Gwadar Press Club, the organisers of the procession termed the CPEC a game-changer for the region, especially Balochistan, as it would bring about progress and prosperity.

They said the elements opposing the CPEC were not well-wishers of the people of Gwadar.

“We are happy that Gwadar is at the centre of the CPEC because this will remove poverty and create jobs for the local people,” one of the speakers said.

The speakers praised the role of the Pakistan Army and said the corridor could not have been completed without the support of the armed forces.

They added that the council would always try to protect the rights of people of Gwadar.

Published in Dawn November 12th, 2016

CxAsCmuW8AAVHlr.jpg

Chinese Export Consignment Reaching Gwadar Earlier Today

He-Lee Ship Docked at Gwadar International Port for Inaugural Ceremony

Cw98QLCXUAA4LIY.jpg

CxAsCPaXEAACQsi.jpg

Pakistan-China friendship zindabad. I hope China strengthens it's naval fleet in the region to ensure that Indian sponsored pirates don't cause any mischief.

at least have trust in Pakistan Navy... Seriously man, ppl are treating China as a God

Sir, this is interesting logic. Did Mr. Raheel bring this world class project and many others that we hear about on American business networks? If this is his strategy and he brought the Chinese and the USAID and the likes in, then sure, the credit should go to him. Please explain. Thanks,

The work in the Gwadar Port was initiated by Gen Musharaf and the all the security agencies and the engineers working there day and night are to be congratulated for their restless efforts. A lot of security personnels and engineers have lost their lives in materialising it. So lets not put it in the lap of Govt. without the determination and clear vision and focused energies of General Raheel Shareef, Gwadar port would not have completed in time.

The work in the Gwadar Port was initiated by Gen Musharaf and the all the security agencies and the engineers working there day and night are to be congratulated for their restless efforts. A lot of security personnels and engineers have lost their lives in materialising it. So lets not put it in the lap of Govt. without the determination and clear vision and focused energies of General Raheel Shareef, Gwadar port would not have completed in time.

Sir, do you have any strategic link to provide to me that the Chinese president came in to Pakistan and announced this deal back then? I've seen multiple opinions on this very thread. Some say it started in the past three years, some say the other party started it. Now you brought in a general too. In my opinion, when this type of a large thing starts, the world knows. So the Chinese and the global media showed this starting a few years ago (from the research I did, but do prove me wrong please).

Also, remember, let's say, I built a building today. 30 years from now, someone decided to buy it and turn that into a Silicon Valley type of a complex and increased the State of Texas's GDP by 20%. That's a great outcome, but I can't say that I started the Silicon Valley initiative just because I built the building which had offices to house many businesses in the future.

Similarly, a secondary port was built in previous times (who started it, isn't my business as I don't know those people). But if something massive came out of that port, I can't say that the entire thing getting done today,was actually started back then as there are no proofs of such either. A whole different strategy, audience, financials came into play and turn that port into one of the largest projects in history. Thanks

Trump is probably going to put the sanctions against Iran back in place... Chabahar may be failed before it even took off...

Wonder what other goodies Trump will have in his basket for our Indian friends. :lol:

MashAllah! Makes me very proud. Long live Pak China relations. A lot of hard work, dedication, blood and sweat has gone into this and that will remain the case for years to come. Those that tried their level best to derail our efforts stand red faced. It feels good!!! Can't wait for pics and vids of inauguration!

Last edited:
It is an astonishing achievement , years in the making, a great feat by mankind : cutting through the highest mountain chain in the world to link two cultures together integrated by mutual friendship and strategic vision. This is the beginning and we are all witnessing one of the greatest positive steps in Pakistan's economic development. Well done to all the Chinese and Pakistani leaders to make this happen.

Back
Top Bottom