What's new

Gwadar port city development project | News and Updates

The expanded port will be located near a 2,282 acre free trade area in Gwadar which is being modelled on the lines of the Special Economic Zones of China. The swathe of land was handed to the China Overseas Port Holding Company in November 2015 as part of a 43-year lease, while construction of the project began on 20 June 2016.The special economic zone is expected to employ approximately 40,000 people, with possibility for future expansion.

The special economic zone will include manufacturing zones, logistics hubs, warehouses, and display centres. Business established in the special economic zone will be exempt from Pakistani income, sales, and federal excise taxes for 23 years.Contractors and subcontractors associated with China Overseas Port Holding Company will be exempt from such taxes for 20 years, while a 40-year tax holiday will be granted for imports of equipment, materials, plants, machinery, appliances and accessories that are to be for construction of Gwadar Port and special economic zone.

The special economic zone will be completed in three phases. By 2025, it is envisaged that manufacturing and processing industries will be developed, while further expansion of the zone is intended to be complete by 2030. On 10 April 2016, talking to The Washington Post, Zhang Baozhong, chairman of China Overseas Port Holding Company said that his company could spend a total of $4.5 billion on roads, power, hotels and other infrastructure for the industrial zone, which he said would be open to non-Chinese companies. The company also plans to build an international airport and power plant for Gwadar.

looks so nice but still long way to go. honestly i cant see anything worth mentioning on ground. it will take a decade to get in some shape.

I am definitely not happy at the pace of development in Gwadar. There seems to be too many MoUs and very little actual implementing of work. There are a few projects that are moving ahead, but a snails pace.

For example, Gwadar airport development is frustratingly slow... it doesn't seem to beyond the fencing phase. The Gwadar water and power projects are also not really taking off.

I want Gwadar to become a trade free zone and attract industrial and open up to the financial sector. Make it a tax free haven for Chinese banks along with Pakistani banks... give incentives to ship bulk breakers to setup shop... nothing.

They also need to push forward on incentive development for the local population such as schools, hospitals, and power generation... I see nothing moving forward on a large scale to meet that demand.

I hope after this May 2017's One-Belt conference we hear some movement on the Gwadar front. It would be nice to see some proposed models coming out of that conference. ... but I am not too optimistic it would happen. You need a proactive provincial government like in KP and Punjab to get things moving... it seems the baloch government is asleep visa-vis CPEC!!

I am definitely not happy at the pace of development in Gwadar. There seems to be too many MoUs and very little actual implementing of work. There are a few projects that are moving ahead, but a snails pace.

For example, Gwadar airport development is frustratingly slow... it doesn't seem to beyond the fencing phase. The Gwadar water and power projects are also not really taking off.

I want Gwadar to become a trade free zone and attract industrial and open up to the financial sector. Make it a tax free haven for Chinese banks along with Pakistani banks... give incentives to ship bulk breakers to setup shop... nothing.

They also need to push forward on incentive development for the local population such as schools, hospitals, and power generation... I see nothing moving forward on a large scale to meet that demand.

I hope after this May 2017's One-Belt conference we hear some movement on the Gwadar front. It would be nice to see some proposed models coming out of that conference. ... but I am not too optimistic it would happen. You need a proactive provincial government like in KP and Punjab to get things moving... it seems the baloch government is asleep visa-vis CPEC!!

i agree, the Baluchistan government is too slow in development projects, dont know the reasons. i dont think they lack resources, just incompetence and corruption. for example, for last one year or so they couldn't complete a single flyover project in Quetta. the Khuzdar-Gwadar route is completed by FWO, so better is to hand over project to chinese companies.

i agree, the Baluchistan government is too slow in development projects, dont know the reasons. i dont think they lack resources, just incompetence and corruption. for example, for last one year or so they couldn't complete a single flyover project in Quetta. the Khuzdar-Gwadar route is completed by FWO, so better is to hand over project to chinese companies.

I agree...

I think it has a lot to do with incompetence and corruption. There are those who are quick to blame the Central Gov for all the ills of Baluchistan without taking any personal responsibility.

It's like the someone who is accustomed to being a welfare recipient his or her whole life and has lost the capability to actually go out and work ... addicted to handouts... or in this case addicted to the Sardar system.

Baluchistan needs a visionary to take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity. If the baloch government is too incapable of doing so... the army needs to kick some doors down and make that happen.

Gwadar%2BInst%2Bof%2BTech.jpg

Gawadar Civic Centre

19b.jpg

gwadar-school-1.jpg

Gwadar Port Expressway ...19 KM U/C
0Bpzw5k.jpg
The housing scheme at hammer-head, what was the reason for that? wasting prime real-estate that could have been used for gardens, parks, and for tourist attractions is being developed as a crappy housing scheme. So much for being developed like Dubai.

The housing scheme at hammer-head, what was the reason for that? wasting prime real-estate that could have been used for gardens, parks, and for tourist attractions is being developed as a crappy housing scheme. So much for being developed like Dubai.

The whole thing looks poorly planned, The airport is right in the middle of the city, the entire coastline is "tourism development", "relocation" of Gwadar town, and there isn't any planning for important utilities like Water, gas, or power.

What else can you expect from the party of thieves? Its likely that the designers and officials gave themselves that plot of land in the hammerhead as a kickback.

Oman to invest in energy sector of Pakistan

ISLAMABAD: Oman has expressed her willingness to make investment in oil and gas sector and in economic zones of CPEC while Pakistan said that both the countries can take benefit from Gawadar port through mutual cooperation.

These views were expressed by Yousaf Bin Aalavi, Omani Foreign Minister while addressing a joint press conference with Advisor to PM for Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz here on Monday.

Omani Foreign Minister said that both the countries enjoy good and friendly bilateral relations and these relations would further be strengthened in future.

“The CPEC project is of great significant for Pakistan and Oman desires to make investment in economic zones of these projects. Pakistan would be linked with China and Central Asian countries, Oman and other countries through CPEC projects, Gawadar and Karachi ports”, he added and maintained that bilateral trade of Pakistan and Oman would be improved.

Responding to a question regarding Indian attitude with Muslims, he said that issues exists among the countries of the regions should be resolved through dialogue.

To another question, the Omani Foreign Minister said that Oman wants to make investment in Oil and Gas sector of Pakistan as it is enriched with natural resources. There is need to utilize these resources.

Sartaj Aziz said that the bilateral relations of Pakistan and Oman have strengthened after the visit of the Omani Foreign Minister. He said that during the meeting matters pertaining to culture, trade, investment and people to people contact came under discussion. The volume of trade between Pakistan and Oman is 1 billion US $ which would be increased. To launch the ferry service between two countries is under consideration. He said that approximately 2.5 million Pakistani were serving Oman and playing their role in its development.

Responding to a question regarding firing incident on Pak-Afghan border, Sartaj Aziz said that Afghan forces did unprovoked which was also responded by Pakistan in retaliation.

He expressed the hope that local forces commander of both countries would resolve this issue.

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/index.php?page=newsdetail&news_id=7642

The expanded port will be located near a 2,282 acre free trade area in Gwadar which is being modelled on the lines of the Special Economic Zones of China. The swathe of land was handed to the China Overseas Port Holding Company in November 2015 as part of a 43-year lease, while construction of the project began on 20 June 2016.The special economic zone is expected to employ approximately 40,000 people, with possibility for future expansion.

The special economic zone will include manufacturing zones, logistics hubs, warehouses, and display centres. Business established in the special economic zone will be exempt from Pakistani income, sales, and federal excise taxes for 23 years.Contractors and subcontractors associated with China Overseas Port Holding Company will be exempt from such taxes for 20 years, while a 40-year tax holiday will be granted for imports of equipment, materials, plants, machinery, appliances and accessories that are to be for construction of Gwadar Port and special economic zone.

The special economic zone will be completed in three phases. By 2025, it is envisaged that manufacturing and processing industries will be developed, while further expansion of the zone is intended to be complete by 2030. On 10 April 2016, talking to The Washington Post, Zhang Baozhong, chairman of China Overseas Port Holding Company said that his company could spend a total of $4.5 billion on roads, power, hotels and other infrastructure for the industrial zone, which he said would be open to non-Chinese companies. The company also plans to build an international airport and power plant for Gwadar.
How will pakistan benefit from this if the zone is exempt from all taxes???

Agreements on Economic and Technical Cooperation worth 2.3 billion RMB for Gwadar Airport signed today in Beijing on the sidelines of OBOR

C_roJVMWsAArUAv.jpg

C_s6eV5XkAArTQu.jpg

__

Back
Top Bottom