What's new

Greater China outnumbers German patents

Martian2

Reaction score
China continues to climb the ranks of countries that receive the most patents in the United States.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/ac/ido/oeip/taf/cst_all.htm

Patents granted by the United States for the year 2008.

1. U.S. 92,000 patents
2. Japan 36,679
3. Germany 10,086
4. South Korea 8,731
5. Taiwan 7,779
6. Canada 4,125
7. U.K. 3,843
8. France 3,813
9. Italy 1,916
10. China 1,874
Hong Kong 717 (Patent office counts Hong Kong as a separate entity)
India 672
Singapore 450
Russian Federation 181

There are 18,000 Taiwanese companies on the Chinese Mainland. It is my guess that many Chinese exports incorporate not only Chinese patents, but also Taiwanese patents. The Taiwanese were a perennial #4 in U.S. patents received until they were passed by South Korea in 2008.

While the current number of Chinese patents appears to be insufficient to support a large high-tech export base, the combination of Greater China (i.e. Chinese, Taiwanese, and Hong Kong) patents should suffice.

Greater China's 10,370 patents (i.e. China's 1,874 + Taiwan's 7,779 + Hong Kong's 717) are greater than the number of German patents at 10,086.

Last edited:
Hongkong / Taiwan are not part of China.

I will acknowledge China's prowess in science and technology
the day china makes a car that sells for more than a BMW.

letz face it the only reason anybody has to buy anything chinese is cost..and that is also because of a govt which fixes itz currency as cheap as it can against rest of all currencies..

and we are to believe these guys are a super power..do as i say or else..im going to stop selling you toys..you are sanctioned..

Nobody ask your opinion! You are picking up a fight here!

HongKong is part of People Republic of China. Taiwan is Republic of China.

people like you who doesn't have any idea about the world should be excluded from such discussion.

let's don't waste time on arguing whether Taiwan is a part of China, you are more than welcomed to keep your own idea, but for HK, it is a SAR of the People's Republic of China with the name "People's Republic of China" on all its issued passport, government agencies, laws.

now, please withdraw from such discussion and read books from your local library.

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

Advance technology items (planes, fighters) for which China has Patents

Here is a list of items for which Greater China applied for patents

your country even could not build a MBT/CPU/LCD Panel. that concludes my posts in this thread.

I will acknowledge China's prowess in science and technology
the day china makes a car that sells for more than a BMW.

letz face it the only reason anybody has to buy anything chinese is cost..and that is also because of a govt which fixes itz currency as cheap as it can against rest of all currencies..

and we are to believe these guys are a super power..do as i say or else..im going to stop selling you toys..you are sanctioned..

Your claim is patently false.

Pakistan's export industries are becoming far more competitive on the world market.

A 40% depreciation in the Pakistani rupee and a concurrent 21.9% appreciation in the Chinese yuan has made Pakistani exports more affordable to buyers in foreign countries.

(Note: I will come back and post link after I reach 15 posts)

"Karachi - The Pakistani rupee on Wednesday again fell to a record low against the US dollar to close at 80.30...."

During the last five years (since 2004), the Pakistani rupee has lost approximately 40% ([80 rupees - 57 rupees] / [57 rupees]) against the value of the U.S. dollar. See Pakistan's 2004 rupee value at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistani_rupee

This means that Pakistani export-products are 40% cheaper for American and other foreign customers to buy.

During the 1997 Asian financial crisis, the Chinese government chose to maintain the value of its pegged currency at 8.27 yuan to the US dollar. While neighboring Asian countries devalued their currencies, the Chinese chose to pay the price to contribute to global economic stability and did not devalue their currency. This meant that Chinese products were more expensive on the world market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renminbi#Value

"...Chinese government to maintain a peg of 8.27 yuan per USD from 1997 to 2005."

"On September 30, 2008, the renminbi traded at 6.7899 yuan per U.S. dollar, which is a 21.9% increase and the highest rate since the removal of the peg."

Once again, during the last four years, the Chinese government has chosen to contribute to world stability. Since 2005, the Chinese yuan has appreciated by 21.9% in value compared to the US dollar.

Compared to four years ago, current Pakistani export-products are roughly 61.9% cheaper than similar Chinese exports on the world market.

Last edited:
Patents granted by the United States for the year 2008. If you normalize by the populations of each country, you get the following in terms of number of people per each issued patent:

1. Taiwan -->2,957 people/patent
2. U.S. --> 3,348
3. Japan --> 3,490
4. South Korea --> 5,498
5. Germany -->8,130
6. Canada -->8,242
7. U.K. -->16,133
8. France --> 17,046
9. Italy --> 31,315
10. China -->712,380

Of course this means little since China does not need to respect foreign patents within it's own territory and exports little to the USA that isn't sold by some other nation's company. In the USA you can only enforce a US patent against someone who derives sales revenue in the USA. So, until Chinese companies sell under their own brands in the USA, they don't need USA patents or cross-licensing agreements.

Patents granted by the United States for the year 2008. If you normalize by the populations of each country, you get the following in terms of number of people per each issued patent:

1. Taiwan -->2,957 people/patent
2. U.S. --> 3,348
3. Japan --> 3,490
4. South Korea --> 5,498
5. Germany -->8,130
6. Canada -->8,242
7. U.K. -->16,133
8. France --> 17,046
9. Italy --> 31,315
10. China -->712,380

Of course this means little since China does not need to respect foreign patents within it's own territory and exports little to the USA that isn't sold by some other nation's company. In the USA you can only enforce a US patent against someone who derives sales revenue in the USA. So, until Chinese companies sell under their own brands in the USA, they don't need USA patents or cross-licensing agreements.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLR21747220080929

"HELSINKI, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Nokia (NOK1V.HE) and its telecom equipment making venture Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) have signed a cross-licensing agreement with China's Huawei [HWT.UL] covering essential patents for wireless standards, Nokia said on Monday."

Nokia, NSN, Huawei sign patent cross-licensing deal | Reuters

"HELSINKI, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Nokia (NOK1V.HE) and its telecom equipment making venture Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) have signed a cross-licensing agreement with China's Huawei [HWT.UL] covering essential patents for wireless standards, Nokia said on Monday."

The point about needing cross-licenses of course applies to any sales territory where local patents are enforced, including the USA, Canada, European Union and Japan. Since Chinese companies are so far behind in actual patents that they own, I expect they will use their manufacturing prowess to generate the cash or the partnerships needed to reach the necessary licensing agreements.

when compared to Huawei, there is only single US company can say s.h.i.t, it is Cisco. morons like the telecomm section of moto, lucent and 3com are just over priced low performance junks.

when compared to Huawei, there is only single US company can say s.h.i.t, it is Cisco. morons like the telecomm section of moto, lucent and 3com are just over priced low performance junks.

The point is the USA "morons" can exclude Chinese brands from the USA if they have enough patents covering necessary technologies. US companies will go straight to US courts to stop Chinese brands if they have even shaky patents to use. US patent lawyers could stop a Chinese brand product for years just getting the case heard in Court.

The point is the USA "morons" can exclude Chinese brands from the USA if they have enough patents covering necessary technologies. US companies will go straight to US courts to stop Chinese brands if they have even shaky patents to use. US patent lawyers could stop a Chinese brand product for years just getting the case heard in Court.

I LOL'ed. Patent list clearly shows Americans as numero uno in creativity. I'm referring to the absolute number of patents, not the normalized one. By the way, your normalized list was very interesting. I was shocked to see that Taiwan surpassed the US in patents per capita. Incredible.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom