What's new

Govt. Focuses on Deep Sea Port

^ Nice post, except the name calling at point b).

Also Neither country will use that deep port as a transit port as like Singapore.

In reality apart from Bangladesh, port of Sonadadia can only be used by India and totally unviable for any other country. But in Bangladesh there seems to be extreme opposition for anything that includes India, so Sittwe will be our major port for North-East India and it is getting completed very soon.

Sheikh Hasina has agreed to allow India to use its territory for transit. But the absence of proper roads makes the concession meaningless. And so India has been making plans without Bangladesh to secure access to its landlocked north-eastern states, via Myanmar. It is developing a deep-sea port in Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine state in Myanmar. The port is 500-odd km from Kolkata, India’s main port on the Bay of Bengal and part of India’s so-called Kaladan Multi-Modal Transit Transport Project—a gateway to India’s landlocked north-eastern states. Rather conveniently, Sittwe is also close to Myanmar’s massive Shwe gasfield. The idea will be to run a canal, highway and possibly a pipeline from Sittwe to a newly constructed river port in Myanmar’s Chin state, and then on to the border with the Indian state of Mizoram. The project is expected to become operational by mid-2013. And so Bangladesh looks likely to be left in its isolation.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2013/01/bangladesh-and-its-near-abroad

Yes, he should do that in the respective threads, bringing India and name calling for nor reason is considered spamming. In every other thread, this clown is making a fool out of himself and derailing threads by bringing India and Raw, infact he is more Indian than Indians themselves. Forum mods are probably sick of this fanatic. And again, you should follow what you preach, if free expression s allowed then i believe i am not saying things out of line.

Indian interference will be mentioned where it is fact. If you have heart burn to see indian interference in Bangladesh getting exposed, you better find some place else. This is not areana for your lecture circus.

I have made post with lots of information to counter daception eastwatch made. Look closely on eastwatch post how he resorted in name calling. I had reported these posts multiple times to MOD and because there was and is no action I responded in kind. I don't think my posts need any further explanaton. If Webmaster or MOD needs to get in touch they know how to reach me.

Let us not respond to these people in kind, I know he already called people PDF Jamati's. I am going to report that post. I wish the forum management would assign mods for this section soon, so mods can take care of these problems.

Let us not respond to these people in kind, I know he already called people PDF Jamati's. I am going to report that post. I wish the forum management would assign mods for this section soon, so mods can take care of these problems.

I hope you are once again following what you preach and reporting the posts from idune which resort to name calling else you will only be a hypocrite. cheers

@WebMaster:

I am not a political man. Check all my posts. I am not here to side with this party or the other. It is an international forum. So, all of us here must keep neutrality and should not indulge in petty party politics. No other nationals do it except those from Bangladesh. Both the jamaatis and Awami Leaguers similarly preach their respective party lines in this forum. If the moderators think they will support AL-bashing and India-bashing as well, but not Jamaati-bashing by others, then I have reason to believe the moderators are not impartial.

Another point I try to stick to is I am for the development of my country. I will side with opinions that will lead my country to reach that goal. If the object of some posters of this forum is to spread unnecessary venom against a certain country or against a certain party of a certain country out of context in almost all the threads, then a discussion does not go far. It stops after a few pages of bashing from all sides. You will also notice some posters, specially only one, criticize all our development news. what are you doing about this small guy?

So, I ask the moderators what they are going to do to stop intentional derailing and trolling as well as bashing of posters by name calling such as RAWAMI supporter if a poster does not accept his opinions and do unnecessary India-bashings in the Bangladesh sub-forum? If posters here are not civilized, then the moderators are also not helping to make this sub-section civilized. I ask why there are those sudden out of context name callings of other countries? In such a situation when someone tries to give a proper answer, he is stopped by others with similar posts. This is how most of the threads are derailed.

I ask the moderators to look into the matter. For example, the present thread, where someone unnecessarily went after India-bashing without giving any substantive proof to support his claim. I ask the Pakistani moderators, if unnecessary India-bashing satisfies your ego, then you cannot be neutral and you are not supposed to be a moderator as well. So, please think about all the points that I have tried to raise in this thread, although, out of context.

Last edited by a moderator:
@moderators: I am not a political man. Check all my posts. I am not here to side with this party or the other. It is an international forum. So, all of us here must keep neutrality and should not indulge in petty party politics. No other nationals do it except those from Bangladesh. Both the jamaatis and Awami Leaguers similarly preach their respective party lines in this forum. If the moderators think they will support AL-bashing and India-bashing as well, but not Jamaati-bashing by others, then I have reason to believe the moderators are not impartial.

Another point I try to stick to is I am for the development of my country. I will side with opinions that will lead my country to reach that goal. If the object of some posters of this forum is to spread unnecessary venom against a certain country or against a certain party of a certain country out of context in almost all the threads, then a discussion does not go far. It stops after a few pages of bashing from all sides.

So, I ask the moderators what they are going to do to stop intentional derailing and trolling as well as bashing of a 3rd country by the posters in the Bangladesh sub-forum? If posters here are not civilized, then the moderators are also not helping to make this sub-section civilized. I ask why there are those sudden out of context name calling of other countries? In such a situation when someone tries to give a proper answer, he is stopped by others with similar posts. This is how most of the threads are derailed.

I ask the moderators to look into the matter. For example, the present thread, where someone unnecessarily went after India-bashing without giving any substantive proof to support his claim. I ask the Pakistani moderators, if unnecessary India-bashing satisfies your ego, then you cannot be neutral and you are not supposed to be a moderator as well. So, please think about all the points that I have tried to raise in this thread, although, out of context.

^ please mention a name of a mod there (@WebMaster @Aeronaut), otherwise Mods may miss your post. This post should have came earlier in the Bangladesh Moderation thread.

Anyway, I think the whole country is polarized right now, here in the street everyone is talking about AL vs Jammat right now. NO one actually talking about BD's development right now, you are in Japan, may be you are not feeling the political HEAT there.

Also Indians do name calling here. + Yes sometimes some members bring India which may not necessary. But what can be done, this is what we are.

If you ask why I cant criticize our govt as a govt only, but as AL, then I would say, there is no such option, our govt has politicized and polarized everything, and indeed, it care about India and power than BD. So when I criticize, I simply can not distinguish between Govt and AL, and some times India when a minister says BSF killing is justified!

I think Mod cannot react for our every problem, once I asked a Mod that why a I have to hear Rezakar bashing in a PK forum every time, that mod said, he has nothing special to do on it, because Mods can not just change the attitude of the BD people.

And lastly, why do you think India basing is a problem for BD's development. What actually we would gain by praising India?

^ please mention a name of a mod there (@webmaster), otherwise Mods may miss your post. This post should have came earlier in the Bangladesh Moderation thread.

Anyway, I think the whole country is polarized right now, also Indians do name calling here. + Yes sometimes some members bring India which may not necessary. But what can be done, this is what we are.

If you ask why I cant criticize our govt as a govt only, not as AL, then I would say, there is no such option, our govt has politicized and polarized everything, and indeed, it care about India and power than BD. So when I criticize, I simply can not distinguish between Govt and AL, and some times India when a minister says BSF killing is justified!

I think Mod cannot react for our every problem, once I asked a Mod that why a I have to hear Rezakar bashing in a PK forum everytime, that mod said, he has nothing special to do on it, because Mods can not just change the attitude of the people.

And lastly, why do you think India basing is a problem for BD's development. What actually we would gain by praising India?

the whole country is so polarized that one cannot get in a political argument without getting aggressive. yesterday i and my childhood friend got in a huge argument when we talked politics.

the whole country is so polarized that one cannot get in a political argument without getting aggressive. yesterday i and my childhood friend got in a huge argument when we talked politics.

Even there is heat among the family members and relatives now. I had a bit argument with my one close relative and a friend now. They are for Shabag mob, and direct Fashi.

One close person said he thought a new political party would be formed from the young people there, there will be no AL, and Jammat, heck, he does not know it's a political motivated mob protesting there.

Even there is heat among the family members and relatives now. I had a bit argument with my one close relative and a friend now. They are for Shabag mob, and direct Fashi.

One close person said he thought a new political party would be formed from the young people there, there will be no AL, and Jammat, heck, he does not know it's a political motivated mob protesting there.

:lol:i have heat with my ex boss, he knows it is politically motivated, but he is a minister's relative :lol:

^ please mention a name of a mod there (@WebMaster @Aeronaut), otherwise Mods may miss your post. This post should have came earlier in the Bangladesh Moderation thread.

Anyway, I think the whole country is polarized right now, here in the street everyone is talking about AL vs Jammat right now. NO one actually talking about BD's development right now, you are in Japan, may be you are not feeling the political HEAT there.

Also Indians do name calling here. + Yes sometimes some members bring India which may not necessary. But what can be done, this is what we are.

If you ask why I cant criticize our govt as a govt only, not as AL, then I would say, there is no such option, our govt has politicized and polarized everything, and indeed, it care about India and power than BD. So when I criticize, I simply can not distinguish between Govt and AL, and some times India when a minister says BSF killing is justified!

I think Mod cannot react for our every problem, once I asked a Mod that why a I have to hear Rezakar bashing in a PK forum every time, that mod said, he has nothing special to do on it, because Mods can not just change the attitude of the BD people.

AL, India or Jamaat bashings are OK, but these should be in the relevant threads. But, some ugly guys want to derail every thread that concerns the country's development. I personally do not care about which party is in power. but, I take good notice if there are corruptions and also there are development works. I very much understand many of the current news are govt/AL-made to soothe the minds of population. But, even then some of these topice have discussion value.

The proposed Deep Sea Port is one such news. I am here to learn from others and I learn something from every one. But, of course, sometimes I indulge in teaching others without really knowing a thing. Now, when I put forward a few valid questions about the economic feasibility of this expensive port, some ugly guy started to expose my deception and lies. What is this?

But, anyway, no one has so far answered my questions to prove my assumptions are wrong and that the said project will be a losing concern without it being used by Bangladesh, Indian NE, Nepal and Bhutan as well as some eastern Indian ports. I have assumed China cannot or will not use this port because the route is via Burma.

I understand where idune Bhai comes from. I believe he knows a lot of inside story of our political class. And he has a passion about Bangladesh and its future. He wants to see AL defeated in next election and removed from power. Anyone who does not believe in this strategy and outcome for Bangladesh, he considers that person to be enemy of the people. I personally sympathize with this stand. Although I take a more philosophical stand. Even if AL comes to power next time, it will make the public even more mad with AL because of their misrule and it might finish off AL in a civil war explosion that will be sure to come. So, either way I think AL is doomed and will lose power in a few years.

And anyone who thinks that:
- India does not meddle in Bangladesh and
- we should not point out this AL and India connection to our public
needs to get their head examined.

Having said all that, I think all of us have a collective responsibility to uphold and improve our image as Bangladeshi's. So we should tone it down with our disagreements and not get into war of words and name calling. If we try hard enough, we should be able to pass the message and make our points without getting ugly with our words and expressions.

I just do not understand one trait of BD posters, why do they have to love or hate Jamaat, AL or BNP? we are here to discuss things on the merits and demerits of a proposed project. But, in most of the threads some posters (Jamaati?9 find out ways to bash India when India itself is not a factor. These people, tn reality idolize/idolate India nd RAW.

I believe, a more elaborate economic feasibility study is needed before finalizing a new port in so far away from the main city centers. we have to understand BD lacks a proper physical infrastructure. It will be unwise to build a port that will be losing concern. So, let the govt first check out its economic feasibility. I have not read any such thing so far. Can anyone post a link on that? Rechnical feasibility is different from economic feasibility. I would like to read an economic feasibility report prepared by the GoB or any Port Authority.

certainly a proper feasibility study is required, our port at Chittagong is under used...why spend so much more where we dont have padma bridge yet?

I found the following:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/bangladesh-defence/24876-deep-sea-port-making-way-go.html
http://www.mos.gov.bd/images/TERMS OF REFERENCE.pdf

Proposed Sonadia deep-sea port may be a major vehicle of economic development for Bangladesh, shipping minister | Asian Tribune
"Sonadia Island succeeded so far as the best optimal location for a deep sea port out of the possible nine locations," Eddy Declercq, private sector expert of Japan's Pacific Consultant International (PCI) told the workshop on 'Techno-Economic Feasibility Study of a Deep Sea Port in Bangladesh'.

China offers to build, fund it

Indian Ocean - South-East Asian Marine Turtle Memorandum of Understanding
PCI selected the Sonadia site in the Cox's Bazar district, with a ‎second suitable site option (of similar depth) about 20 km north at Kutubdia Island. This alternative site is less important for ‎biodiversity as compared to Sonadia Island, and would leave a sufficient buffer zone. Sonadia's selection is backed by people with financial motivations, ‎who appear not to have any environmental consciousness. One has to question whether a full environmental assessment was even carried out during the feasibility study.

Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh
Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Also I found the following (source verified):

Chinese Military Strategy.

In military strategic terms, Sonadia can help China to monitor the sea-lanes from the Persian Gulf as about sixty percent of Chinese energy requirements come from the Persian Gulf and transit along this sea-lane. Such a port could also be of military use to the Bangladesh Navy. Strategically, a deep-sea port could also help China to enter South Asia.

To Deny Strategic Space to India.

China has always resented the growing Indian naval activity in the region. In early 1993, Zhao Nanqi, director of the General Staff Logistics Department of the Chinese Navy, issued a top-secret memorandum that explained in great detail the People Liberation Army (PLA) strategic plans to consolidate control over the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean under the new doctrine of "highsea defence." Zhao stated that In "We can no longer accept the Indian Ocean as only an ocean of the Indians." A naval base of a friendly country in the dominating place of Bay of Bengal would serve china and will help her in lessening the Indian hegemonic designs in the region.

I have said in my earlier post that an intention by China to build the Port does not mean China can use it. Can someone tell me how China will use this port when Burma will not give BD/China a transit over its land? Or, does these geneouses want Chinese goods to fly over the Himalayans from Sonadia? China wants to build the port because it will give one or two of its companies big works to do.

It is the same with UAE. Does some naive wants us to believe that because UAE wants to build this port, therefore, that country want also to use it? People should not take the trouble of surfing Internet to support their point. I can also post tons of news on TAPI and IPI gas pipeline would-be projects. Newspaper reports are no proof that China can use this port. It just does not have the connectivity and China does not need any connectivity with Sonadia because it is already connected with a Burmese port from where it is already pumping imported oil and gas.

Most funny point that guy made is because Singapore takes 25 days of his precious time to get the goods delivered in CTG, therefore, Sonadia will AUTOMATICALLY solve his and other's problem, because, this guy thinks ALL the big ships will anchor at Sonadia. It is, perhaps, the most simplistic analysis of an issue.

How does he think, those ships will waste their valuable time and money to come so far to deliver only a tiny amount of cargoes to BD? Note, even if these ships ever come, then he and people like him will have to pay a double premium and that will raise the price of their imported goods by three fold.

Listening to his suggestions, any international shipping company will go bankrupt or become a losing concern like Bangladesh Biman, where people with tiny brain like him run the business. One should understand the basic that all the large Ocean going ships will keep on anchoring in ports like Singapore and Colombo (Dubai is no concern of ours), and feeder ships will have to go there and get the intended cargoes for Indonesia, Malaysia, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam etc., as well as Bangladesh. No large ships (250,000 ton or more) will ever come to our shore because our trde volume is very small, this is the basic.

I have said in my earlier post that an intention by China to build the Port does not mean China can use it. Can someone tell me how China will use this port when Burma will not give BD/China a transit over its land? Or, does these geneouses want Chinese goods to fly over the Himalayans from Sonadia? China wants to build the port because it will give one or two of its companies big works to do.

It is the same with UAE. Does some naive wants us to believe that because UAE wants to build this port, therefore, that country want also to use it? People should not take the trouble of surfing Internet to support their point. I can also post tons of news on TAPI and IPI gas pipeline would-be projects. Newspaper reports are no proof that China can use this port. It just does not have the connectivity and China does not need any connectivity with Sonadia because it is already connected with a Burmese port from where it is already pumping imported oil and gas.

Most funny point that guy made is because Singapore takes 25 days of his precious time to get the goods delivered in CTG, therefore, Sonadia will AUTOMATICALLY solve his and other's problem, because, this guy thinks ALL the big ships will anchor at Sonadia. It is, perhaps, the most simplistic analysis of an issue.

How does he think, those ships will waste their valuable time and money to come so far to deliver only a tiny amount of cargoes to BD? Note, even if these ships ever come, then he and people like him will have to pay a double premium and that will raise the price of their imported goods by three fold.

Listening to his suggestions, any international shipping company will go bankrupt or become a losing concern like Bangladesh Biman, where people with tiny brain like him run the business. One should understand the basic that all the large Ocean going ships will keep on anchoring in ports like Singapore and Colombo (Dubai is no concern of ours), and feeder ships will have to go there and get the intended cargoes for Indonesia, Malaysia, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam etc., as well as Bangladesh. No large ships (250,000 ton or more) will ever come to our shore because our trde volume is very small, this is the basic.

I would like to ask what credentials does this man have to speak ill of a feasibility report conducted by a Japanese company by recognized and accredited professionals, the links to which I have already posted and they find it feasible. What credentials does this man have to speak the way he is speaking?

Why should we listen to an anonymous man's opinion, who has no known experience in the field, instead of a feasibility report done by a recognized company staffed by professional experts in the field?

Back
Top Bottom