What's new

Government to provide $1 billion to every chip maker who sets up manufacturing unit in India.

Sorry but this group at IIT-Madras is not being truth about the project being "fully indigenous". This series of processors called Shakti is simply the group's implementation of the international, open source project RISC-V.

Many other people in the world are doing it. No great shakes.

It would be more respectable if this IIT-Madras group actually designed a processor from scratch.

Firstly, thank you for tagging me. This field - processor design - is my current interest.

Secondly, about what you said, I don't think Ambani and Adani will invest in this field. They prefer safe investments. Or maybe they will, I don't know, because there is much money to be made by selling processors and memory to local manufacturers.

Well yes, though I am not an electronics engineer I too agree that 130-200 nm is much bigger than say the Leon processor from the ESA ( European Space Agency ) that uses a 32 nm process.

Like which giants ?
Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Amd, Arm even apple now, list goes on, India has r&d centers for most of the well known brands in semiconductor space

Looks like @jamahir has lucked out.

"Lucked out" seems to have contradictory meanings - one for the Americas and one for Britain / Australia. Which one do you mean ? The USA one since you live there ?

Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Amd, Arm even apple now, list goes on, India has r&d centers for most of the well known brands in semiconductor space

The Indian branches will just develop what has been designed in the parent branches.

For example, will ARM ( design HQ in Britain ) now license out an entirely new instruction set that has been entirely designed in India ? Will we now see phones with India-designed ARM processors ?

"Lucked out" seems to have contradictory meanings - one for the Americas and one for Britain / Australia. Which one do you mean ? The USA one since you live there ?

The Indian branches will just develop what has been designed in the parent branches.

For example, will ARM ( design HQ in Britain ) now license out an entirely new instruction set that has been entirely designed in India ? Will we now see phones with India-designed ARM processors ?
There are design teams here too believe me, but I do agree majority are development teams, but this is the first step don't you think? Eventually more design work is gonna happen in Indian teams as more people get experienced in the field.

There are design teams here too believe me, but I do agree majority are development teams

But do we know of even one design team ?

Eventually more design work is gonna happen in Indian teams as more people get experienced in the field.

Well, we have to wonder about what Indian computer engineering colleges and electronics engineering institutes teach. The next is my constant example here. Every year 200,000+ computer engineers graduate out of Indian colleges and this has been so for the last at least 20 years. So there are a few million computer engineers in India and some of these will have two decades of experience and a few of these will be in those foreign companies mentioned above. What are these few million doing ? What are those two-decades-of-experience people doing ? Why is there not a single Indian microprocessor ?

Personal question for my understanding. Do you have any experience with any design team in india? ( In semiconductor sector)

I am not an electronics engineer but I have been designing a processor ( and its OS ) for some years. I am more a designer and to further the project towards commercial development I intend to establish a company and work with / hire engineers.

Last edited:
It will surely not cause taiwan to lose any sleep, but why are the pakis acting so weird? What exactly you have in your country to come to this thread and act childishly? These guys act as if they rival Taiwan/US in chip design. We have not even started. Imagine the salt if we get something done in next 5-10 years.
We have AWS region in Mumbai, and another upcoming in Hyderabad. Also few other edge locations etc., I doubt there is anything in Pakistan. Other than showing that you guys are salty, you guys not doing much else.

How many Indian cellphone mfrs. actually make cellphone circuitboards in India? Or screens for that matter. I know of at least two in Bangladesh....

A nation of 1.4 Billion that cannot use its own SMT/SMD pick and place machines to make cellphones and is dependent on Chinese subassemblies (including screens) to make cellphones is in no position to boast of technology.

Almost all Indian Chip designers are working for Qualcomm, Broadcom, Intel, AMD et al. I know quite a few Bangladeshi folks in that field too.

India needs backing from local investors to set up FABs and these fly by night Banyas will not do it, like @jamahir bhai said.

90% of the top 5 cellphones sold in India are Chinese brands. Barring Samsung. Is that a badge of honor for India?

That old picture of the Chandigarh research facility is just that, a research facility, it is not a large scale fab. I also heard sometime back that the Chandigarh facility may have burned down.

Useless waste of bandwidth of Bhakt lies and countering these lies.

Last edited:
Sorry but this group at IIT-Madras is not being truth about the project being "fully indigenous". This series of processors called Shakti is simply the group's implementation of the international, open source project RISC-V.

Many other people in the world are doing it. No great shakes.

It would be more respectable if this IIT-Madras group actually designed a processor from scratch.

Firstly, thank you for tagging me. This field - processor design - is my current interest.

Secondly, about what you said, I don't think Ambani and Adani will invest in this field. They prefer safe investments. Or maybe they will, I don't know, because there is much money to be made by selling processors and memory to local manufacturers.

Well yes, though I am not an electronics engineer I too agree that 130-200 nm is much bigger than say the Leon processor from the ESA ( European Space Agency ) that uses a 32 nm process.

Like which giants ?
Who care about returns when they are getting free money.

How dare you belittle them, that technology was used by the Indian gods. Its not old it's the oldest technology in the world.

btw been out of the news, what are amd and intel competing these days for 5nm or 3nm? Last I read was 2 years ago and it was all about 7 nm.
I know, different both amd and intel have diff, structure but size still matters.

Chinese have now developed their 7 nm chip. Samsung and TSMC still in 7 nm level but playing with 5 nm tech.

Guys I know there is a bit of healthy trolling which I get. But please dont under-estimate the impact and development of India's industrial base as it moves effectively from Agri to Advanced technologies. This will have a massive impact on power dynamics in the region while we chase the Sugar bastards through failed legal processes. Where is the strategic vision that I expected from PTI? They have to make long term investments in Education and Advanced Industries. Military needs to stop stifling industry and become end user partners not manufacturers.

100% agree. People ignore the impact of such things.

BTW in case you don't know....
Chip design, development and testing is a $20 billion industry in India. 600K Indians work in this Industry and it annually generates $2.5 billion revenue.

Btw, incase you didn't know.

Scam industry in India is probably twice as much. Workers might be low compared to 600k but damn, they are efficient scammers.

just fyi, TSMC plans to invest 100B$ over the next three years(and thats just production). And thats, just TSMC, do you see how insignificant you lot are in comparison? That was the point.

I also heard sometime back that the Chandigarh facility may have burned down.

In the recent one or two years ? Because I think it is recent that the IIM-Madras implementation of RISC-V was manufactured at SCL.

That old picture of the Chandigarh research facility is just that, a research facility, it is not a large scale fab.

SCL might have a minimal research facility but I think it is more a small production plant for those processors, optical sensors and probably other things that are used in India's space and military applications.

Edit : SCL's regular product list.

Last edited:
One bill is chump change.
There never gonna come.

Guys I know there is a bit of healthy trolling which I get. But please dont under-estimate the impact and development of India's industrial base as it moves effectively from Agri to Advanced technologies. This will have a massive impact on power dynamics in the region while we chase the Sugar bastards through failed legal processes. Where is the strategic vision that I expected from PTI? They have to make long term investments in Education and Advanced Industries. Military needs to stop stifling industry and become end user partners not manufacturers.

Well to answer that one needs a slew of great infra to even think of such feats .

To start of 24/7 electricity , pristine water and premium grade silica. No to mention some very strict Environment quality controlls.

These are not design centers in truth but development centers.

Tell me, do both these centers have come out with a new instruction set architecture for Intel's processors ? Something radically new ? Something that will replace Intel's x86 architecture for the regular computers or something new for server computers ?

what do you mean by that ? I work at Qualcomm ,
your telling us that there is no pre silicon design going on for there IP in India?
India is a sespit of Design and verification , PD,DFT ,Comp Analysis to name a few.

Why do they need to reinvent the wheel? you understand how spec standard work right?
Why new instruction sets when millions of manhours have been spend refining those we have?

IF you change something drastically it still need to adhere to the standards of the interfaces that have been widely adopted.
(Via compilers , cross compilers , architectures and vendors. Backward compact and adoption is fundamental.)

Why would they change anything if they can make a killing with marketing a 5% gain as 20% with some low hanging optimizations?

The next leap is quantum, and the challenge is to being it to the same spec as modern widely adopted interfaces, as well as high robustness, that we enjoy with modern computations on non quantum machines.

Last edited:
India - we are investing in our companies to increase R&D and development through our own manufacturing

rest of PDF- haha suckers we are winning because we rely on importing

I swear there is comedic gold in reading the comments here

Back
Top Bottom