What's new

Government to provide $1 billion to every chip maker who sets up manufacturing unit in India.

Anik101

Reaction score
Country
India

IESA Chairman Satya Gupta says, "any chip getting done in the world will have some contribution from Indian semiconductor ecosystem. More than 90 per cent of semiconductor companies have their R&D Centres in India where cutting-edge chip development work takes place. The semiconductor R&D alone produces almost $2.5 billion in revenue and $20 billion including the Electronics Products and Embedded system. The total employment generated is approximately 6 lakhs in India."

India has done well in R&D for the semiconductor industry but 100% of our chips and memory are imported in the country.

A shortage of chips is holding back India's auto sector just when it sees early signs of a recovery

HIGHLIGHTS

• Governments worldwide are subsidising construction of semiconductor plant
  • Tata Group have also expressed interest in moving into electronics
  • India wants to establish reliable suppliers for its electronics industry
India is offering more than $1 billion (roughly Rs. 7,340 crores) in cash to each semiconductor company that sets up manufacturing units in the country as it seeks to build on its smartphone assembly industry and strengthen its electronics supply chain, two officials said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Make in India' drive has helped to turn India into the world's second-biggest mobile manufacturer after China. New Delhi believes it is time for chip companies to set up in the country.
"The government will give cash incentives of more than $1 billion (roughly Rs. 7,340 crores) to each company which will set up chip fabrication units," a senior government official told Reuters, declining to be named as he was not authorised to speak with media.

"We're assuring them that the government will be a buyer and there will also be mandates in the private market (for companies to buy locally made chips)."
How to disburse the cash incentives has yet to be decided and the government has asked the industry for feedback, said a second government source, who also declined to be identified.
Governments across the world are subsidising the construction of semiconductor plants as chip shortages hobble the auto and electronics industries and highlight the world's dependence on Taiwan for supplies.

India also wants to establish reliable suppliers for its electronics and telecom industry to cut dependence on China following border skirmishes last year.
Chips made locally will be designated as "trusted sources" and can be used in products ranging from CCTV cameras to 5G equipment, the first source said.
But the sources did not say whether particular semiconductor companies have shown interest in setting up units in India.
India's technology ministry did not respond to a request for comment.
Previous attempts
India has previously tried to woo semiconductor players but firms were deterred by India's wobbly infrastructure, unstable power supply, bureaucracy, and poor planning.
The renewed government push to lure chipmakers is more likely to succeed, following the success of the smartphone industry, industry insiders say.
Moreover, Indian conglomerates, such as the Tata Group, have also expressed interest in moving into electronics and high-tech manufacturing.
India in December invited an "expression of interest" from chipmakers for setting up fabrication units in the country or for the acquisition of such manufacturing units overseas by an Indian company or consortium.
The government extended the last date of submission for that expression of interest to end-March from January 31, given the level of industry demand, the government source said.
Abu Dhabi-based fund Next Orbit Ventures has filed an application to set up in India, it said on Wednesday. An auto industry source said it had done so as leader of a consortium of investors.
A shortage of chips is holding back India's auto sector just when it sees early signs of a recovery in demand after sales plunged in 2020 because of the pandemic.
Indian technology ministry officials met executives from the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), a leading auto industry body, earlier this year to assess car makers' demand for chips, three auto industry sources said on condition of anonymity.
The government estimates it would cost roughly $5 billion (roughly Rs. 36,690 crore)-$7 billion (roughly Rs. 51,360 crore) to set up a chip fabrication unit in India and take 2-3 years after all the approvals are in place, one of the auto industry sources said.
The source added that New Delhi is willing to offer companies concessions, including waivers on customs duty, research, and development expenses and interest free loans.

Currently, chips needed for defence and space applications are produced at SCL, Chandigarh which is a lab run by ISRO. Chips needed for defence applications need to be EMP hardened and are generally based on 130-200 nm process technology.
shakti_microprocessor_1540804828.jpg

That is old tech from 2001 period.

How dare you belittle them, that technology was used by the Indian gods. Its not old it's the oldest technology in the world.

btw been out of the news, what are amd and intel competing these days for 5nm or 3nm? Last I read was 2 years ago and it was all about 7 nm.
I know, different both amd and intel have diff, structure but size still matters.

How dare you belittle them, that technology was used by the Indian gods. Its not old it's the oldest technology in the world.

btw been out of the news, what are amd and intel competing these days for 5nm or 3nm? Last I read was 2 years ago and it was all about 7 nm.
I know, different both amd and intel have diff, structure but size still matters.
You start from scratch and then grow, unlike Pakistan who has developed dozens of missiles without a semiconductor fab unit and a proper wind tunnel facility. I mean, hats off to your scientists and engineers. You guys are the best........ :pakistan: :enjoy:

BTW the chip has been developed by IIT-M which is a government-run educational institute just like QAU and NUST in Pakistan.

Guys I know there is a bit of healthy trolling which I get. But please dont under-estimate the impact and development of India's industrial base as it moves effectively from Agri to Advanced technologies. This will have a massive impact on power dynamics in the region while we chase the Sugar bastards through failed legal processes. Where is the strategic vision that I expected from PTI? They have to make long term investments in Education and Advanced Industries. Military needs to stop stifling industry and become end user partners not manufacturers.

I will get vaccine from her in exchange for beef biryani and some comfort.

View attachment 730195
No need to cross the border when you can get better covid treatment in pakistan itself.
They even get international news coverage....
Defense systems use 200mm chips because it's more resistant to adverse weather and working conditions. Even 200mm is used in tomahawk and other missiles. I guess Pakistan is used to using 3mm in suicide bombings that they are way too advanced for this shit.
Looks like in Pakistan they use Iphone 12 pro max A14 Bionic (5 nm) chipset in Babur cruise missile. That's some next-level engineering......Like I say...1 Pakistani scientist = 10 Hindu Banya scientist........Hats off to you guys.... :pakistan: :enjoy:

Last edited:
You start from scratch and then grow, unlike Pakistan who has developed dozens of missiles without a semiconductor fab unit and a proper wind tunnel facility. I mean, hats off to your scientists and engineers. You guys are the best........ :pakistan: :enjoy:
All that matters is, we have the missile and can use it to wipe any country of our choice off the face of the earth.

Back
Top Bottom