What's new

Google stops censorship in China

which city are you living now? I think most of the foreigners in big cities can watch satellite TV, even normal chinese can watch satellite TV by illegal equipment, CNN,BBC,HBO,NHK......are all avaliable:pop:

haha.. u can guess from my user name, which city Im in .. :azn: Being the capital, the authorities are very very strict. Dish antennas are allowed only in very selected international apartments and diplomatic area compounds. Some of my friends tried to put up dish anntennae. But the authorities took them down within a month. Now the building management people don't allow putting of any private dish anntennas.:undecided:
Its much easier in smaller cities. I suppose u r from NanJing (ur location says NJ). I have been there several times on business, last time was 4 days ago. Nice city :cheers: I see a lots of dish antennae sticking to the windows of apartments. Envy you guys :cool:

ooh.. :cry: Internet was only window to the outside world for expats in China. Since there is very very limited access to satellite TV. Hardly any english newpapers. All newpapers and TV is government controlled and the content is dull and outright boring official propaganda.

P.S.: the only thing keeping me here now is the cute chinese babes.. hehe:smitten::azn:
Is China a big sized prison? I've not been there but wanted to know how people feel.

Well I don't want to know how a native Chinese feels since they would be used to it, But I'm interested to know how you feel!! Do you mind sharing your experience with us. Thanks

Is China a big sized prison? I've not been there but wanted to know how people feel.

Well I don't want to know how a native Chinese feels since they would be used to it, But I'm interested to know how you feel!! Do you mind sharing your experience with us. Thanks

The answer is Yes and No. Its complicated. There are personal freedoms and some fundamental rights. People are moderately liberal minded and quite modern in their outlook.
People have lots of freedom as long as they don't cross the invisible lines of accetability set by the goverment. Anything which challenges the writ of the party (CPC) is immediately suppressed. Free media and internet comes under this category. The party tries to control the flow of information and hence control the opinions and loyalty of people. Party wants absolute control and anything and everything which can even make a small dent to this control is supressed. The issues of Tibet, Xinjiang, media censorship, internet controls etc. are part and parcel of this need for absolute control.

The answer is Yes and No. Its complicated. There are personal freedoms and some fundamental rights. People are moderately liberal minded and quite modern in their outlook.
People have lots of freedom as long as they don't cross the invisible lines of accetability set by the goverment. Anything which challenges the writ of the party (CPC) is immediately suppressed. Free media and internet comes under this category. The party tries to control the flow of information and hence control the opinions and loyalty of people. Party wants absolute control and anything and everything which can even make a small dent to this control is supressed. The issues of Tibet, Xinjiang, media censorship, internet controls etc. are part and parcel of this need for absolute control.
Can you call it a kind of dictatorship? But ruled by a group of people rather than a single dictator? Since media is very important for a country. And so as one's right to raise their opinion.

Thanks anyways for answering.

Can you call it a kind of dictatorship? But ruled by a group of people rather than a single dictator? Since media is very important for a country. And so as one's right to raise their opinion.

Thanks anyways for answering.

Im not a expert on political affairs, but I will try to answer your queries.
Its not exactly dictatorship, but rather single party system of government (though officially there are other parties other than CPC, they are insignificant). Within the party, there is a system of election or rather more of selction. There is some degree of meritocracy in the present system in the party. Thats how the top leaders are technocrats. The ordinary citizens have no say in the decisions of the governement, but the party members have a say. Most major decisions are done by general consensus and not at the whims and fancy of any one person or group.
Not all dictators are despots and not all democratic leaders are benevolent. The chinese system works and the results are for all to see. The Chinese follow the philosophy of maximum benefit to maximum number of people, in which the opinions/rights of minority of people can be sacrificed. There are good and bad sides to it. So, I would refrain from making any comments on the chinese system. My only wish is that the CPC guys become more pragamatic and less paranoid and allow more media freeedom.

Im not a expert on political affairs, but I will try to answer your queries.
Its not exactly dictatorship, but rather single party system of government (though officially there are other parties other than CPC, they are insignificant). Within the party, there is a system of election or rather more of selction. There is some degree of meritocracy in the present system in the party. Thats how the top leaders are technocrats. The ordinary citizens have no say in the decisions of the governement, but the party members have a say. Most major decisions are done by general consensus and not at the whims and fancy of any one person or group.
Not all dictators are despots and not all democratic leaders are benevolent. The chinese system works and the results are for all to see. The Chinese follow the philosophy of maximum benefit to maximum number of people, in which the opinions/rights of minority of people can be sacrificed. There are good and bad sides to it. So, I would refrain from making any comments on the chinese system. My only wish is that the CPC guys become more pragamatic and less paranoid and allow more media freeedom.
Thanks again for answering.

I certainly have no doubts about the ability of their government/people. Nor I doubt the system. The result/GPD says it all. I was just wondering about how people feel and thus raised it to you.

Anyway they are worthless for expats who cannot read/write chinese, though i use youku/tudou to watch videos and QQ to date girls ;)

How to contact or date with an indian girl, do they use messanger or other something? Is there some chat rooms in indian? You know I go to indian 3 times per year. The longest one will be 3 month. It is very difficult to speak to indian girls, they are not that open compare to japanese, chinese or korean girls. Who can give me some help?:D

yes a true reality from a chinese. There are many cpc members here. .all knows them

haha.. u can guess from my user name, which city Im in .. :azn: Being the capital, the authorities are very very strict. Dish antennas are allowed only in very selected international apartments and diplomatic area compounds. Some of my friends tried to put up dish anntennae. But the authorities took them down within a month. Now the building management people don't allow putting of any private dish anntennas.:undecided:
Its much easier in smaller cities. I suppose u r from NanJing (ur location says NJ). I have been there several times on business, last time was 4 days ago. Nice city :cheers: I see a lots of dish antennae sticking to the windows of apartments. Envy you guys :cool:

omg. .this kind of strict restrictns even in beijing? Shocked. .

omg. .this kind of strict restrictns even in beijing? Shocked. .

That is the same all over china, just like poverty even in New Deli. And I aslo shocked when I have been to mumbai first time, it can not been a finacial center of a country.

You have no idea of contradictory that sounds, do you?

:cry::cry::cry: No more Google for me. .:undecided::hitwall:: Horrible news:tdown:
First youtube, then facebook, twitter, all blog sites, Picasa ...... Now GoogleThere is no more fun in internet in here now.:tdown:
BU HAO...:angry:

The glories of living in a dictatorship that fears free speech.

oh god u r saying that even satellite television is not avilable there...it is really pathetic

Back
Top Bottom