What's new

Goodbye, USS Enterprise CVN-65

I have a big *** poster of her in my room. One of the most feared battleships ever built. She will be missed.

Not exactly! there are rumors USS Kitty Hawk was offered to India and India rejected as the carrier was too big for India's need, affordability and lacked of trained personal to operate it.

No US fleet carrier was ever offered to a foreign navy. France and Spain each obtained a WW2 era cruised based light carrier once. That is the extent. USN scraps its fleet carriers. No sales, no gifts, nada.

actually when our naval personnel examined it they found it to have a lot of corrosions in it hull and then there was another factor to be taken into consideration . what if we went to war and the US held back parts . (they did it in 98 , as a result most of our sea king fleet was grounded)

Hardly surprising to find corrosion, it being the second oldest ship in the USN at the time (the oldest being sailpowered USS Constitution, which has served 200+ years). CV 63 served USN 48 years.

I suggest the US can remove the nuclear power reactor and give the ship to the VN navy. We can refurbish it like the Chinese doing with Liaoning. Voila, we will have our own Carrier for the South China Sea. :D

May I point out that it is CV63 not CVN63.....

USS Kitty Hawk was a one ship class and the last oil fired aircraft carrier in service with the US Navy.

Propulsion: Westinghouse geared steam turbines, eight Foster Wheeler steam boilers, four shafts; 280,000 shp (210 MW)

USS Enterprise is the first nuke carrier. Enterprise is the only aircraft carrier to house more than two nuclear reactors, having an eight-reactor propulsion design, with each A2W reactor taking the place of one of the conventional boilers in earlier constructions. Newport News Shipbuilding will deactivate and de-fuel the ship after her decommissioning. The process is scheduled to begin in mid-2013 and be completed in 2015. Once the Navy dismantles and recycles the ship's reactors, there will be very little left (e.g. to turn into a museum); virtually everything two decks below the hangar bay would have to be cut apart.

Then we will get experience right ? This carrier can be used for 30+ years , by that time Indian would be in need for Super Carriers powered by nukes , this will give an operational edge over China .

CV 63 retired after 48 years of active service with USN, you want to take it to 80 years ..... CVN 65 isn´t much younger.

no........it is to be scraped
and i don't think you want it too, the nuclear plant are quite old, if you keep use it, it will be like a walking nuclear bomb...

It being the first nuke carrier, Big E has a power plant that is quite big, taking up space that cannot be used for stores, fuel, spares, weapons. Newer CVNs have much smaller nuclear plants.

Since the Varyag has turned out to be a lemon, the Chinese should now try and get this piece of junk and try and refurbish it. If they can't then the Chinese can always convert it into another museum piece like the Varyag! :cheesy:

Uhm, no Varyag has not (yet) turned out a lemon. It hasn´t been delivered to IN so it isn´t in service so you can´t determine whether or no it is a lemon.

Speaking of lemons, how is the Charles de Gaulle PA-1 doing these days ...?

Never seen real action china makes one aircraft carrier US fears and sinks their own ship

May I point out that it is CV63 not CVN63.....

USS Kitty Hawk was a one ship class and the last oil fired aircraft carrier in service with the US Navy.

Propulsion: Westinghouse geared steam turbines, eight Foster Wheeler steam boilers, four shafts; 280,000 shp (210 MW)

USS Enterprise is the first nuke carrier. Enterprise is the only aircraft carrier to house more than two nuclear reactors, having an eight-reactor propulsion design, with each A2W reactor taking the place of one of the conventional boilers in earlier constructions. Newport News Shipbuilding will deactivate and de-fuel the ship after her decommissioning. The process is scheduled to begin in mid-2013 and be completed in 2015. Once the Navy dismantles and recycles the ship's reactors, there will be very little left (e.g. to turn into a museum); virtually everything two decks below the hangar bay would have to be cut apart.

CV 63 retired after 48 years of active service with USN, you want to take it to 80 years ..... CVN 65 isn´t much younger.

Uhm, no Varyag has not (yet) turned out a lemon. It hasn´t been delivered to IN so it isn´t in service so you can´t determine whether or no it is a lemon.

Speaking of lemons, how is the Charles de Gaulle PA-1 doing these days ...?

220px-USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)_burning,_stern_view.jpg

No offence, but Viet was talking about transferring the CVN-65 Enterprise not the CV 63 Kitty Hawk, his post was way before the discussion of Kitty Hawk.

And Varyag is not in IN service, Varyag is now Liaoning and already in service with the PLAN.....

No offence, but Viet was talking about transferring the CVN-65 Enterprise not the CV 63 Kitty Hawk, his post was way before the discussion of Kitty Hawk.

And Varyag is not in IN service, Varyag is now Liaoning and already in service with the PLAN.....

As indicated, if you take out Enterprises powerplant (which is unlike that of later CVNs, and significantly larger) there really isn't much left to work with.

As for Varyag/Liaoning. Yes, she commissioned September 25, 2012 but currently, there are no operational aircraft on the carrier, so in effect she doesn't service as carrier. Why anyone would call that a lemon is beyond me: she has yet to prove herself.

As indicated, if you take out Enterprises powerplant (which is unlike that of later CVNs, and significantly larger) there really isn't much left to work with.

As for Varyag/Liaoning. Yes, she commissioned September 25, 2012 but currently, there are no operational aircraft on the carrier, so in effect she doesn't service as carrier. Why anyone would call that a lemon is beyond me: she has yet to prove herself.

Actually, i was talking about the first one you said the Viet wanted a CV63 (Kitty Hawk) and i pointed out he meant the CVN-65, i have said some post before that you literally cannot take our the power plant on a nuclear carrier and put in a diesel electric steam engine in it.

Also you said Varyag was in service with IN, not PLAN.....

Actually, i was talking about the first one you said the Viet wanted a CV63 (Kitty Hawk) and i pointed out he meant the CVN-65, i have said some post before that you literally cannot take our the power plant on a nuclear carrier and put in a diesel electric steam engine in it.

Also you said Varyag was in service with IN, not PLAN.....

I had already addressed the CNV-65 issue and, yes, Liaoning is not Vikramaditya (but, really, it makes not difference).
All that an error makes me is a human, not a robot :coffee:.

Such a beautiful Carrier, USS Enterprise CVN-65 will be missed

Back
Top Bottom