What's new

Going to India

Go to indiamike.com.
It is good for having an outsider view of India. Check forum posts for independent views, so that you know what to expect and wont be dissapointed.

First thing to hit you will be ***** and poverty and a smell which can be described as a mixure of engine oil and something else I forgot(not my words, I am describing it as a foreigner did, as an Indian I will not observe that).
You need to learn to avoid beggars, also touts/autowallahs. Try not to entertain them, have everything planned including airport pickup.

Do not eat roadside food (delicious but dont eat), and buy a mosquito repellent device as soon as you land( quite cheap, around 35 to 100 rs)

Have a nice holiday and enjoy your stay.

No fun in a visit to India or Pakistan without eating the roadside food. And no fun for the people watching the tourists until they get diarrhoea.
I have seen westerners eating street food in delhi where I would not eat. But I assume they are seasoned travellers/backpackers who know the risks. Some of them stay in India for nearly 3 months, go back and come again later.

Not good for first time traveller though, once you are sick everything will go downhill.

Well it's been decide my family and I are off to India in October/November would love to have inputs from people on here about this wonderful country.

Have been doing research and trying to learn about the country, from what I can gather it is one of if not the most diverse places on Earth.

Different religions, culture, traditions all living in peace and respecting each other, so much history and civilization.

I have 3 kids as well 2 girls and a boy all under the age of 12 and they are looking forward to the experience, they really want to to see Elephants and bathe them etc.

We want to try and experience as much as we can, we only have 4 weeks in India as we have to get back to work.

Any help, tips, hints will be most welcome and very much appreciated, come on guys bring it on. :cheesy:

http://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/5268/where-in-india-can-one-wash-and-play-with-elephants
Kids here are excited about Disney world mock-ups. Nice to see yours want to see and play with elephants. But to bathe them is very difficult to do. You should know some insider of a Kerala temple or stalk them when they are out for their bath:P.
To just ride them, you can find them in Mysore(near the Palace) and Jaipur(near the Amber fort) that I know of. So if these places are already on your itinerary you need not sweat it. But here nothing goes hard and fast. You can talk to the mahouts and ask them when and where the elephants get their bath.

About India in general, you are going to find a lot of crowded places. Be careful with kids. Don't let them go too far. DO not be ashamed to haggle. And when you haggle, better keep your family out-of-sight from your counterpart.(This is part of any haggling basics really :)) I have seen friends who would try to haggle, but when enough autowallahs or shopkeepers act and say something like 'I din't expect a white man to haggle like this', they give up and let the guys carry the loot. Then you should know about transports. Keep a couple of cab helplines at hand in whatever city you go to.

Here is a list of things you might want to go to India for. You must be knowing these already. But I will type anyway to see how well I know India.
1) Snow capped mountains - Gulmarg(J&K), Kanchenjunga(near Gangtok)
2) Mighty and beautiful rivers - Ganges near Haridwar and Gangotri, Chenab on the way to Srinagar from Jammu, Bramhaputra near Guwahati. Chenab is THE most beautiful river I have seen. You can stop your vehicle and get down the hill a bit to get to the amazing waters. Munnar has some nice boat rides where your family can hire a boat at cheap prices.
3) Calm Hill stations: Haven't been to many. Darjeeling, Shimla, Ooty in South. Dharmashala and Tawang are where you can find Tibetan and Buddhist culture.
4) Temples: Be warned. Some may not allow non-Hindus. But most can hardly make out who is a non-Hindu:-)P). Thanjavur is majestic. The good thing for tourists is: The grandest and stunning of the temples are usually the least conservative. Rameswaram has a huge huge temple. Akshardham and ISKCON temples are modern. Golden Temple is also easy to visit from Delhi.
5) Mosques: Again not been in many. You can enter Mecca masjid(not the prayer area though) in Hyderabad at specified timings. It is at stonethrow from Charminar and Laad Bazar(One place where you should not let your wife go too far, in a good way :)) so you might as well visit there. But the general rule in the area(for safety) is to not wear any expensive jewelry, watches and to check your pockets and wallet every minute.
6) Churches: These may be boring for you. But there are some pretty old churches here. I can think of Velankanni. Then there are some churches like Afghan church with some history.
7) Forts: India has some well-preserved mighty forts like Amber(Rajasthan), Gwalior(beautiful too). Of course you will come across RedFort and a bunch of them in Rajasthan. Ajanta and Ellora are amazing engineering pieces. Warning: This section will need a lot of walking around.
8) If you just want to see a lot of people - visit any big city. Mumbai's Chattrapati Shivaji Terminus(formerly Victoria terminus) is a place.
9) I am confused about your origins. If you are French, then you might want to visit some former French colonies like Pondichery which also has nice and quiet beaches. Kolkata has a nice Victoria memorial. If you like old European architecture left by the British, Kolkata and Mumbai have them.
10) Forests: The forests in Nagaland and J&K are the thickest I have seen. I mean they are cant-see-the-sun scary thick.

Apart from these you might be interested in TajMahal, tigers, rhinos, and Indian foods. Wherever you go, try and eat the local dishes. You will be amazed how India cannot be an alternate universe.
I am sure lonely planet will have these among a many others. But they will not warn you against throwing money for floating rocks(as a fancy item, sure if they are cheap), blessings of phony babas, street beggars with special affinity for foreigners(Slumdog is not too far from reality) and huge tips(Indians rarely do tip if at all. That doesn't stop them from expecting huge tips from foreigners :P).

Don't go to GOA, as you will find more of Russia, Israel or france over there..
Kerala is the best place to explore, and don't forget Gujarat state had also got something big to offer...
Njoy in India..have a good time..

Nothing beats kanha national park its in MP you can then move onto khujrao or see the beautiful marble rocks in jabalpur visit the gealior fort etc

If planning for 4 weeks, I would say try not to cover too many things because you will miss out many things at the places you already visited and in the end will be extremely tired.

I would not advise you to cover India at one go. It will be tiring and pretty expensive. First make up your mind what you really want to see. Like for forts, Rajasthan is a must go but covering couple of cities there would easily take you 4-5 days considering you are travelling with family.

In my opinion, if you are planing to visit north India then try covering it in the initial parts and leave Goa to the end.. Reasons - North India you will have to do a lot of walking so leaving few days for Goa towards the end will really have you and family relax a bit..

You can take a flight directly to Delhi - stay there for couple of days . From there you can travel to Agra for a day to see Taj mahal and then travel to Jaipur if you want to see forts.. Udaipur will be good too.. These two will take 3-4 days at least. In rajasthan you can also go to Rnathambore National park Ranthambore National Park Sawai Madhopur Rajasthan India

You can visit it while staying at Jaipur itself. In Jaipur you can get Elephant rides for the kids as well.. But for bathing them as you mentioned your kids want to do .. you will need to travel to Madhumalai sanctuary as mentioned in post # 5 (but that should be the thing for second week i think)..

With this most of your first week + couple of days of second week will be gone and you would have covered NCR, Rajasthan, Agra.. then if planning to visit hill stations, you can go to Shimla, Kullu Manali etc but I would say if you are planning to go to South India, you can visit hill stations there as well..

For the rest, i think if you can provide what you want to see and then we will help planning the trip and give an approximate estimate for covering place etc.. In fact, if you got the places finalized some of us can help you getting good deals as well.. I think most Indians would love to help you..

please never trust Auto ricksha drivers... all they want is money better ask a nearby shop keeper about fares of auto riksha.

If you wish to see Indian Civilization, I suggest you to visit Rishikesh, Amritsar, Varansi. If you are in Delhi Akshardham temple is must visit.

Please go threw India Travel Blogs, Photos, Forum, Hotels and Hostels These blogs are written by foreigners about India.

Rajasthan, Kerala, Goa, Karnataka, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh, J&K, visit all Metros and state capitals - Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkatta, Chennai, Bangalore etc. All these states have their own tourist development sites google it, Plan your trip precisely - accommodation, travelling, food, shopping. Will be a lot of fun then.

Maybe not possible in this trip but of you ever decide to go to India again definitely visit Punjab- Chandigarh is one of the cleanest and nicest Cities in India and Amritsar is very nice too. A visit to the Golden temple is a must for any visitor to India- arguably the most peaceful place you will ever visit. Clean, calm open to all regardless of faith with free food and dirt cheap lodging for visitors (50 pence a night). North India like Shimla is also a must at some point.

please never trust Auto ricksha drivers... all they want is money better ask a nearby shop keeper about fares of auto riksha.
This a hundred times over. A bus, if you know how to use our buses, is the best option

Maybe not possible in this trip but of you ever decide to go to India again definitely visit Punjab- Chandigarh is one of the cleanest and nicest Cities in India and Amritsar is very nice too. A visit to the Golden temple is a must for any visitor to India- arguably the most peaceful place you will ever visit. Clean, calm open to all regardless of faith with free food and dirt cheap lodging for visitors (50 pence a night). North India like Shimla is also a must at some point.

These places are good for indian tourists, not foreigners. Amritsar for golden temple is good choice though.

to be frank you cant see INDIA in 4 weeks... but since you have a time constraint let suggest a few states which are very diverse and you can pay visit to...

1. RAJASTHAN -Royalty at it s best..... Art, Crafts, huge forts, havelies and Palaces, Folk dances
2. HIMACHAL PRADESH - The names say it all: Simla, Manali , Dharamshala, Dalhousie...
3. KERALA - lagoons, lakes, rivers, and canals : HOUSEBOATING! beaches (suggest varkala) , oldd churches , hill stations and lots
4. DELHI - Personaly i would have liked you to visit delhi too, but since you have a very limited time.. i leave it to u..

FOOD at each of these places differ extremely.

The diversity you will find in each of these places is not comparable to anything in this world... so keep your seatbelts tight ;)

Back
Top Bottom