What's new

Global supermarkets selling shrimp peeled by slaves

By principle, I just am against this. Just my view.
Trust me, u don't care ... if u know someguy in the prison ever hurt ur family, u won't care what he will pay in the prison. I had said bad-guy need pay for his guilty in the prison, working harder just one payment way in China prison system.

Maybe this is karmic retribution for the times Burmese used to carry off Thais as slaves to our cities in the past. Or maybe the Thais think it's karmic.

What do you think of what's going on, @somsak ?

Trust me, u don't care ... if u know someguy in the prison ever hurt ur family, u won't care what he will pay in the prison. I had said bad-guy need pay for his guilty in the prison, working harder just one payment way in China prison system.

I am actually for death (capital) punishment. I don't believe in life sentences of 20 years, 30 years, 60 years or 5 times that magnitude that is usually given to a convicted murder with multiple counts. Justice should be given immediately after the verdict is pronounced; in Japan we execute by hanging till death. It is contradictory to prolong a convict's life by life sentence (the state pays for his food, medical feels, clothing, water, bed , tv et al), which costs the state millions of yen (or yuan). The argument of 'labor work' as a form of repayment is contradictory since in the end the state pays to provide living amenities for the life-sentenced convict.

If a convict was guilty of hurting a friend or a family member of mine, I wouldn't want to see him alive and working (and making money). In fact if i had my wish, id gut his belly with a Nihonto myself and see the very life in his eyes evaporate before mine. But i don't have that right, given we live in a land governed by laws. So, id naturally want the convict executed as soon as possible. Hanging is fine. Tho i'd prefer gutting. :)

I am actually for death (capital) punishment. I don't believe in life sentences of 20 years, 30 years, 60 years or 5 times that magnitude that is usually given to a convicted murder with multiple counts. Justice should be given immediately after the verdict is pronounced; in Japan we execute by hanging till death. It is contradictory to prolong a convict's life by life sentence (the state pays for his food, medical feels, clothing, water, bed , tv et al), which costs the state millions of yen (or yuan). The argument of 'labor work' as a form of repayment is contradictory since in the end the state pays to provide living amenities for the life-sentenced convict.

If a convict was guilty of hurting a friend or a family member of mine, I wouldn't want to see him alive and working (and making money). In fact if i had my wish, id gut his belly with a Nihonto myself and see the very life in his eyes evaporate before mine. But i don't have that right, given we live in a land governed by laws. So, id naturally want the convict executed as soon as possible. Hanging is fine. Tho i'd prefer gutting. :)
Well u can not hang all prisoners to death, my friend, even some bad-guy hurt ppl but not guilty to death sentence in laws. We just want them to pay for their guility, not live comfortable, must wokring harder in the prison. I do think LABOUR is the best payment way for those guilty ppl ... whatever West call them cheaper labors or slavers in China prison, they r paying for their guility in China and bring benefits to others. They doing and learning something in the production lines, not a lazy man, they will reborn after leaving China prisons to find a job.

Other nations should follow China as an example, let the prisoners do some work. At least those criminals being fed by the government will have some use.

japanese system is horrible, they never tell death row inmate when his/her execution date is. dont allow to sleep face down, need to stare while sittling in a specific pose for few hours daily.
For a civilized country japanse justice system is primitive and barbaric.. 98 percent conviction rate.. lolz
ontopic: no wonder its so cheap here.

We'll certainly shrimp has gotten more popular.

Even buying frozen shrimp can be dizzying as where it comes from depends upon its size and if it's cooked.

They sell about 10 types of big bags (5lbs?) of "responsibly sourced" frozen shrimp at my local warehouse club. The shrimp are small, medium, large, extra large, and jumbo. Each is either cooked or uncooked. A glance at the origin labels (which I do look at) and almost all of them come from different countries!

Last edited:
Maybe this is karmic retribution for the times Burmese used to carry off Thais as slaves to our cities in the past. Or maybe the Thais think it's karmic.

What do you think of what's going on, @somsak ?
I do not believe in such a slavery report. I am not sure too. I am not familiar with fishing industry. I have a friend in labour minister. I will try to check what really happens. I was a programmer in labour minister specialized on Myanmese Lao Cambodia illegal economic immigrants. I don't know much about policy but I think the law for protection to these people is there. The Minister require all employers to register these illegal economic immigrants for accountability legal protection and tracking.
I don't think this is to do with revenge or something. Its pure business. Employers want cheap labour while employees wish high salary.
I believe that the reports come when Thai US relation is getting down due to some requirement US want Thai to do and we try to prolong or postpone the problem. Thai way of saying No.

I do not believe in such a slavery report. I am not sure too. I am not familiar with fishing industry. I have a friend in labour minister. I will try to check what really happens. I was a programmer in labour minister specialized on Myanmese Lao Cambodia illegal economic immigrants. I don't know much about policy but I think the law for protection to these people is there. The Minister require all employers to register these illegal economic immigrants for accountability legal protection and tracking.
I don't think this is to do with revenge or something. Its pure business. Employers want cheap labour while employees wish high salary.
I believe that the reports come when Thai US relation is getting down due to some requirement US want Thai to do and we try to prolong or postpone the problem. Thai way of saying No.
I have read similar report 1 year ago or may be more. I am not sure why you cant believe it. However its just pure business, anywhere you get cheap labour who are ready to be slave, you will get slavery.
Nobody kidnapped burmese. Does not make it right however, thailand being a responsible country should crackdown.

japanese system is horrible, they never tell death row inmate when his/her execution date is. dont allow to sleep face down, need to stare while sittling in a specific pose for few hours daily.

Its merciful , actually. Knowing one's death date is torture to the mind for the inmate; we spare them the ordeal of anticipation. :)

Its merciful , actually. Knowing one's death date is torture to the mind for the inmate; we spare them the ordeal of anticipation. :)
not really. Death row inmate know before the day is decided that at least they are alive till declaration of the day. every death row inmate knows they will be hanged one day, but they dont have to live in fear every day being their last day.
I dont think I can take it, the suspense will kill me.

Japanse system is indeed horrible. I cant believe japan is an economically advanced country with a justice system that has 98% conviction rate. I dont believe in miracles. The reason could be that police do not record matter that has less chance of conviction, or forced confession leading to conviction, or both.

Well, Burmese generally have a favourable view of working in Thailand but to say that it doesn't happen can't be right. Something must be happening. And this news will be exploited by Burmese factory owners because the price of labour in Myanmar is going getting too great. We should sort this issue out because it's unacceptable and embarrassing for both sides.

Back
Top Bottom