What's new

Gilani disqualified as PM: SC

The above editorial vindicates my point view that SC verdict was not “Judicious”.

What an article or editorial in a Pakistani newspaper. I have learned some time ago that a few rupees into a journalists hands and you can get what you want in into a Pakistani newspaper.

First a very poignant Dawn editorial today:

Relentless pursuit of the writing the letter to the Swiss Government and disqualification of an elected Prime Minister shows a vindictive streak in the highest judicial body of Pakistan which is baffling. One can say with certainty that the new Prime Minister is not going to write the letter either. How many PM’s will have to be disqualified before Iftikhar Chaudhry’s ego is satisfied?

So what are you suggesting? That the PM is above the law? He should not be punished?? Why?

There are too many issues facing Pakistan today. Economy is in a mess, there is no electricity, no gas and national debt doubled in the past 4 years. There is target killing in Karachi; terrorists are rampant and simmering Baluchistan verge of anarchy. Don’t ‘you think that this Damocles sword hanging on the PPP government is distracting and making the governance from bad to worse?

How does this mitigate or is a reason to allow the PM to obey only laws which he and people like you think he should obey.

Sorry to say I have read your posts in the past and now. On one occasion you swore at people on here including me for no valid reason. God knows what you have done to deserve the TT badge. In open competition debating education and or intellect you are well past your sell by date.

^^^ IK has not impressed him much it seems.

In IK we have someone whose heart is in the right place. But years of throwing a a ball does not qualify him for high office. Having said he is the best of a bad bunch. We Pakistanis are in my opinion expecting far too much of him or any one person

So tell me why is most of Zardaris loot invested in America not Russia??
Singapore as well. ;)

That is a tempting suggestion. But first Pakistan is not ready for that. Second even if we were ready in our position it would be very dangerous as we have people outside Pakistan who would interfere to our general detriment.

It would appear that most of us agree that if the law is applied and applied consistently to all and sundry this would be a step forward.

In a journey usually the first step is the hardest. we have taken it lets not for now worry about the future. We cannot fault or condemn it until and if it has failed.
Good point.

However, for the (red) highlighted statement; the answer is long term planning.

Long term planning is where our nation really falls short. We focus on short-term gains rather then plan for long term.

However, I agree that we have taken the first step finally. And it is a good one.

However, I disagree with the (red) highlighted statement.

Long term planning is where our nation really falls short. We focus on short-term gains rather then plan for long term.

Fair point Maybe in my excitability to see the right thing being done I am assuming that it will be or at least hoping that law will continue to be implemented fairly and consistently

Contrary to what you think Judges if they apply the law correctly they do not have the discretion that you suggest

So tell me why is most of Zardaris loot invested in America not Russia??

kindely send the detail of this investment to CJ. for new so moto and add your karay khair

Chauday ke apni duum par paer aa gya ab woh kuch bhe kar sakta hai.

kindely send the detail of this investment to CJ. for new so moto and add your karay khair

Chauday ke apni duum par paer aa gya ab woh kuch bhe kar sakta hai.

That was a response to your suggestion that Zardari was moving us towards Russia. Zardari can hardly take credit for the world moving towards a multi polar world.

As far as your suggestion to provide the CJ with details of Zardari's investments the last time I checked it was not a crime to have investments in America. A simple google search will give you a good guide to Zardari's investments. In any event the Courts are already calling Zardari to account. This PM was removed because he wished to protect a thief.

In IK we have someone whose heart is in the right place. But years of throwing a a ball does not qualify him for high office. Having said he is the best of a bad bunch. We Pakistanis are in my opinion expecting far too much of him or any one person
Nicely put!

Ephedrine case: Non-bailable arrest warrant issued for Shahabuddin

Pakistan's politics
Gilani goes
Jun 20th 2012, 15:50 by S.S. | ISLAMABAD

Update I: Late on June 20th the PPP nominated Makhdoom Shahabuddin for the prime minister's slot. Mr Shahabuddin, a rural grandee who had previously served as minister for health and minister for the textile industry, is well liked within the party and has a rural base in the south of Punjab province, a key target for the PPP in the next elections. The ruling coalition has the numbers to get his elevation through parliament, which meets on Friday.

Update II: Pakistani chaos struck again, just hours after Mr Shahabuddin's late-night nomination. On June 21st, it has been reported, arrest warrants were issued for Mr Shahabuddin and for Ali Musa Gilani, the son of his predecessor as prime minister, by an anti-narcotics court. Mr Gilani junior is accused of using his influence to import huge quantities of a chemical that can be used as a precursor for the manufacture of MDMA and other illegal drugs. The import, it is claimed, was approved by the health ministry while Mr Shahabuddin was in charge of it.

YOUSAF RAZA GILANI, Pakistan's prime minister, was thrown out of office by the Supreme Court on June 19th after four years in the job, as the judiciary drew blood in its confrontation with the executive. It was a measure of the misrule over which the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) has presided that nobody came out in support of Mr Gilani after he was ousted for contempt of court. Instead, the day was marked by ongoing violent protests across Punjab over crippling shortages of electricity, which are the government's most obvious failure.

Mr Gilani was collateral damage. The court's real target was the president, Asif Ali Zardari, who is shielded behind a constitutional immunity that the judges are trying to breach. The court, headed by the activist chief justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, had repeatedly ordered the prime minister to write to the Swiss authorities to request the reopening of old money-laundering cases against Mr Zardari. A loyalist (who has been tarnished with corruption accusations of his own), Mr Gilani refused.

Though the cabinet was also disbanded as a result of the ruling, parliament remains intact and a new PPP-led government will be formed. As head of the party, Mr Zardari retains the choice of a new prime minister. He is likely to focus on the loyalty, as opposed to the ability, of prospective appointments—which is just as well as there is little administrative talent in the ranks of PPP legislators. The new prime minister will also be hauled before the Supreme Court and told to write that letter to the Swiss. And he or she should also be prepared to resist the judges' blandishments—and then to be disqualified from parliament for five years.

Thanks to the long-running war between the judges and the executive, what little work Mr Zardari’s administration attempted was often compromised, with court orders regularly putting a stop to government decisions amid charges of graft. Pakistan is going through a messy transition to democracy, having emerged from its latest period of military rule in 2008. Three competing power centres—the judiciary, the executive and the army—are still jostling over the levers of state. The judiciary has not only looked partisan, but recently it was thrown into its own crisis with allegations that the son of the chief justice took money in return for promises to fix court cases from a businessman with ties to both the PPP and the army.

Setting the two civilian institutions at each other's throats suits the third power broker, the men in starched uniforms, says Asma Jahangir, a leading lawyer. In the constant undermining of the government by the courts and now the ousting of the prime minister, she sees a “soft coup”, such that the march of boots towards the capital, Islamabad, is no longer necessary.

The government’s tenure runs until March 2013, with many predicting that polls will be called even earlier. The PPP will try to exploit the felling of the prime minister as another example of its victimisation by “the establishment”. The installation of a new prime minister will enable it to present a fresh face to the public, and distance itself from the ineptitude and kickbacks associated with Mr Gilani’s tenure. With a clever coalition and a divided opposition, the PPP stands a decent chance of re-election.

Unquote

The above editorial vindicates my point view that SC verdict was not “Judicious”.

Relentless pursuit of the writing the letter to the Swiss Government and disqualification of an elected Prime Minister shows a vindictive streak in the highest judicial body of Pakistan which is baffling. One can say with certainty that the new Prime Minister is not going to write the letter either. How many PM’s will have to be disqualified before Iftikhar Chaudhry’s ego is satisfied?

There are too many issues facing Pakistan today. Economy is in a mess, there is no electricity, no gas and national debt doubled in the past 4 years. There is target killing in Karachi; terrorists are rampant and simmering Baluchistan verge of anarchy. Don’t ‘you think that this Damocles sword hanging on the PPP government is distracting and making the governance from bad to worse?

Presidential term will end in 2014 and Zardari's immunity lifted. Couldn’t we wait for the sake of stability in Pakistan? Our CJ obviously prefers not to.

Well said!
It is said that Pakistan's history could have been different had the Justice Muneer verdict been different in 1954. At that time too the judiciary might have followed the 'popular' route--which Dawn even then reportedly criticized. This judgement too will be seen by historians later as wrong, ill-timed, and damaging for Pakistan. A 3-member judicial panel insisting on the question of Presidential 'immunity' regardless what the entire parliament could say.

As I keep repeating, IF these judges decide to say Friday should be the weekend instead of Sunday because of the 'Islamist' nature of the Pakistani constitution then that 'interpretation' could not be challenged. I am not going to stoop to the level of accusing the justices of 'corruption' (Malik Riaz case) or even of a personal vendetta without a proof. But I strongly belief the judiciary has a strong political and ideological bias. I strongly believe this judiciary over-reaches.

History is probably going to vindicate the few of us Pakistanis who have opposed this judgement.

History is probably going to vindicate the few of us Pakistanis who have opposed this judgement.

What good does "vindication" do when grievous damage to the nation and state is already done?

Well said!
It is said that Pakistan's history could have been different had the Justice Muneer verdict been different in 1954. At that time too the judiciary might have followed the 'popular' route--which Dawn even then reportedly criticized. This judgement too will be seen by historians later as wrong, ill-timed, and damaging for Pakistan. A 3-member judicial panel insisting on the question of Presidential 'immunity' regardless what the entire parliament could say.

As I keep repeating, IF these judges decide to say Friday should be the weekend instead of Sunday because of the 'Islamist' nature of the Pakistani constitution then that 'interpretation' could not be challenged. I am not going to stoop to the level of accusing the justices of 'corruption' (Malik Riaz case) or even of a personal vendetta without a proof. But I strongly belief the judiciary has a strong political and ideological bias. I strongly believe this judiciary over-reaches.

Well Parliament is still supreme. They could pass a law to state that a thief or felon can be PM. If PPP and those of you are unhappy you know what to do. But hopefully now whatever these people do will have to be lawful.

What good does "vindication" do when grievous damage to the nation and state is already done?

Is it not so like some to already talk about vindication.

That was a response to your suggestion that Zardari was moving us towards Russia. Zardari can hardly take credit for the world moving towards a multi polar world.

As far as your suggestion to provide the CJ with details of Zardari's investments the last time I checked it was not a crime to have investments in America. A simple google search will give you a good guide to Zardari's investments. In any event the Courts are already calling Zardari to account. This PM was removed because he wished to protect a thief.

Pakistan and the SCO – The Express Tribune
this is need to read without "tasub glasses"

media nor this nation and opposition don't want to give a credit to zardari who is going to remove the main cause of all problem . yes ! to quit US block, which comprising of our close friends saudis and gulf states.
china is working on to mega dams with own capital with zardari efforts. US.and saudia are continuously forcing to stop iran gas pipe line but not provide us any alternate resource. saudia and kuwait has refused to give any credit for oil purchase.
sorry to say this nation is blindly agitating against zardari without knowing the facts.
google search could also give the detail if i upload any matter against any person at any sight. but i think this is valid for
CJ. as in memogate case. i hope your petition would warmly welcome by Chaudary sahab. moreover you don't need to come over here. video conference service would be provided by Honorable court

Back
Top Bottom