What's new

Gilani disqualified as PM: SC

My opinion may be wrong but I firmly believe that in this particular case, the Law may be with the Supreme Court in letter only but not in “Spirit”.

If Gilani had been convicted of an offence such as stealing, corruption, nepotism etc. which he is without doubt guilty of; I would go along with the SC decision wholeheartedly. However if you analyse the root cause of this momentous event you will see a clear political bias.

Step one: NRO is declared ‘Null & Void’

Step two: SC orders that a letter should be wriiten to Swiss Court to re-institute proceeding against Zardari who happens to be incumbent Head of the State.

Step 3: Gilani refuses to write the letter against his President and party leader.

Step 4: Gilani is convicted of Contempt of Court and disqualified.

Doesn’t the above sequence of events clearly indicate that the whole affair has been staged primarily to go after Zardari?

This implies that CJ and Supreme should decide who can be the Prime Minister of Pakistan? Dosen’t this contradicts the essence of democracy where this right is reserved with the ‘Voters’ who thru their elected representatives choose the Prime Minister.

Let us look at another case. Nawaz Sharif was convicted by the Court of Law and senteced to prison. He did a deal with the Dictator and was pardoned. The same Supreme Court decided that when the pardon was granted, both the conviction as well as the punishment was ‘wiped off’ and he is qualified for third time Premiership.

While two wrongs don’t make a right; can’t you see a clear bias in the judgement of the Supreme Court and the CJ?

Remember we are not discussing how bad or good PPP leaders are, here the point is whether a non-elected body should go after the President and the Prime Minister, mainly because they were not for Chaudhry Ifitkhar as CJ and only did so under pressure.

Everyone has a right to his/her opinion whether right or wrong. Now it is water under the bridge, nevertheless my view is that this Supreme Court, especially the CJ is highly biased and prejudiced and as such incapable of upholding the letter as well as the spirit of the Law and if CJ has even an iota of conscience, he should resign.

BIG hands are behind this conspiracy. US and Saudis both are willing to kick out non obedient PPP govt. I am saying that for year that CJ,COAS, opposition are their puppets.Zardari is moving Pakistan in Russian block which is not acceptable for US and saudis.

But Pakistan SC didn't convict him of corruption, did it? May be the motive of SC was to curb the corruption but the way they took to curb it, IMHO, is beyond SC's reach. Specially I think when SC gave 30 sec jail-term to Geelani, CJ came off as more of activist than a judge.

I'd never want Indian SC to be that proactive.

Contrary to what you think Judges if they apply the law correctly they do not have the discretion that you suggest

BIG hands are behind this conspiracy. US and Saudis both are willing to kick out non obedient PPP govt. I am saying that for year that CJ,COAS, opposition are their puppets.Zardari is moving Pakistan in Russian block which is not acceptable for US and saudis.

So tell me why is most of Zardaris loot invested in America not Russia??

So tell me why is most of Zardaris loot invested in America not Russia??

Because that is where the best and secure returns on investment are?

(Although, you should be happy that Zardari will lose all his money in USA as soon as the dollar crashes! :D )

Aryan, since I can remember, it has been the same and has gotten worse with time. I think that 'lets wait and see' approach won't work. The only thing it will do is that it will add - two additional generations - of 'oppressors' and the 'victims'.
The only way out seems to be is to - break everything apart, and then rebuild. But is Pakistan ready for a bloody revolution?

That is a tempting suggestion. But first Pakistan is not ready for that. Second even if we were ready in our position it would be very dangerous as we have people outside Pakistan who would interfere to our general detriment.

It would appear that most of us agree that if the law is applied and applied consistently to all and sundry this would be a step forward.

In a journey usually the first step is the hardest. we have taken it lets not for now worry about the future. We cannot fault or condemn it until and if it has failed.

The SC is on the verge of being abusive of its powers and falling prey to the same trap that most institutions fall into in Pakistan: overreach based on a few egos, followed by the inevitable national calamity.

Overreach? You're saying PM should be above the law? Didn't peg you for an advocate of a Supreme Leader concept.

The Supreme courts reach only starts when you or I would commit a crime. Don't commit one and you're fine.

(Although, you should be happy that Zardari will lose all his money in USA as soon as the dollar crashes! :D )

Most of it belongs to the national exchequer.

Cheng Du Chong,

It is not crisis, it is not gloom and doom; it is supremacy of Law. It is good, it is healthy, it shows respect for law and the vibrancy of judicial system. It will send tremors in the corrupt bureaucratic establishment and politicians. "No body is above law". A great day in Pakistan history. A turning point.

i havent always agreed with judiciary views but on issues like anti-corruption they are doing what others should be doing.....cracking down and keeping crooks in check.

Pakistanis - stop electing crooks.

and they are very hurt that you hate them; it has ruined their whole year.

do you have some information that is useful to share or are you falling victim to your emotions the way these bhartis do

Just report the false flagger man.

That makes no sense mate. The reverse has been true in the last 5 years. But that was in response to someone suggesting that Zardari was going pro Russian

Just report the false flagger man.

You on about VC again?

That is a tempting suggestion. But first Pakistan is not ready for that. Second even if we were ready in our position it would be very dangerous as we have people outside Pakistan who would interfere to our general detriment.

It would appear that most of us agree that if the law is applied and applied consistently to all and sundry this would be a step forward.

In a journey usually the first step is the hardest. we have taken it lets not for now worry about the future. We cannot fault or condemn it until and if it has failed.
I sincerely hope you are right buddy! Consequences of being wrong might be, well,..........

I sincerely hope you are right buddy! Consequences of being wrong might be, well,..........

I think if we support the judiciary in this and the judiciary remains consistent in time we may look at this as the turning point.

We should shout from the roofs that the rule of law is supreme and everything else will fall into place. I have been thinking about it for a day maybe it is a turning point. You do not need me to tell you how rich we are in human and other resources in Pakistan.

You do not need me to tell you how rich we are in human and other resources in Pakistan.
Oh man, that I agree with totally. Instead of all the odds, all the BS that is thrown at us. We succeed. Always!

Overreach? ................

Not overreach. I said it is on the verge of overreach. If the democratic process continues, with all branches of government are allowed to do their jobs within their constitutionally prescribed roles, then it may not be doing that.

Most of it belongs to the national exchequer.

While I do agree with you, that is a personal opinion only unless proven in a court of law with evidence, followed by conviction and recovery of the national treasure. That has not happened yet.

It is not crisis, it is not gloom and doom; it is supremacy of Law. It is good, it is healthy, it shows respect for law and the vibrancy of judicial system. It will send tremors in the corrupt bureaucratic establishment and politicians. "No body is above law". A great day in Pakistan history. A turning point.................

I would agree with AryanB below, in that this has the potential of being a turning point, but the ship of State has not turned yet.

I think if we support the judiciary in this and the judiciary remains consistent in time we may look at this as the turning point.

We should shout from the roofs that the rule of law is supreme and everything else will fall into place. I have been thinking about it for a day maybe it is a turning point. ...............

Not just shouting from rooftops, but also doing it ourselves and keeping all those around us in compliance with the law too.

First a very poignant Dawn editorial today:

Quote:

PM’s disqualificationFrom the Newspaper | 22 hours ago 42

IN disqualifying a sitting, democratically elected prime minister, the Supreme Court has taken an extraordinary — and unfortunate — step. This whole story could have played out very differently, in ways much less disruptive to the nascent democracy this country is trying to build, if the SC had steered clear of a course of action that has now brought the judiciary, parliament and the executive in direct confrontation with each other. At a number of junctures the court could have avoided pursuing the contempt of court case as doggedly as it did, especially considering that the larger issue — corruption — was a matter involving the president, not the prime minister. Legally there might have been a case against the prime minister, but it was best for the supreme judiciary not to have waded so deep into such obviously political waters. Even at a later stage, it could have let the speaker’s ruling — which has the backing of a parliamentary resolution — stand. If that was not possible, it could have declared her ruling unacceptable and referred the matter to the Election Commission rather than simply asking that body to issue a denotification. Even if the outcome had ultimately been the same, at least the court would not have taken on the role of directly disqualifying an elected prime minister. By doing so, it has both disrupted an existing democratic set-up and set a worrying precedent for the future.

But the damage has been done. And the PPP has an important choice to make. The party should now take the high moral ground and focus on the system rather than the individual. There are disruptive options: refusing to accept the order, for example, or delaying the matter by using the constitution to argue that the president can ask the prime minister to continue in office until a new one is appointed. For the sake of preserving the system, if the party has reservations against the judgment it should express these, perhaps even through a strongly worded parliamentary resolution, have Mr Yousuf Raza Gilani step aside and parliament elect a new prime minister as soon as possible.

Indications are that the ruling coalition has already embarked on this course. But it is still deeply unfortunate that matters have come to this stage; completing the five-year tenure of both an elected government and its chief executive would have been a much-needed win for Pakistan. What is critical now is that elections are held, whether early or on time and as free and fair as possible, so that the final judgment can be left to the people’s court.

PM

Unquote

The above editorial vindicates my point view that SC verdict was not “Judicious”.

Relentless pursuit of the writing the letter to the Swiss Government and disqualification of an elected Prime Minister shows a vindictive streak in the highest judicial body of Pakistan which is baffling. One can say with certainty that the new Prime Minister is not going to write the letter either. How many PM’s will have to be disqualified before Iftikhar Chaudhry’s ego is satisfied?

There are too many issues facing Pakistan today. Economy is in a mess, there is no electricity, no gas and national debt doubled in the past 4 years. There is target killing in Karachi; terrorists are rampant and simmering Baluchistan verge of anarchy. Don’t ‘you think that this Damocles sword hanging on the PPP government is distracting and making the governance from bad to worse?

Presidential term will end in 2014 and Zardari's immunity lifted. Couldn’t we wait for the sake of stability in Pakistan? Our CJ obviously prefers not to.

Hon Asim Aquil,

I am in full agreement with you regarding the crimes and shortcomings of Zardari as well as of Gilani. Gilani should have resigned as soon as he was sentenced by the SC. However moral fibre and righteousness is something severely lacking in Pakistani politicians.

I would have preferred removal of the PM thru the same body that elected him, that is thru a vote of no confidence or a ruling by the Speaker. I have firm conviction that in a democracy, a non-elected body lacks moral authority to remove an elected head of the government.

However, it is natural for people to have differing opinions and I have great respect for you and your views. Let us agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom