What's new

Getting tough on China.

CardSharp

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
I stumbled on this truly astonishing interview of some Congressman giving his advice for what US policy on China should be.

YouTube - Forbes Discusses China and President Hu's Visit to DC on Fox News

In it he alleges some ridiculous things.

-"the Chinese don't understand apologizes" implying some racial undertones of the devious Chinese will only take advantage of apologies as weaknesses.

-the US "finances the Chinese military buildup" (.... )

- The US can out compete China if only we can deregulate business, stop auditing businesses and cut taxes for businesses. [Obvious shilling for business interest, and as if the US hasn't tried deregulation (remember credit default swaps and derivatives?), and tax cut (Gee why does the US have a crippling deficit?)]

- The US can stop buying Chinese goods if China chooses to stop buying US treasuries, to remind them "China is in the position it's in because us (the US), not despite us"

- Not only does the US take pity on China by buying Chinese goods, the US also supply technology necessary for things like the Chinese space program, and the military.

He then ends things on the old China threat theory, citing the DF-21D, double digit defence spending increase, and new stealth fighter, then proceeds to shill for the defence industry lamenting defence cuts.

Truly amazing video, I know its fox news but still the sheer volume of ignorance and disingenuity is mind-boggling.

While it's not surprising that any given society will have weirdos and extremists spouting this bs, what is surprising that most americans lap this up--they take this hook, line, and sinker.

Part of the problem is the US media. They are obsessed with domestic news and what little of international news leaks through their cultural wall is negative and sensationalist. What little dialogue they have about international issues is set by the White House and repeated by the corporate media.

A case in point is the most recent Israeli offensive in Gaza, in which the IDF shot civilians, bombed schools, and used phosphorous weapons banned by the UN. Did CNN go into the warzone and cover the events impartially? No. They sat in ISRAELI BASES and covered the conflict entirely from the Israeli perspective.

Last edited:
While it's not surprising that any given society will have weirdos and extremists spouting this bs, what is surprising that most americans lap this up--they take this hook, line, and sinker.

Part of the problem is the US media. They are obsessed with domestic news and what little of international news leaks through their cultural wall is negative and sensationalist. What little dialogue they have about international issues is set by the White House and repeated by the corporated media.

A case in point is the most recent Israeli offensive in Gaza, in which the IDF shot civilians, bombed schools, and used phosphorous weapons banned by the UN. Did CNN go into the warzone and cover the events impartially? No. They sat in ISRAELI BASES and covered the conflict entirely from the Israeli perspective.

What also strikes me is how seamlessly he is able to play apprehension over China into the logical foundations for giving businesses tax cuts, and more funding for the defence industry.

I think that the fact that it is Fox News sums it up pretty well. Heck you even mentioned it you your post.

how does someone "stumble on" fox news CS :haha:
I could've expected it from HongWu the almighty, but not you mate

how does someone "stumble on" fox news CS :haha:

:frown: I was watching the dinner speeches given by President Hu and Obama and this came on the side bar.

and why do you think this is something that HongWu would post? Any specific point you find out of place?

:frown: I was watching the dinner speeches given by President Hu and Obama and this came on the side bar.

and why do you think this is something that HongWu would post? Any specific point you find out of place?

It's Faux News, I didn't bother watching it. Just replied to you with a mild humor :cheers:

Its Fox news and as usual like a fox..they try to act clever but fool in reality instead!

It's Faux News, I didn't bother watching it. Just replied to you with a mild humor :cheers:

It's just disheartening you know and as America runs into more and more problems of their own making, China will likely take more and more flak as scapegoat.

Its Fox news and as usual like a fox..they try to act clever but fool in reality instead!

Fox news is not reason why I clicked on the video, I clicked because this guy is a congressman and if people really voted him in, the US China relationship is in trouble.

It's just disheartening you know and as America runs into more and more problems of their own making, China will likely take more and more flak as scapegoat.

CS my dear friend, I wouldn't be disheartened if I were you. rants and whining such as this congressman in question will not change ground realities. China has outgrown the dependency it had on US.
relax buddy

What kind of comment is this... :disagree: Flaming two people for the price of one.

Also, I have no idea why you think that people can't "stumble" upon Fox News. I have stumbled on SO many Fox News clips while surfing the internet.

CS my dear friend, I wouldn't be disheartened if I were you. rants and whining such as this congressman in question will not change ground realities. China has outgrown the dependency it had on US.
relax buddy

It's not the dependency that worries me, it's the lack of trust between the world's two largest countries. Two countries that will arguably dictate the course of this century.

What kind of comment is this... :disagree: Flaming two people for the price of one.

Also, I have no idea why you think that people can't "stumble" upon Fox News. I have stumbled on SO many Fox News clips while surfing the internet.
^kindly read post 7 again

Don't sweat it guys, there's actually no animosity here.

It's not the dependency that worries me, it's the lack of trust between the world's two largest countries. Two countries that will arguably dictate the course of this century.

USSR and US were at each other's throats, still the two sides were sane enough to avoid any disasters.
I'm less worried about Sino-US relations.
CS, you remember right, I'm hopelessly optimistic :D

Back
Top Bottom