What's new

Germany Prepared To Stay in Afghanistan After 2014

selvan33

Reaction score
Country
India
Germany Prepared To Stay in Afghanistan After 2014

BONN — Germany is prepared to continue its military engagement in Afghanistan when ISAF ends in 2014, but only as part of an international mission and under certain conditions.

Defense Minister Thomas de Maizière and Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle presented their country’s offer to a possible international mission on April 18 in Berlin.

“The German federal government is prepared, as of 2015 for the following two years, to provide soldiers of around 600 to 800 for the train, advise and assist mission,” de Maizière said. The minister presented a so called “Hub and Spoke” model for Afghanistan, the hub being the capital. From there, four spokes would go out to the largest population centers in the north, south, east and west.

Germany is prepared to send its soldiers to Kabul and north to Mazar-e-Sharif, which is already the country’s area of responsibility.

“We are prepared to take on responsibility in the north, in Masar-e Sharif, as the framework nation, while being supported by our international partner nations,” the minister said. According to de Maizière, this model is limited to about two years. After that, the training, advising and assisting will be concentrated on the Kabul region.

“The German contribution will then entail around 200 to 300 soldiers,” he said.

Besides the capability to train and advise the Afghan National Security Forces, this mission would include providing support to its own troops and other troop contributors. Examples include logistics, medical facilities, transport capabilities, the protection of the servicemen and possibly evacuation, the minister said.

De Maizière said that conditions needed to participate in a new international mission after 2015 include a formal invitation from the Afghan government, a UN Security Council Resolution, a status of forces agreement with the Afghan government and a security situation that allows it.

With respect to the current ISAF mission, de Maizière said, “Thereby a mission will end, that was also a combat mission in its nature. Afghanistan must then look after its own security at the operational level.”

A future mission to train, advise and assist would be conducted to secure the results of the work.
Germany Prepared To Stay in Afghanistan After 2014 | Defense News | defensenews.com

I'd like to know the total number of foreign troops that are likely to still be present in Afghanistan after 2014..

lol yeah along side who ?? Taliban ? well someone was so right in saying that Afghanistan is the Graveyard of Super powers .... another super power has lost its respect,power here...

lol yeah along side who ?? Taliban ? well someone was so right in saying that Afghanistan is the Graveyard of Super powers .... another super power has lost its respect,power here...

I think that term is more apt for Russia, who faced full scale invasions and complete devestation from Both Hitler and Napolon.

Afghan conflicts have been limited and not with the intent of complete destruction and loss of life seen in the Russian wars.

I think that term is more apt for Russia, who faced full scale invasions and complete devestation from Both Hitler and Napolon.

Afghan conflicts have been limited and not with the intent of complete destruction and loss of life seen in the Russian wars.

well i have been into afghan history, as few as i could learn,Starting from Mughal Empire in Hindustan( Currently, Pakistan,India,Bangladesh,Srilanka,Nepal, few parts of burma and afghanistan) lost wars in Afghanistan, then it was British empire, its said that they ruled whole of hindustan but could win in Afghanistan. in a famous battle, a strong 14,000 of british troops attack kingdom of afghanistan, only one solider made his way out, and he was also send by afghans to tell his officers not to attack again..
then it was russians (though its was american dollor and Pakistan's mind) that destroy them, now its America and Nato.

well i have been into afghan history, as few as i could learn,Starting from Mughal Empire in Hindustan( Currently, Pakistan,India,Bangladesh,Srilanka,Nepal, few parts of burma and afghanistan) lost wars in Afghanistan, then it was British empire, its said that they ruled whole of hindustan but could win in Afghanistan. in a famous battle, a strong 14,000 of british troops attack kingdom of afghanistan, only one solider made his way out, and he was also send by afghans to tell his officers not to attack again..
then it was russians (though its was american dollor and Pakistan's mind) that destroy them, now its America and Nato.

This time Afghani people are with ANA and their Govt as well and they do not see ANA as oppressor. Logic fail. Nations only support ANA with training and logistics.

This time Afghani people are with ANA and their Govt as well and they do not see ANA as oppressor. Logic fail. Nations only support ANA with training and logistics.

Sorry to ask, but in any case,, are you the same HellRaiser007(Haji) who used to debate in Orkut communities long ago ?? in Z Company..

aahhh dear. ok good to know your point of view :) but i dont agree with what you said.

Yes , sir they are staying back. They aren't going anywhere post 2014. Even the Americans. wonder why Germans are showing such commitment to Af ?

You have to give 'em Brits some credit for fighting wars thousands of kilometers away from home and kicking local a$$, all thanks to technological advances. Hope you live to see the Western armies return with robots and invisibility tech. =)

You have to give 'em Brits some credit for fighting wars thousands of kilometers away from home and kicking local a$$, all thanks to technological advances. Hope you live to see the Western armies return with robots and invisibility tech. =)

most of the soldiers fought were Indians not much alien to Afghanistan region

@mian H Amin:..............To be honest...I really agree with you...it is a brutal truth...I think time has come to realize for every one that none should try to tamper the way people live in Afghanistan..Any military involvement is really useless...

In that context...I would really appreciate India GOV and its involvement to get engaged as completely Non military and humanitarian context...In future....I feel that Pakistan assures India and its business interest( No military or spy engagement) and India, China and other major economic power do trade and investment in Afghanistan, then situation will definitely change...

It is 100% true that Pakistan is and the only player that can guarantee a complete violence free Afghanistan...If anyone is thinking that it is not true, then they have to realize that then no one can really provide violence free environment to Afghanistan...So Pakistan has to think in a progressive way...It requires more prudent and mature leadership from PAKISTAN to support the democratic gov is Afghanistan rather than Taliban who want to Afghanistan to 1000 century back....If this really happens, then it will really be a challenge to Pakistan and its easteren border too...

Last edited by a moderator:

well mughal empire was able to conquer afghanistan pretty easily .. i know people do rise against the invaders but their uprisings were supressed in a pretty bad manner. it didnt take long for the mughals to conquer all of afghanistan as afghanistan stayed like a ball between the hands of safavids and mughals.
on the other hand first anglo afghan war was pretty disastrous for british but in the next two they completely took control and signed 1893 agreement in wihc kpk was added into british empire and afghanistan was not able to make any decisions with foreighn countries without consulting british indian empire. so basically kpk is the strongest part as when kpk was their part they defeated the british in a v v v bad fashion..

Back
Top Bottom