What's new

Germany Introduces Islamic Education in Schools

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I seriously think many countries should learn from this:

CAIRO – Schools in the central German state of Hesse have started to offer Islamic education for primary school Muslim students, placing Islam on equal footing with the official Protestant and Catholic learning.

“They come here with such different backgrounds,” Timur Kumlu, a state-trained teacher at the Islamic instruction program, told New York Times on Tuesday, January 7.

“We must educate so that they develop a personality with common roots,” in Germany and in Islam.

The classes, offered for the first time in German public schools, started in Hesse to better integrate Muslims in the German society.

Following decades of neglect, the classes were part of a growing consensus that Germany was willing to serve its Muslim minority.

It was also proposed as a government bid to better integrate the nation’s large Muslim minority and counter the growing influence of what they termed as “radical religious thinking”.

Delivering the Islamic classes, state-trained teachers use specially written textbooks to educate students on their peaceful faith.

Welcoming the optional Islamic classes, dozens of vigorous Muslim students have signed-up for at least 29 classes across the immigrant predominated districts.

“I think it’s clear now that for years we made the mistake of alienating people,” said Nicola Beer, who as education minister in Hesse was one of several politicians, professors and teachers who pushed for the Islamic instruction.

Germans recognize that “we are here together, we work together, and we educate our children together.”

Germany has between 3.8 and 4.3 million Muslims, making up some 5 percent of the total 82 million population, according to government-commissioned studies.

Germans have grown hostile to the Muslim presence recently, with a heated debate on the Muslim immigration into the country.

A recent poll by the Munster University found that Germans view Muslims more negatively than their European neighbors.

Germany’s daily Der Spiegel had warned last August that the country is becoming intolerant towards its Muslim minority.

According to a 2010 nationwide poll by the research institute Infratest-dimap, more than one third of the respondents would prefer "a Germany without Islam."

Religious Classes

With each of the 16 states determining its own education system, Muslims started offering religious education through Islamic organizations in different German states, including Berlin.

After struggling for 20 years to get the permission for Islamic teaching, Muslims were granted the right to hold a 40-minute instruction class per week, which didn't meet the minority’s demands at that time.

"It is difficult to be a Muslim in Germany,” said Fazil Altin, 34, a lawyer who is president of the Islamic Federation, who said he had been denied access to clients in jails because of his faith.

“The fact is, we are seen as a danger,” Altin says that more inclusive activities and polices are needed to void the gap between Muslims and the secular society of Germany.

Muslims in the immigrant-heavy district of Kreuzberg have been facing multi challenges of integration, including German parents’ condemnations due to the growing numbers of immigrants in their children's schools.

"Teachers here have a feeling that something doesn’t fit with Islam and democracy,” said Sabine Achour, a German lecturer and educator in Berlin who is married to a Moroccan lawyer.

German Muslims have also voiced concerns about the possibilities of applying Hesse's initiative in the rest of Germany's 16 states.

The state-trained teachers in Hesse were required to accomplish 240 hours of extra schooling at Giessen University to join the Islamic instruction program.

Motivated by his ignorance about Islam, Kumlu, 31, the first-grade teacher, was eager to join the state-approved Islamic classes.

“I wanted to clear this up,” said Kumlu, whose pupils now are third- to fifth-generation German.

“And they should be on an equal basis with other religions.”

With passage of time, Europe will come to accept Islam as any other religion. I just hope the European Muslims are not attracted to extremism. Any Maulvi teaching or preaching Extremism should be deported as these low life jerks give Islam a bad name.

With passage of time, Europe will come to accept Islam as any other religion. I just hope the European Muslims are not attracted to extremism. Any Maulvi teaching or preaching Extremism should be deported as these low life jerks give Islam a bad name.

Educated Muslims [In faith studies] are tolerant Muslims.

Germany is truly inspiring not because they let Islam be taught at school but because of the religious tolerance they have, Policies that help better integrate different cultures in one society is a great thing.

Perhaps one can argue it is a good way to fight extremism to learn in proper school than a radical madrassa. Although I support secular education.

Perhaps one can argue it is a good way to fight extremism to learn in proper school than a radical madrassa. Although I support secular education.
Secular does not mean you devoid the few in this case minorities of their right to religion...

I find muslims with good job or income( be it white blue collor or a farmer job) more tolerant then unemployed or ill imployed one over here...
You mean frustrated men?

(Please type correct or work on your english)

Secular does not mean you devoid the few in this case minorities of their right to religion...

Right to religion is not the same as a secular state (Germany) having no responsibility providing religious education be it for any religion. Private schools is separate hence they are not state funded or serviced.

Right to religion is not the same as a secular state (Germany) having no responsibility providing religious education be it for any religion. Private schools is separate hence they are not state funded or serviced.
Right to religion is the foremost thing a secular state can provide as the state is spearated from the religion so cant bring in religion....
Timur Kumlu, a state-trained teacher at the Islamic instruction program
Delivering the Islamic classes, state-trained teachers use specially written textbooks to educate students on their peaceful faith.
Yes, Germany has no responsibility but that is not the issue...Germany wants to control and make sure they know who is being taught what...
1 of the 1st steps to maturity is to know if you have err and see no problems in declaring it or accepting it...and then to actually go and try to fix it or change it....
“I think it’s clear now that for years we made the mistake of alienating people,” said Nicola Beer, who as education minister in Hesse was one of several politicians, professors and teachers who pushed for the Islamic instruction.

My post came after you wrote

I am not sure why everyone thinks they know better about being secular or what secular is or dividing and rearranging its provisions! It doesnt make Germany less secular if they want to provide religious education! So do you mind explaining what did you mean by what you wrote:

Although I support secular education

Right to religion is the foremost thing a secular state can provide as the state is spearated from the religion so cant bring in religion....

Yes, Germany has no responsibility but that is not the issue...Germany wants to control and make sure they know who is being taught what...
1 of the 1st steps to maturity is to know if you have err and see no problems in declaring it or accepting it...and then to actually go and try to fix it or change it....

My post came after you wrote

I am not sure why everyone thinks they know better about being secular or what secular is or dividing and rearranging its provisions! It doesnt make Germany less secular if they want to provide religious education! So do you mind explaining what did you mean by what you wrote:
Although I support secular education

Secular education means education taught in a non-religious manner but from a factual and scientific perspective and base. Teaching children two diametrically opposed schools of thought can confuse young students.

Secular education means education taught in a non-religious manner but from a factual and scientific perspective and base. Teaching children two diametrically opposed schools of thought can confuse young students.
True but it is Germany's choice based on discussing it with a whole body of representatives...
education minister in Hesse was one of several politicians, professors and teachers who pushed for the Islamic instruction.

I am not sure if one can argue to know better than a whole body of people from different fields!

True but it is Germany's choice based on discussing it with a whole body of representatives...

I am not sure if one can argue to know better than a whole body of people from different fields!

Yes it is their choice but I think their political party is simply thinking well we have to deal with Islam because there are so many Muslims in Germany, so they are thinking we might as well control the teaching of it from schools. Also those professors and teachers are probably Muslims themselves. Religious education is there to serve personal religions, not many jobs out there were religious education will come in handy.

Yes it is their choice but I think their political party is simply thinking well we have to deal with Islam because there are so many Muslims in Germany, so they are thinking we might as well control the teaching of it from schools.
Secular doesnt mean you become stupid but if one has to adjust their views to improve a situation then why not? In reality there really is no full scale secular! Everyone has to adjust to something or another...We are not robots of extremism hence everything in moderation is perfect!

Germany wants to have an eye on the Muslims,i guess.
Btw,it is Hessen.

Back
Top Bottom