What's new

Germany - Calls mount for G36 assault rifle replacement

I would honestly wait until I saw the final results of these reports. Greece doesn't have the money to phase out its current G3 service rifles to introduce the G36 or any other modern rifle anyway.

Estonia would buy Greek weapons - EN.DELFI
Wednesday, July 8, 2015

University of Thessaly economy professor Christos Kollias, who has close ties to the Greek army, predicts that Greece will start selling used military equipment to cut costs and will start closing military bases, Aripaev Online cites political portal Politico.
Estonian Defence Ministry Undersecretary for Defence Planning Jonatan Vseviov told Politico that Estonia could be interested in such a course of things.

"If some NATO ally should start selling its excess used equipment, acquiring which would coincide with our medium and long-term needs, then of course we would think about purchasing it," said Vseviov. "In many cases, we have already done that," he added.

I live in an island near Athens.

I have been following this because of some small similarities that could be seen when it comes to a country amassing debt. The Greek debt is mammoth. More than $300 billion. A country of that size and military spending has to make tough choices. I would have voted yes as well. But unfortunately the subsidies the Greeks are used to are not an easy drug to lose. I see extremely hard times for Greeks.

Our country never should have a problem like this cause the public has no idea what a referendum is unless it is given by a foreign national in only one city if they should be allowed to keep extorting and continue their criminal activities. Plus we always say yes to who we borrow money from. Who cares about long term financial disasters that could be looming.

All in all as tough as it may sound I can give you a solid backing that Greece will not be out of the European union. Its the advantage of being sort of white. Some white folks will look out for you. Guaranteed. Since this has been happening I have also started saving cash to visit your country hopefully soon.

I personally am not sure if these accusations have proper ground. After you have been firing for long periods on full auto with just about any gun the accuracy would suffer. I would bet you could put a ARX-160 or a SA80 through the same exact conditions and the results would be the same.
That said we could have a good replacement in the form of the H&K 416 if needed

Lithuanian defence minister says there are other alternatives to German G36 rifles - EN.DELFI
Friday, July 10, 2015

If it transpires that German rifles Heckler & Koch G36 are unreliable, other alternatives will be sought, says Lithuania's National Defence Minister Juozas Olekas.

dalia-grybauskaite-su-automatiniu-sautuvu-g36-68453896.jpg

According to the minister, Heckler & Koch rifles have been in use by the Lithuanian Armed Forces for 10 years and are highly appreciated by soldiers. The Ministry of National Defence will wait for the German experts to produce their findings on the accuracy of the G36 rifle before deciding on further purchases. Olekas added that there are other alternatives to the G36 rifle.

"Of course the supply is wider, it is not the only weapon on the market," said the minister of national defence.

After doubts have been raised in Germany regarding the reliability of G36, Lithuania's Ministry of National Defence temporarily halted new purchases of this rifle. The German media reported that the German Armed Forces experienced issues with the rifle in Afghanistan - G36 faced severe accuracy problems when it overheated after being fired on full auto.

Up to now, the Lithuanian Armed Forces has purchased G36 rifles for approximately EUR 12.8 million. This year the military planned to buy more of these rifles.

I personally am not sure if these accusations have proper ground. After you have been firing for long periods on full auto with just about any gun the accuracy would suffer. I would bet you could put a ARX-160 or a SA80 through the same exact conditions and the results would be the same.
That said we could have a good replacement in the form of the H&K 416 if needed

It seems that, if the reports turn out to be true, the problem lies with the barrel (and the lightweight materials around it). However, accuracy problems due to an heated rifle barrel is, like you said, a problem even the most modern rifles face. So if the reports are, the Bundeswehr and H&K could start developing new uppers for their otherwise proven AR.

What I can't grasp however, is why the politicians were so quick in jumping to outphasing the ENTIRE rifle. It just doesn't make any sense. You don't suddently buy an entirely new car either, if only the wheel is in need of replacing.

Likewise, for as far as I have known, the G36's internals have been known for their reliability. The same G36 guts have been transferred to newer like the HK416 and HK417, so if the inaccuracy accussations were true, it would mean a far further reaching issue than what German politicians make it to be. I heard contradicting statements from the soldiers and H&K themselves, about how the so-called reliability issue was more politically motived rather than militarily.

Heckler & Koch Fires Back At G36 Audit Report - The Firearm Blog

Last edited:
It seems that, if the reports turn out to be true, the problem lies with the barrel (and the lightweight materials around it). However, accuracy problems due to an heated rifle barrel is, like you said, a problem even the most modern rifles face. So if the reports are, the Bundeswehr and H&K could start developing new uppers for their otherwise proven AR.

What I can't grasp however, is why the politicians were so quick in jumping to outphasing the ENTIRE rifle. It just doesn't make any sense. You don't suddently buy an entirely new car either, if only the wheel is in need of replacing.
Likewise, for as far as I have known, the G36's internals have been known for their reliability. The same G36 guts have been transferred to newer like the HK416 and HK417, so if the inaccuracy accussations were true, it would mean a far further reaching issue than what German politicians make it to be. I heard contradicting statements from the soldiers and H&K themselves, about how the so-called reliability issue was more politically motived rather than militarily.
Well bro to put it simply Germany has some of the stupidest politicians in central Europe. The bundeswehr has far more important issues that need to be taken care of then the "issue" with the G-36 rifle.
Such as the sorry state of the Luftwaffe (air force) a lot of the Luftwaffe's aircraft are damaged and are unable to fly.
Compared to that the overheat issue is somewhat mute.
If the problem is real as you said it can be fixed by changing the barrel and some of the components around it.

Back
Top Bottom