Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
German defense minister refuses to wear abaya in Saudi Arabia
By News Desk
Published: December 15, 2016
0SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen refused to wear traditional Muslim attire over an official visit to Saudi Arabia last Wednesday.

UK police force considers allowing burqa-clad policewomen

“Of course, I respect the customs and customs of a country. I strive to comply with such rules. But for me there are limits to the way I adapt to the country,” German newspaper Bild quoted her as having said. “I do not put on a headscarf and I wear trousers,” the minister said.

Explaining her decision, she stressed that “Being able to choose your own clothes is a right for both men and women alike.” For this reason, she said, “It annoys me, when women travelling with women are pressured into wearing the abaya.”

Egyptian MP backs burqa ban, terms garment ‘un-Islamic’

Leyen’s diplomatic engagement with Saudi Arabia’s Deputy Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman al Saud was held to discuss the training of Saudi officers in the European Union. The Christian Democratic Union politician and her team were offered abayas by the German embassy in Riyadh when they arrived last Wednesday.

Iraqi pharmacist Hussam al-Mosawi tweeted that Leyen’s decision was “an insult to Saudi Arabia.”

German interior minister calls for partial burqa ban
However, her decision has caused very little controversy as it was not without precedent. United States First Lady Michelle Obama, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, former US Secretary of States Hillary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice and former US first lady Laura Bush have all done the same.

This article originally appeared on Independent.

Iraqi pharmacist Hussam al-Mosawi tweeted that Leyen’s decision was “an insult to Saudi Arabia.”
A German lady refuses to wear a religion centric dress in KSA , how does it impact an Iraqi ? The host seems unaffected.
However, her decision has caused very little controversy as it was not without precedent.
Was the lady expected to wear an Abaya ? If so why ? If not , then whats the fuss ?

Last edited:
So a German lady refused to wear the abaya in saudi arabia because there are limits to what she is willing to adept to a country rules. Yet supports abaya ban because want others to comply to their country rules.

The lady was a visitor ( Guest) in KSA. He she been an immigrant she would have been duty bound to comply with laws fo the land.

A German lady refuses to wear a religion centric dress in KSA , how does it impact an Iranian ? The host seems unaffected.

Was the lady expected to wear an Abaya ? If so why ? If not , then whats the fuss ?
Wrong. Abya is a cultural dress of middle East, not religious.

What about her?

b398aa70c4b7b9b66f31f2755b739c1f

There's massive issues and muslims are making a problem out of women showing their hair, it really doesn't matter whether the hair is visible or not, men will still go after women.

Though I outright despise the forceful promotion of Islamic morality, like forcing women to wear the Hijab there is a logic that when in another country we have to obey their rules. Since this is the argument forwarded by those who refuse to let muslim women wear hijab in the west, like in Netherlands/France then the same should apply to Saudi Arabia.

No doubt the law is moronic and shouldn't exist but we have to follow rules, unless the rules demand that we harm someone or oppress someone.

@MarkusS @flamer84

And then she will go back to Germany and preach that Muslim women cannot wear hijabs and must respect European customs. Downright hilarious how hypocritical it is.

If I was a Saudi official, i would have asked German Defense minister "Please wear at least one piece of clothing because its a muslim tradition"...would she abide by it?

Back
Top Bottom