What's new

German Army reporting problems with G36 rifle

Manticore

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The G36 has been in service with the German Army (Bundeswehr) since 1997. While the G36 wasn't the first rifle adopted by a major military that made extensive use of polymers, it was certainly one of the more popular designs. It has been used by at least 30 different countries in some capacity making it a successful design on the military small arms market.

Despite HK's sterling reputation for quality the rifle isn't universally loved. Now a German newspaper is reporting that the German Army is aware of an interesting problem. Once the rifle heats up with use, the accuracy degrades so much that it's ineffective past 200 meters.

An internal document intended for the Secretary of Defense stated that once the rifle gets hot enemy targets past 200 meters can not be safely engaged. The document states that the problem represents a significant deficiency in the G36's design. The military is recommending that troops allow their rifles to cool in firefights to help deal with the problem. They warn that if troops aren't careful, the G36 can completely fail. The Armed Forces Association, a German soldiers' interest group, is urging a speedy resolution to this problem.

What I find interesting is that this problem is just now coming to light. Has the German Army covered up this problem? I can't imagine that it's taken over a decade of fighting in the Middle East before this problem to come to light.

Screen+shot+2012-04-27+at+7.52.17+PM.png

Military Arms Channel Blog: German Army reporting problems with G36 rifle

HK must have addressed this problem

From German investigative news magazine DER SPIEGEL, 16.09.2013.

German soldiers were seriously doubting their marksman abilities, but after all it seems the gun were at fault. Hit rates were low, ammunition need huge even after added practice improvements.

As it turns out now, the G36 approval tests from the 90's were held in poor conditions. The team was undermanned, tests were skipped, different ammunition was used.

Tests done now reveal that the barrel is not reliably fixed. Barrel heat is transferred to the plastic holdings, which have an inconsistent amount of fiber, so that the heat leads to an inconsistent wandering of the barrel itself. Further the different traits of metal and plastic reinforce this effect. An external temperature of 23 degree Celsius already can destabilize the plastics. The heat developing during a firefight such as in a common Afghan ambush increases the average bullet stray to 75-600 cm on 500m distance.

H&K says the gun is only suited for up to 200 m. Bundeswehr soldiers react by switching back to G3 rifles whenever possible.

This adds to previous reports which stated that the 5.56 mm NATO rounds may be too weak in accuracy through environmental effects and in hit effect compared to 7.62 mm. Overall the Bundeswehr says that their 5.56 mm fire does not impress Taliban at all anymore and only heavier weaponry still gives them some respect. Soldiers and clerks now agree that switching to G36 was a grave mistake.

Domok_g36.JPG

Have other countries have issues with the G36? If the problem is the barrel they can simply make a new barrel sure that isn't difficult for HK.

The heat developing during a firefight such as in a common Afghan ambush increases the average bullet stray to 75-600 cm on 500m distance.

H&K says the gun is only suited for up to 200 m. Bundeswehr soldiers react by switching back to G3 rifles whenever possible.

This adds to previous reports which stated that the 5.56 mm NATO rounds may be too weak in accuracy through environmental effects and in hit effect compared to 7.62 mm. Overall the Bundeswehr says that their 5.56 mm fire does not impress Taliban at all anymore and only heavier weaponry still gives them some respect. Soldiers and clerks now agree that switching to G36 was a grave mistake.

So does that mean that our G3s with an Upgrade would yet still have a decade or two in them still ?

Thats not coming out "now". Its long known fact in germany. It was just not reported that much. I know from friends that tehy are qute unhappy with this model in many factors. As far as i know it has too much components made with different materials. That leads to failure.

g36........i love it.....:(....i always choose g36 over m16 in delta force game!!

Back
Top Bottom