What's new

Geo licence suspended for 15 days by PEMRA

I really hope Pemra wont come out saying again that these guys dont have authority to make a decision.

Geo is suffering big time and TBH its bcz of their own over reaction. It was a a hound dog was released when thne mir incident happened. They just lost it.

Slow and steady - destroy their business model, they'll collapse on their own weight!

but what about foreign funding, shouldnt there be a check on foreign funding?

but what about foreign funding, shouldnt there be a check on foreign funding?

They have landed themselves right in the middle of the beehive. They know how to fix funding issues :D

They have landed themselves right in the middle of the beehive. They know how to fix funding issues :D

I dont see that happening, I wish though that Geo foreign funding is fully exposed and this 6 decades old blackmailer mafia ends..

Slow and steady - destroy their business model, they'll collapse on their own weight!
Sorry to Sir ISI has called them traitors and now ISI has no option than to make sure they are shut down because other wise ISI credibility will go down in drain

Sue isi for 50b and ask for apology. Pemra fines 10m. Tells how incompetent pemra is.

Geo needs to get fined 50b or be operational. I do not favor censorship, like shutting down. they need to pay a bigger fine than just 10m.

First geo says how it respects army, how it protects pakistan etc, now it says geo is mighty, it has been around BEFORE the institutions and it deserves apology. Wow geo has some real guts.

Either the senior staff of army tlgether tender resignation or force PM to take action on geo. Either Geo lives with fine and limitations, or the army.

This is getting ridiculous. Geo is banned yet I can watch it or see website, so much for respecting institutions.

Sue isi for 50b and ask for apology. Pemra fines 10m. Tells how incompetent pemra is.

Geo needs to get fined 50b or be operational. I do not favor censorship, like shutting down. they need to pay a bigger fine than just 10m.

First geo says how it respects army, how it protects pakistan etc, now it says geo is mighty, it has been around BEFORE the institutions and it deserves apology. Wow geo has some real guts.

Either the senior staff of army tlgether tender resignation or force PM to take action on geo. Either Geo lives with fine and limitations, or the army.

This is getting ridiculous. Geo is banned yet I can watch it or see website, so much for respecting institutions.
Why sue ISI? Didnt get that bit!

You do know its not America sue and all that isnt popular in Pakistan!

Why sue ISI? Didnt get that bit!

You do know its not America sue and all that isnt popular in Pakistan!
Yes, they said isi is harassing its 8000 workers.

So they're suring for 500 million dollars. Meanwhile pemra fined geo 100 thousands dollars. I feel the gov't is siding with geo..

Yes, they said isi is harassing its 8000 workers.

So they're suring for 500 million dollars. Meanwhile pemra fined geo 100 thousands dollars. I feel the gov't is siding with geo..
Oh that yea...govt is a little ga- ga lately :D

Geo News has sued the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) for defamation over accusations of being anti-state, it said on Friday.

Geo News, part of the privately-owned Jang Group, has also given the ISI 14 days to issue a public apology.

“Geo and Jang Group (have) served a legal notice on the Ministry of Defence, Inter-Services Intelligence and Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority for defaming and maligning the group,” the channel said in a report published in a newspaper owned by the media house.

“More than 8,000 journalists, workers and professionals attached to the group and their families are not only being harassed but also attacked and tortured across Pakistan.”

In April, the defence ministry had demanded that the license of Geo News be suspended after it provided air space to journalist Amir Mir who accused the ISI for being behind the shooting of his brother Hamid Mir, one of Pakistan's most famous television anchormen.

Since the dispute began, Geo News has been taken off the air in several parts of the country or been moved to obscure slots (Dawn loves geo hehe, so biased) on the channel lineup by the cable operators, allegedly under pressure from the military, according to the lawsuit.

Distribution of the parent group's newspapers has also been disrupted.

Last month, the channel apologised for the allegations in an attempt to resolve the issue.

But temperatures have failed to cool and in a lawsuit the channel has now asked the ISI to retract what it called its defamatory statements, publicly apologise and pay $500 million in damages.

A spokesman for the military was not immediately available for comment.

April's shooting of Hamid Mir sent a chill through the journalists’ community weeks after television anchor Raza Rumi was attacked in Lahore. Rumi survived but his driver was shot dead.

No one has claimed responsibility for the recent assaults, although the Taliban, holed up in mountains on the Afghan border, have made repeated threats against domestic and foreign reporters for portraying the insurgency in a negative light.

Bpb-KYRCQAAwKQH.png

Geo has to shut down for every if Armed Forces doesn't do it than they have to answer families of these martyrs

Sorry to say army chief is acting like IG Punjab...

Just 15 days is like what Ifthikar Chowdry did with Gillani 1 minute detention..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom