What's new

Generations pay off debts through slavery

Too bad.. Slavery if it exists is definitely shameful for all of us and it happens in China too.

China's disabled exploited as slaves

My heart goes out for these poor people who are forced to work in brick kilns as slaves and are tortured and made to live in deplorable living conditions.

No need to bring China in this. I don't think his intention was to flame, not yet.

No need to bring China in this. I don't think his intention was to flame, not yet.

Don't sweat it, it's reflex for him. I'd like to know more though.

Was this part of the caste system of farming. Someone did mention that Brahmins are not suppose to work their own lands.

Too bad.. Slavery if it exists is definitely shameful for all of us and seems like its prevalent in China too.

China's disabled exploited as slaves

My heart goes out for these poor people who are forced to work in brick kilns as slaves and are tortured and made to live in deplorable living conditions.

Hey,casual isn't of those schadenfreude types .
Of course,there are troubled cases as such around the globe,for now lets stick with the topic.

Hey,casual isn't of those schadenfreude types .
Of course,there are troubled cases as such around the globe,for now lets stick with the topic.

I guess the topic is Slavery and my post very well fits the bill.. Denounce Slavery and I do and would denounce it in India, China, Africa or where ever it happens.. You think what I posted is something to be proud off.

Don't sweat it, it's reflex for him. I'd like to know more though.

Well there's not much to know actually.

Guy takes a loan. Can't pay back. Dies. Son has to pay the loan. Can't pay back. dies. cycle goes on.

In fact, in most of the cases, these people are so poor and illiterate that they can't even imagine that they have paid the loan through their work.

It happens mostly in three north Indian states, UP, Bihar and Jharkhand. It happens in the remotest or places where the reach of the administration is weak because of either inefficiency or simply corruption.

I don't exactly remember the name of the place. It was very very rural and there were many labourers there. My dad told me they weren't paid and they were bonded labours.

It's all a mafia.

I am not denying what you saw, I am only questioning the prevalence.

I have been to many places in Bihar. And except for the coal mafia, that even controls the politics there, and a few traditionally prominent families (can count them on my fingers), I have not seen anyone capable of imposing bonded labor.
And since lack of education and poor infrastructure are two main colluding evils, you now know why Bihar has always been forced to stay behind in the same fields.

Now My question to Chinese friends, Are such cases prevalent in China? if yes, are they not illegal?

PS:: I didn't wanted to create a new thread for this as we already are discussing the subject.

Well there's not much to know actually.

Guy takes a loan. Can't pay back. Dies. Son has to pay the loan. Can't pay back. dies. cycle goes on.

In fact, in most of the cases, these people are so poor and illiterate that they can't even imagine that they have paid the loan through their work.

It happens mostly in three north Indian states, UP, Bihar and Jharkhand. It happens in the remotest or places where the reach of the administration is weak because of either inefficiency or simply corruption.

I was referring to this actually.

Was this part of the caste system of farming. Someone did mention that Brahmins are not suppose to work their own lands.

I was referring to this actually.

Ya. It could be related to caste system.

See basically the lower castes (Dalits) are also the poorest, usually.

So a poor is more likely to be a Dalit, more likely to be uneducated and more likely to end up being a pawn in the hands of Mafia guys.

It's a vicious circle.

Ya. It could be related to caste system.

See basically the lower castes (Dalits) are also the poorest, usually.

So a poor is more likely to be a Dalit, more likely to be uneducated and more likely to end up being a pawn in the hands of Mafia guys.

It's a vicious circle.

Is there a religious reason why Brahmins traditionally are not suppose to do farm work?

Is there a religious reason why Brahmins traditionally are not suppose to do farm work?

Naaa. None that I'm aware of.

In fact, farming is considered a very noble activity in India.

A farmer feeds the nation. It's actually just the hard work associated with farming and the availability of cheap bonded labor in earlier times that led to this practice.

A rich guy (most likely to be an upper caste) could easily hire a few uneducated people (most likely to be lower caste) into bonded labour.

Card Sharp,

How about answering this, Are Brick Kiln owners really exploiting poor in China? With such economic growth, don't you think your people should have been self sufficient enough to not fall pray to these crooked brick kiln owners.. What are your thought on this?

Brahmins generally are confined to temples. ,But there is no restriction as such ,my dad use to help my late grandpa in the fields sometimes

Card Sharp,

How about answering this, Are Brick Kilns owners really exploiting poor in China? With such economic growth, don't you think your people should have been self sufficient enough to not fall pray to these crooked brick kiln owners.. What are your thought on this?

My friend, the most effective way of getting people to our side is by answering their question.

Let's just try to answer their questions.

May be we'd be able to make a few Chinese friends here. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom