What's new

Gen-next of immigrants in US return home ; India, China to gain from revers

Hello_10

BANNED
Reaction score
Gen-next of immigrants in US return home ; India, China to gain from reverse brain drain

Samir Kapadia seemed to be on the rise in Washington, moving from an internship on Capitol Hill to jobs at a major foundation and a consulting firm. Yet his days, he felt, had become routine.

Meanwhile, friends and relatives in India, his native country, all in their early- to mid-20s, were telling him about their lives in the newly surging nation. One was creating an e-commerce business, another a public relations company, still others a magazine, a business incubator and a gossip and events website.

"I'd sit there on Facebook and on the phone and hear about them starting all these companies and doing all these dynamic things," recalled Kapadia, 25, who was born in India but grew up in the United States. "And I started feeling that my 9-to-5 wasn't good enough anymore."

Last year, he quit his job and moved to Mumbai.

In growing numbers, highly educated children of immigrants to the US are uprooting themselves and moving to their ancestral countries, experts say. They are embracing homelands that their parents once spurned but that are now economic powers

Some, like Kapadia, had arrived in the US as young children, becoming citizens, while others were born in the US to immigrant parents.

Enterprising Americans have always sought opportunities abroad. But this new wave underscores the evolving nature of global migration, which is presenting challenges to US supremacy and competitiveness.

In interviews, many of these Americans said they did not know how long they would live abroad; some said it was possible they would remain expatriates for many years, if not for the rest of their lives. Their decisions to leave have, in many cases, troubled their immigrant parents. Yet most said they had been pushed by the dismal hiring climate in the US or pulled by prospects abroad.

"Markets are opening, people are coming up with ideas every day, there's so much opportunity to mold and create," said Kapadia, now a researcher at Gateway House, a new foreign-policy research organisation in Mumbai. "People here are running much faster than those in Washington."

For generations, the world's less-developed countries have suffered brain drain - the flight of many of their best and brightest to the West. That, of course, has not stopped. But now, a reverse flow has begun, particularly to countries like China and India and, to a lesser extent, Brazil and Russia. Some scholars and business leaders contend that this emigration does not necessarily bode ill for the US.

They say young entrepreneurs and highly educated professionals sow American knowledge and skills abroad. At the same time, these workers acquire experience abroad and build networks that they can carry back to the US or elsewhere - a pattern known as "brain circulation."

But the experts caution that in the global race for talent, the return of these expatriates to the US and US companies is no longer a sure bet.

"These are the fleet-footed, they're the ones who in a sense will follow opportunity," said Demetrios G Papademetriou, president of the Migration Policy Institute, a non-profit group in Washington that studies population movements.

"I know there will be people who will argue all about loyalty, etc, etc," Papademetriou said. "I know when you go to war, loyalty matters. But this is a different kind of war that affects all of us."

The US government does not collect data on the emigration of US-born children of immigrants, or on those who were born abroad but moved to the country as young children. But several migration experts said the phenomenon was significant and increasing.

"We've gone way beyond anecdotal evidence," said Edward JW Park, director of the Asian Pacific American Studies Program at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. He pointed out that this migration was spurred by the efforts of some overseas governments to attract more foreign talent by offering employment, investment, tax and visa incentives.

"So it's not just the individuals who are making these decisions," he said. "It's governments who enact strategic policies to facilitate this."

Officials in India said they had seen a sharp increase in the arrival of people of Indian descent in recent years, including at least 100,000 in 2010 alone, said Alwyn Didar Singh, a former senior official at the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Many of these Americans have been able to leverage family networks, language skills and cultural knowledge gleaned from growing up in immigrant households.

Jonathan Assayag, 29, a Brazilian-American born in Rio de Janeiro and raised in South Florida, returned to Brazil last year. A Harvard Business School graduate, he had been working at an Internet company in Silicon Valley and unsuccessfully trying to develop a business.

"I spent five months spending my weekends at Starbucks, trying to figure out a startup in America," he recalled.

All the while, friends from Harvard urged him to make a change. "They were saying: 'Jon, what are you doing? Go to Brazil and start a business there!"' he said.

Last year, he relocated to Sao Paulo and became an "entrepreneur in residence" at a leading Brazilian venture capital firm. He is now starting an online eyewear business.

"I speak the language, I get the culture, I understand how people do business," he said.

Calvin Chin was a Chinese-American entrepreneur born in Michigan and used to live in San Francisco, where he worked at technology startups and his wife was an interior decorator.

Chin's mother was from China, as were his paternal grandparents. His wife's parents were from Taiwan. They are now in Shanghai, where Chin has started two companies - an online loan service for students and an incubator for technology startups. His wife, Angie Wu, has worked as a columnist and television anchor, and they have two young children.

"The energy here is phenomenal," Chin said.

Reetu Jain, 36, an Indian-American raised in Texas, was inspired to move to India while taking time off from her auditing job to travel abroad. Everywhere she went, she said, she met people returning to their countries of origin and feeling the "creative energy" in the developing world.

She and her husband, Nehal Sanghavi, an Indian-American lawyer, moved to Mumbai in January 2011. But instead of continuing in accounting, she switched professions. Embracing a long-held passion, she now works as a dance instructor and choreographer and has acted in television advertisements and a Bollywood film.

For many of these emigres, the decision to relocate has confounded - and even angered - their immigrant parents. When Jason Lee, who was born in Taiwan and raised in the US, told his parents during college that he wanted to visit Hong Kong, his father refused to pay for the plane ticket.

Gen-next of immigrants in US return home ; India, China to gain from reverse brain drain - The Economic Times

Unfortunately, we have to wait for two more years to get the leader capable enough to absorb this talent. India's 6 main metro cities can't take anymore pressure from constantly migrating people.

We need at least 10 new metros emerging from tier-2 cities.

Gen-next of immigrants in US return home ; India, China to gain from reverse brain drain

Samir Kapadia seemed to be on the rise in Washington, moving from an internship on Capitol Hill to jobs at a major foundation and a consulting firm. Yet his days, he felt, had become routine.

Meanwhile, friends and relatives in India, his native country, all in their early- to mid-20s, were telling him about their lives in the newly surging nation. One was creating an e-commerce business, another a public relations company, still others a magazine, a business incubator and a gossip and events website.

"I'd sit there on Facebook and on the phone and hear about them starting all these companies and doing all these dynamic things," recalled Kapadia, 25, who was born in India but grew up in the United States. "And I started feeling that my 9-to-5 wasn't good enough anymore."

Last year, he quit his job and moved to Mumbai.

In growing numbers, highly educated children of immigrants to the US are uprooting themselves and moving to their ancestral countries, experts say. They are embracing homelands that their parents once spurned but that are now economic powers

Some, like Kapadia, had arrived in the US as young children, becoming citizens, while others were born in the US to immigrant parents.

Enterprising Americans have always sought opportunities abroad. But this new wave underscores the evolving nature of global migration, which is presenting challenges to US supremacy and competitiveness.

In interviews, many of these Americans said they did not know how long they would live abroad; some said it was possible they would remain expatriates for many years, if not for the rest of their lives. Their decisions to leave have, in many cases, troubled their immigrant parents. Yet most said they had been pushed by the dismal hiring climate in the US or pulled by prospects abroad.

"Markets are opening, people are coming up with ideas every day, there's so much opportunity to mold and create," said Kapadia, now a researcher at Gateway House, a new foreign-policy research organisation in Mumbai. "People here are running much faster than those in Washington."

For generations, the world's less-developed countries have suffered brain drain - the flight of many of their best and brightest to the West. That, of course, has not stopped. But now, a reverse flow has begun, particularly to countries like China and India and, to a lesser extent, Brazil and Russia. Some scholars and business leaders contend that this emigration does not necessarily bode ill for the US.

They say young entrepreneurs and highly educated professionals sow American knowledge and skills abroad. At the same time, these workers acquire experience abroad and build networks that they can carry back to the US or elsewhere - a pattern known as "brain circulation."

But the experts caution that in the global race for talent, the return of these expatriates to the US and US companies is no longer a sure bet.

"These are the fleet-footed, they're the ones who in a sense will follow opportunity," said Demetrios G Papademetriou, president of the Migration Policy Institute, a non-profit group in Washington that studies population movements.

"I know there will be people who will argue all about loyalty, etc, etc," Papademetriou said. "I know when you go to war, loyalty matters. But this is a different kind of war that affects all of us."

The US government does not collect data on the emigration of US-born children of immigrants, or on those who were born abroad but moved to the country as young children. But several migration experts said the phenomenon was significant and increasing.

"We've gone way beyond anecdotal evidence," said Edward JW Park, director of the Asian Pacific American Studies Program at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. He pointed out that this migration was spurred by the efforts of some overseas governments to attract more foreign talent by offering employment, investment, tax and visa incentives.

"So it's not just the individuals who are making these decisions," he said. "It's governments who enact strategic policies to facilitate this."

Officials in India said they had seen a sharp increase in the arrival of people of Indian descent in recent years, including at least 100,000 in 2010 alone, said Alwyn Didar Singh, a former senior official at the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Many of these Americans have been able to leverage family networks, language skills and cultural knowledge gleaned from growing up in immigrant households.

Jonathan Assayag, 29, a Brazilian-American born in Rio de Janeiro and raised in South Florida, returned to Brazil last year. A Harvard Business School graduate, he had been working at an Internet company in Silicon Valley and unsuccessfully trying to develop a business.

"I spent five months spending my weekends at Starbucks, trying to figure out a startup in America," he recalled.

All the while, friends from Harvard urged him to make a change. "They were saying: 'Jon, what are you doing? Go to Brazil and start a business there!"' he said.

Last year, he relocated to Sao Paulo and became an "entrepreneur in residence" at a leading Brazilian venture capital firm. He is now starting an online eyewear business.

"I speak the language, I get the culture, I understand how people do business," he said.

Calvin Chin was a Chinese-American entrepreneur born in Michigan and used to live in San Francisco, where he worked at technology startups and his wife was an interior decorator.

Chin's mother was from China, as were his paternal grandparents. His wife's parents were from Taiwan. They are now in Shanghai, where Chin has started two companies - an online loan service for students and an incubator for technology startups. His wife, Angie Wu, has worked as a columnist and television anchor, and they have two young children.

"The energy here is phenomenal," Chin said.

Reetu Jain, 36, an Indian-American raised in Texas, was inspired to move to India while taking time off from her auditing job to travel abroad. Everywhere she went, she said, she met people returning to their countries of origin and feeling the "creative energy" in the developing world.

She and her husband, Nehal Sanghavi, an Indian-American lawyer, moved to Mumbai in January 2011. But instead of continuing in accounting, she switched professions. Embracing a long-held passion, she now works as a dance instructor and choreographer and has acted in television advertisements and a Bollywood film.

For many of these emigres, the decision to relocate has confounded - and even angered - their immigrant parents. When Jason Lee, who was born in Taiwan and raised in the US, told his parents during college that he wanted to visit Hong Kong, his father refused to pay for the plane ticket.

Gen-next of immigrants in US return home ; India, China to gain from reverse brain drain - The Economic Times

One day I said, attacks on the Indian origins in US/ UK/ Australia and in other western countries started since 2008, it was the time when Indian professionals started coming back to India. And I made a point, “No US’s green card or permanent visa of Australia/ UK/ Canada is offered for charity. Being falling under certain ‘skill categories’, mainly to those after a Master of Engineering level degree from these countries itself, then they are offered these key visas which are intended to keep these highly qualified people within US. It was a strategy of US till 90s to keep masters level engineering qualified people within US by offering green card, if someone have got a master of engineering type degree from a US’s universities and have studied what is taught in a technological institute of US. And if these highly qualified people start having 7-8 years of experience and go back to their home countries then what technologies the US will be left with?” :what:

technologies are meant by those professionals who work for high tech companies. Every tech has to be improved by passage of time and it’s the top class professionals who get this done. as how under high school pass people of US/ UK/ Australia/ Canada type countries will develop technologies? And those who made technologies for US’s firms, after studying a master level degree from a US’s institute itself, and if these professionals go back to their home countries after 7 to 10 years of experience in their field while working in US/ West, they may do the same for their home companies also. :meeting:

I had made a clear statement that ‘Hate Crimes’ started against the Indian professionals in West during 2009/ 10 was because of the new trend of reverse flow of brains from US/ West to India. US/ West won’t feel that bad if a professional migrate there as compare to the case when a highly qualified professional may then back to their home country after 7-8 years of ‘fit’ experience from US, with a master level engineering degree from US's institute also. What I mean to say, if all the professionals of US suddenly back to India then they will have made Indian companies exactly same as US’s firms they work for. Almost 100% professionals/ technical experts working for the US’s top firms like MicroSoft are migrants and among those who are ranked highest are mainly Indian origins. They are the ‘creamy layer’ of their society who work for US/ Western firms. And if they all will back to their home countries, US will then be dragged into a type of recession which will level them with the country like Congo/ Afghan, big land but low population, without any credibility or proper education background. Countries like US/ UK/ Canada/ Australia are made by under high school pass people only and their credibility is because of highly qualified migrants only and if they back to their home countries, these Western countries will have lost their credibilities :wave:

Unfortunately, we have to wait for two more years to get the leader capable enough to absorb this talent. India's 6 main metro cities can't take anymore pressure from constantly migrating people.

We need at least 10 new metros emerging from tier-2 cities.

US is a strong economy and have big budget to spend then its because they have those companies and middle class people there who pay taxes to their government, generating revenue for their government. And if the big US’s firms like NASA, GE, GM, MS, Defence sectors etc employ local labors/ office people then their half of the management team and over 95% of professional team/ technical experts are migrants, and Indian highly qualified people are among those who perform the best among them. I have given example of international exams of MBA/ engineering like GMAT/ GRE, have a look on the level of score Indian professionals have and compare with rest of the world. here, even if few US's universities could score above 700 mark then its because of those migrant students who got admission there under scholarship programs.

Global 200 Top Business Schools 2010 by Region | TOPMBA

Its the highly qualified migrants of US, why US’s companies have high tech products which they sell in whole world including in India and earn profits and then pay taxes to their government and employ local labors/ office people there. And what is said in Australia, ‘migrants create jobs’ as in absense of just 4-5 engineering professionals, over 50 technicians and 200 labors remain unemployed. All those Australian born labors who pays taxes to their government, get jobs because of ‘skill migrants’ who help fill the skill shortage of the country like US/ UK/ Australia/ Canada. It’s the highly qualified people why these countries are categorized as developed countries and the time they will lose these highly qualified people, they will have lost their credibilities. We need top class professionals to make improvements in the existing technologies on time to time and to have new techs also, which is not expected from under high school pass population of the country like US/ UK/ Australia/ Canada etc. losing these highly qualified people will bring these countries to the level of countries like Congo/ Afghan who are also made of either illitartes or under high school pass people :pop:

The Australian Industry Group/Deloitte CEO survey shows skills shortages are again looming large as a major risk for business, and pose real problems for companies in terms of production and service delivery. This situation is forecast to intensify and businesses are working hard to mitigate the risks.

The survey, Skills shortages: A high risk business, which involved more than 400 companies of all sizes, found that more than one-third (34.7%) of businesses believe there is a high to extreme risk of skills shortages negatively impacting on the operation of their businesses this year. This level of concern increases to almost half of all companies (47.5%) by 2015.

Skills shortage biggest threat to Australia’s growth: survey

Take this mostly with a pinch of salt. Most of these "immigrants" (in case of India) are temporarily re-locating to India to gain work experience. While some may definitely form start ups many of them return back, and a lot is due to the quality of life difference between India and the western world.

US attracts and retains the best talents simply because it honors and respects it, whereas such is not true for India. When you don't have a govt. Promoting growth and assisting start ups these "entrepreneurs" seldom see much of a reason to stay back after a while.

People who have the skills and drive to be entrepreneurs will do it in the US itself, given the 15 trillion dollar market. The ones who run off half a world away are the ones who can't make it in the super-competitive US environment.

Its an asian century, people will come back searching their roots and peace.

Asian century is over rated my man..... It is very much China's time to rise, and US will remain stable or grow somewhat...

India so far has just been an overhyped marketing campaign by people wanting to pitch it against China's rise.

As much as I would love to see India excel, truth is it is nowhere near China/Taiwan/Korea he'll even Singapore, Philippines and Iran in terms of domestic capability for hi-tech industries. All it is, is a land of over a billion people and it's just this number that is making it grow on minimal effort. We need to put in a lot more effort and much faster if we want to even think of catching up with rest of Asia.

The only real hope I have is from DMIC, rest is just nothing impressive.

People who have the skills and drive to be entrepreneurs will do it in the US itself, given the 15 trillion dollar market. The ones who run off half a world away are the ones who can't make it in the super-competitive US environment.

I am sorry, I have a degree from Harvard. I could have easily made good in America but I thought I would do even better in India. I don't regret it one bit. Now stop talking out of your a$$.

Even if US is $15 trillion dollar market yet it is growing at 1-2%, anyone with more skills would rather want to take chances in a market growing 8-10% than in an already developed country. Look at American company Ford, it is building a billion dollar factory in India not in America. Obviously they also know about 15 trillion dollar American economy.

I am sorry, I have a degree from Harvard. I could have easily made good in America but I thought I would do even better in India. I don't regret it one bit. Now stop talking out of your a$$.

Not fair IMO, I have friends in US who have graduated from Harvard and 3years now, and they are working the real estate market. An ivy league degree doesn't guarantee much these days. Anyways it's good you have brought your hard earned skills back home,hope you succeed and do well for the nation.

Not fair IMO, I have friends in US who have graduated from Harvard and 3years now, and they are working the real estate market. An ivy league degree doesn't guarantee much these days. Anyways it's good you have brought your hard earned skills back home,hope you succeed and do well for the nation.

Its even unfair of him to just brush aside the people who are moving back to India as someone who cannot do well in America. I am sorry that you approve it which is just absurd.

Its even unfair of him to just brush aside the people who are moving back to India as someone who cannot do well in America. I am sorry that you approve it which is ignoramus.

I think he was referring more to US citizens than students going there to study, but I'll leave it to him/her to make his point further.

And I agree with him if he his talking about Americans.

Even if US is $15 trillion dollar market yet it is growing at 1-2%, anyone with more skills would rather want to take chances in a market growing 8-10% than in an already developed country.

Most people who start a company want to make money today or next year, not 50 years from now when India (maybe) overtakes American GDP.

Look at American company Ford, it is building a billion dollar factory in India not in America. Obviously they also know about 15 trillion dollar American economy.

Ford is already established worldwide. We are talking about start-ups.

I think he was referring more to US citizens than students going there to study, but I'll leave it to him/her to make his point further.

And I agree with him if he his talking about Americans.

Absolutely. The article talks about US citizens.

Reverse Brain Drain eh?
I dont think much would come back even if they r racially abused else where......
Cheap Money...$$$$$$:lol:

sir, ROI in the emerging markets like India, China, ASEAN is much higher than developed countries as developed countries would hardly achieve 0% to 1.5% growth rate for next 10 years, if they may avoid a 'very likely' recession withing just 5 to 10 years from now, otherwise it will be worse in case of recession. while on the other hand India would achieve at least over 7% growth by next 15 years as Indian economy is made of internal demands, not dependent on the external demands to the extent of China+ASEAN. We find, ‘Indian Rupees-dollar’ value almost at the same level it had in 2002, 1$=50 rupees, and it is still maintained at the same level after 10 years and even if you deposite your money in an Indian bank, you may earn over 10% interests while in Australia it was the maximum of 4% only and in US/ EU is lesser? Its just foolish now to keep money in the developed market as even if you buy a property in a growing economy like India, you would get a handsome return after 8 – 10 years while you can’t expect the same in US/ West. There is no real ROI in the today’s developed economies. :no:

While the main threat US/ EU has from China by next 5 to 6 years as marchedise export of China is already $1.9tn by 2011 and if China gained on export since late 90s by taking business of ASEAN+India then from now onwards, gain in export of China will come on the expanse of that of OECD economies. It is still a question, how will the Western companies face competition from the Chinese high tech but low cost products in future while in a normal business enviornment, just 15% price difference in enough to lose business to the competitors? A country like Britain has the export level maintained at around $450bl to $500bil for last 5 years while that of China grew by over 20% per year during the same period. And a developed country like UK which has no natural resources and even food they import to an extent. UK/US can’t live with under valued currency and over valued currency can’t help their industries which have already been shifted to China by a large extent. The time US+EU won’t be able to export as much that they may import energy/ food/ cloths etc, they will face a sudden fall in their currency which would encourage their investors to move their investments to safe hevan like BRICS/ E7, if the current woe of recession in US+EU continue as it is. Even if the world may face any sudden recession due to any war in gulf, are their economies strong enough to pay for the higher oil prices? :disagree: Just wait for 5-6 years and let the China’s export go above $4.0tn mark, within 4-5 years from now as expected, and see how many changes we will see that time. The already dieing Western companies due to higher labor cost in Western nations just can’t stand in front of China’s high tech but low cost products and a type of rush to move their industries to BRICS will be seen within just 5-6 years from now. just be with me and see how things go :tup:

What I have said, a country like Britain is 'destined' to be categorised with the medium sized economies like Egupt, Nigeria, Pakistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Argentina etc within next 5 to 15 years from now. and the champions of UK/ US/ West have to do something which may change their ‘destiny’, to avoid this ‘inevitable’ change. How will they do, we all are excited to see :smokin:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom