What's new

GAZAL-1 The first Saudi Made car

What's wrong with people here?

The Saudis are not claiming to be automotive leaders. This was a first step in learning to design a car, so there is no harm in using existing experts (studiotorino) as mentors. Over time, the Saudi team will become self-sufficient. Also, they are using the Austrian company for manufacturing because KSA doesn't have production facilities yet. It's a matter of economics -- local facilities will be built once the production numbers warrant it.

Then where have you been living this past decade?? With non-Oil economy growing by a factor of 1500% this past 10 years with dependence on Oil reduced from 92% to 77% in 2011. That while counting the huge increase in Oil price as well.

10 years? This should have started when they were forced to back down during the oil crisis. Better late than never and i commend the new breed of protecting the future interests of the country.

10 years? This should have started when they were forced to back down during the oil crisis. Better late than never and i commend the new breed of protecting the future interests of the country.

Multiple factors caused this lag that was mostly out of our hand but we do take blame for it on a considerable level. However the way we are going won't be long before we are a fully industrialized nation.

Multiple factors caused this lag that was mostly out of our hand but we do take blame for it on a considerable level. However the way we are going won't be long before we are a fully industrialized nation.

Looks like you guys are definitely on the right track. Kudos.

Thats the one part that aint :(

But its engine have been reversed engineered so probably by the time it comes out it will have a Saudi Engine.

The engine will be Saudi made and designed according to the chairman of the project scientific team, Saed Darweesh:
وعن المكون المحلي المستخدم في صناعة السيارة الاقتصادية، قال درويش "إن المحرك سيكون ذا تصميم وإنتاج سعودي عن طريق نقل التقنية والعمل على إنتاج سلسلة محركات يمكن أن تعمل في داخل أي طراز مستقبلي"، وتم في المرحلة الأولى من غزال توفير تقنية تصنيع السيارات وفي المرحلة الثانية سيتم توفير تقنية تصنيع المحركات وهو ما سيفتح آفاق صناعات كثيرة مستقبلاً.

Google translation:

And the local component used in the manufacture of economy car, Darwish said, "The engine will be of the design and production of Saudi through the transfer of technology and work to produce a series engines can operate within any model future", was in the first phase of the Gazelle provide technical manufacturing cars in the stage the second will be to provide technical manufacturing engines, which will open the prospects for many industries in the future.
"

don't get your hopes up
the austrian company only has a contract for 20K cars.

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

what did you refute exactly? the car is designed and produced in Austria. The parts get shipped in to saudi and get assembled by foreign workers, working under North American and European project managers, all under the roof of a factory made by a western company.

What happens when a king asks students at his university to build an off-road vehicle for him? A Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen rebodied to look like a super-sized Mahindra, from the look of the KSU Gazal-1 (named for the local gazelles that bound across the Saudi landscape). Developed with assistance from Magna-Steyr (the company that assembles the G-Class in Austria), the students at King Saud University were tasked with “combining a natural ability for extreme off-road driving with comfortable urban and suburban road use.”

After selecting the G-Wagen as the basis, the students were allowed total freedom to redesign the entire bodywork, but according to the press materials, they decided to avoid “fashionable trends in favor of a timeless style.” All righty, then. The bodywork is said to be made of carbon fiber, but the representative says that after necessary reinforcements it weighs the same as the original steel G550. One of the goals was to “promote the culture of the auto industry and train young engineers.” We’re not convinced this project has instilled all the right lessons...

Read more: King Saud University Gazal-1 Based on Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen - Auto Show News - Truck Trend

Yeah as suspected its a Mercedes with lipstick on.:lol:

I swear, I can see the smoke up your heads. :lol:

Don't know much about cars as i don't have any :P but it look like a 70's car relaunched in 2012.

Cool !

now, next it should be made essential for all Gov to use Ghazal.
Thus giving a helping hand to economy, and to local talent.

I swear, I can see the smoke up your heads. :lol:
This thread's still alive? This Austrian car is so last century. People are producing cars by the millions, you're popping a load over an Austrian car assembled in arabia. And then when people confront you, you become defensive.

I protest

such a beautiful name, I was expecting a coupe or family car. Gazal means a deer in Urdu and used in poetry as well
thats the only bases for my protest.:frown:

what I saw instead was a Masculine SUV.
for that I must congratulate. :yahoo:

I protest

such a beautiful name, I was expecting a coupe or family car. Gazal means a deer in Urdu and used in poetry as well
thats the only bases for my protest.:frown:

what I saw instead was a Masculine SUV.
for that I must congratulate. :yahoo:

The car's name is Gazal-1. As the brand name will be Gazal which will include SUVs, Sedans and sport cars in the future.

And Gazal means the same in Arabic as in Urdu by the way :)

Nice to see Saudi Arabia is moving in right direction. First learning experience from 4.5 gen fighters and now for cars.
Also there are rumors for German tanks with TOT.
Great planning.

Congrats guys! Actually a pretty decent looking SUV (minus the color. For god's sake, paint it steel grey or black!).

BTW, what's the cost in the local market?

Back
Top Bottom