What's new

Gaza-Israel Conflict | October 2023

'The mood in Israel is as grim as I have ever seen it': Israeli author

Journalist and author Matti Friedman has told Sky News the mood in his country is as grim as he has ever seen it.

People in the country are having a "loss of faith" after so many institutions they depend on to keep safe were caught off guard by the Hamas attack, he said.

He added that people who remember the Yom Kippur War of 1973 say it is worse in some ways because most of the dead in this case are civilians.

He said: "There is barely a community in Israel that hasn't been touched by the tragedy.

"There are several layers on which people have been shaken. Firstly personal, most people know someone who was killed by Hamas on 7 October.

lcimg-0a3ce204-24f6-45cb-9540-b575693b33d7.png

"I took my two 16-year-old sons to a funeral, the funeral of a kid they knew. I had to explain to my seven-year-old why we're running in and out of the safe room.

"My daughter who is 12 has a classmate who was killed and my best friends cousin was also killed. So their is a lot of grief in the country.

"The second layer is that many of us feel let down by institutions that we trust like the army, which we think of as dependable, was asleep and caught off guard.

"The government of Israel failed, failed at its most important duty of keeping us safe.

"Because we live in such a perilous region we depend on these systems so much to keep us safe. The loss of faith is very deep in the country and very real."

Realistically, who would want to keep their
company and assets in israel after this? You’re not really safe anywhere with rockets routinely landing. The psychological effect the Hamas operation had on everyday people in Israel is staggering. If I was an investor why in the world would I invest in a warzone?

When we take a deeper look at Hamas' founding, its ideological roots, the people and events to which it attaches importance, the lack of reaction in rich Arab countries makes more sense. I don't intend to return to theoretical discussions while the war is going on and the organization called Israel is carrying out a genocide, but I want to give a very simple example: who is Izz ad-Din al-Qassam, the name of special operations part of Hamas, and I think anyone who doesn't know who he is should do a deep research on his life and his struggle. He was an Arab religious scholar and preacher (may Allah be pleased with him) who was the first to mobilize for Palestine under the British Mandate to become an independent and Islamic country. But is that all? In 1911 he waged jihad against the Italian invasion of Libya together with Turkish officers, including Ataturk, who would later fight for the independence of Turkiye. He fought jihad in the Ottoman army for the defense of Damascus and Syria. Till en of his life, He strongly opposed the purchase or occupation of Palestinian land by Jewish settlers.

Al-Qassam's armed struggle disturbed Britain, which supported the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. In 1935, while traveling in the area, al-Qassam was surrounded and killed by 500 British soldiers. Today, 88 years later, the brigade that upholds his idea and was founded in his name is again besieged and trying to killing by a far stronger anti-Palestine alliance. 88 years ago, those who allied with the west against Al-Qassam are today hesitating or unable to come out of the same alliance.

When we take a deeper look at Hamas' founding, its ideological roots, the people and events to which it attaches importance, the lack of reaction in rich Arab countries makes more sense. I don't intend to return to theoretical discussions while the war is going on and the organization called Israel is carrying out a genocide, but I want to give a very simple example: who is Izz ad-Din al-Qassam, the name of special operations part of Hamas, and I think anyone who doesn't know who he is should do a deep research on his life and his struggle. He was an Arab religious scholar and preacher (may Allah be pleased with him) who was the first to mobilize for Palestine under the British Mandate to become an independent and Islamic country. But is that all? In 1911 he waged jihad against the Italian invasion of Libya together with Turkish officers, including Ataturk, who would later fight for the independence of Turkiye. He fought jihad in the Ottoman army for the defense of Damascus and Syria. Till en of his life, He strongly opposed the purchase or occupation of Palestinian land by Jewish settlers.

Al-Qassam's armed struggle disturbed Britain, which supported the establishment of a Jewish state in Palestine. In 1935, while traveling in the area, al-Qassam was surrounded and killed by 500 British soldiers. Today, 88 years later, the brigade that upholds his idea and was founded in his name is again besieged and trying to killing by a far stronger anti-Palestine alliance. 88 years ago, those who allied with the west against Al-Qassam are today hesitating or unable to come out of the same alliance.
Thank you for sharing this powerful story and followed analogy.

Judge Neopolitan's You Tube channel rose because of his early opposition to the Ukraine War and now he is challenging the narrative about the Israel-Palestinian conflict. In this video, he has a former CIA Analyst Larry Johnson, who gives blunt assessment of the conflict--no rosy words for Israel! While the whole interview is worth watching, a few points:
1) US Aircraft Carriers deployed in the eastern Med. Sea is a significant diversion of American resources (music to China's ears).
2) Americans removed the 101 Airborne Div. from Romania to Jordan and even deployed some F16 to the Middle East (music to Putin's ears).
3) Zelensky is finished.
4) American Carriers are very vulnerable to hypersonic missiles.
5) The rage in the Muslim world can spill over to this conflict--he specifically mentioned places like Peshawar, Pakistan where 'huge numbers' of people are protesting against Israel.
6) And quite curiously, toward the end, he said Americans are not going to die for Israel and he even mentioned the National Guards in America have used 'anti-Semitic' words to say they are not going to die for Israel. BTW, Larry also equates most of the Israeli Reservists with the National Guards--not real soldiers.

I don't think I have thought of Israel's prospects as low as they appear now!!
This attack is devastating as it exposes them as an inefficient army incapable of holding its own despite having unlimited military aid and being financed by the west. A lot like the Afghan National Army. Of course they can beat Gaza, but a several front war, against mulitple non state actors and they would either collapse or allow the non state actors to devastate Israel.

Everybody can see this. I mean look at that captured good looking lady on the video before, she's probably a reservist of some kind and look at how skinny her arms are. she could not even fire anything larger than an air-rfle.

This citizen army concept works in places like Russia where the average woman would kick your arse. But doesnt work in a country full of bookworms and skinny nerds with glasses.

I did not expect that Israel needs direct US military intervention to handle a situation in my lifetime.

Interesting, didnt know that part of the history

Back
Top Bottom