What's new

fusion reactor Wendelstein X-7 will go online this fall

MarkusS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The Wendelstein X-7 reactor is the currently most advanced reactor design and so far the first one which will provide a stable fusion and energey output. It is buidl in Greifswald from our Max Planck Institute and works with the stellerator design.

Wendelstein 7-X is mainly a toroid, consisting of 50 non-planar and 20 planar superconducting magnetic coils, 3.5 m high, which induce a magnetic field that prevents the plasma from colliding with the reactor walls. The 50 non-planar coils are used for adjusting the magnetic field.

The main components are the magnetic coils, cryostat, plasma vessel, divertor and heating systems.

The coils are arranged around a heat insulating cladding which is 16 meters in diameter called the cryostat. A cooling device produces enough liquid helium to carry away 5,000 watts of heating power to cool down the magnets and their enclosure (about 425 metric tons) to superconductivity temperature. The plasma vessel, built of 20 parts, is on the inside, adjusted to the complex shape of the magnetic field. It has 299 holes for plasma heating and observation diagnostics. The whole plant is built of 5 almost identical modules, which are assembled in the experiment hall.

The heating system includes 10 megawatts of microwaves, for up to 10 seconds, and can deliver 1 megawatt for 50 seconds during operational phase 1 (OP-1). For operational phase 2 (OP-2), after completion of the full armor/water-cooling, up to 8 megawatts of neutral beam injection will also be available for 10 seconds, while the microwave system will be extended to true steady state (30 minutes).

Wendelstein7-X_in-vessel_Dec2013.JPG

Wendelstein_7-X_Reaktorraum.jpg

You may wonder about the weird form of the reactor, it means the plasma will flow in a certain way through the reactor, hold in place with extremly powerful magnetic fields. The inner tube will be a vacuum and the hydrogen plasma will be heated on several million °C, thats the temperature of the center of the sun. Because of that the plasma is not allowed to touch the walls. The magnetic fields hold it away from the reactor walls:

W7X-Spulen_Plasma_blau_gelb.jpg

Wendelstein-X7 is the first really realistic Fusion reactor concept which will allow to gain more energy than what is needed to start the process. It will basicly allow humanity boundless amounts of energy. If we get fusion reactor running, entire germany could be powered with just one ton of hydrogen for an entire year.

It would change the world as we know it. Create boundless amounts of clean energy on earth but would also provide a energy scource which could be used on ships, spaceships and even bases on moon, mars and beyond.

The moderate size of Wendelstein-X7 would allow that system to be build on the proposed moon base from ESA.

As you see, the possibilities are endless.

The costs of the project are enormous, even for germany. 80% are paid from the research fund of our Science ministry.

Now that the building process is almost complete the system will go online in fall of this year and start operation in 2015. Kepp your thumps pressed. :D

This is immense, not just for Germany for all of mankind. Want this to be a success then we, mankind will have made a major leap forward in our evolution.

Last edited:
Germany is also involved in ITER, but Wendelstein X-7 is a project we do ourself. ITER is still years away from completion and our Wendelstein X-7 uses a different design and method, called stellerator. It basicly creates a star inside the reactor. The conditions inside the magnetic field are like nothing else on earth. Imagine this Plasma will be heated up to 10 million °C. Thats the same temperature as the core of the sun.

The task is enormous and that the Max Planck Institute does it shows, that this is one of the most complicated technological tasks ever conducted.

The Max Planck Institute is unique in its form worldwide. It binds basicly all german scientific institutes under one organisation and forms a scientific super organisation in germany that coordinates top priority projects.

Max Planck Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you go to their website you see some of their current projects and its crazy:

Homepage of the Max Planck Society

the space craft rosetta, the Wendelstein X-7 reactor, tests in the arctic and so on. It works in all fields on the highest problems together with german / european state organisations like ESA or DLR or private / party private organisations like Airbus. It also helps foreign partners like NASA. The Max Planck Institute build many instruments of the Mars Rovers as well as the Titan spaceprobe Huygens.

So, update....dates are ofcourse arbitrary in such complex projects :tongue: Fall 2014 from OP has been set back to winter 2015.
The assertions of it being able to be somehow constructed on the Moon are LOL-ish! But visionary none-the-less!

Price tag: 1bill. €'s.

1445868229-fusiontop.gif

After 1.1 million construction hours, the Greifswald institute finished the machine in May 2014 and spent the past year carrying out commissioning checks, which W7-X passed without a hitch. Tests with electron beams show that the magnetic field in the still-empty reactor is the right shape. “Everything looks, to an extremely high accuracy, exactly as it should,” IPP's Thomas Sunn Pedersen says.

Germany is turning on its monster stellarator - Business Insider

Twisted logic

Last edited:
Okay, guys....let me say this is a R&D project, we all love R&D but let's not exaggerate.

The inner tube will be a vacuum and the hydrogen plasma will be heated on several million °C, thats the temperature of the center of the sun.

Several Million, °C in Greifswald will melt away Berlin and Hamburg.

Heat is transferred by 3 methods, conduction, convection and radiation. Being in the vacuum only nullifies the first 2, it doesn't prevents radiation. This is obviously not true and made up by you.

Wendelstein-X7 is the first really realistic Fusion reactor concept which will allow to gain more energy than what is needed to start the process. It will basicly allow humanity boundless amounts of energy. If we get fusion reactor running, entire germany could be powered with just one ton of hydrogen for an entire year.
Yeah, yeah....we can use google, wiki, no need to exaggerate things.... he is the true version of 7-X

Wendelstein 7-X is an experimental stellarator (nuclear fusion reactor) built in Greifswald, Germany by the Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik (IPP), and completed in October 2015. It is a further development ofWendelstein 7-AS. The purpose of Wendelstein 7-X is to evaluate the main components of a future fusion reactor built using stellarator technology, even if Wendelstein 7-X itself is not an economical fusion power plant.

Now, don't come with me like "Your country doesn't build even a fission power plant, blah, blah".....I'm not belittling this development made by Germans. It is way step forward.

I'm just saying, you are exaggerating, making things up, telling people lies.

Okay, guys....let me say this is a R&D project, we all love R&D but let's not exaggerate.

Several Million, °C in Greifswald will melt away Berlin and Hamburg.

Heat is transferred by 3 methods, conduction, convection and radiation. Being in the vacuum only nullifies the first 2, it doesn't prevents radiation. This is obviously not true and made up by you.

Yeah, yeah....we can use google, wiki, no need to exaggerate things.... he is the true version of 7-X

Wendelstein 7-X is an experimental stellarator (nuclear fusion reactor) built in Greifswald, Germany by the Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik (IPP), and completed in October 2015. It is a further development ofWendelstein 7-AS. The purpose of Wendelstein 7-X is to evaluate the main components of a future fusion reactor built using stellarator technology, even if Wendelstein 7-X itself is not an economical fusion power plant.

Now, don't come with me like "Your country doesn't build even a fission power plant, blah, blah".....I'm not belittling this development made by Germans. It is way step forward.

I'm just saying, you are exaggerating, making things up, telling people lies.

I say you should stay at Kebap and leave science and technology to the societies who are best at it.

As for the Fusion aspect. You can only achieve fusion through enormous temperatur or enormous pressure. The pressure option is impossible to achieve. So the heat option is used. The interior temperatur is 100.000.000 °C. In words one hundred million °C

Kernfusionsforschung in Greifswald: Die 100-Millionen-Grad-Maschine - SPIEGEL ONLINE

The magnetic field holds the plasma away from the walls of the reactor and because of this the temperatur can be hold.

But for you:

1156014490.jpg

As you see the kebap is heated so the meat gets grilled but Mehmet stays intact.

From now on i will try to explain evry scientific thing in a Kebap example, so our turkish members can understand as well.

I say you should stay at Kebap and leave science and technology to the societies who are best at it.

As for the Fusion aspect. You can only achieve fusion through enormous temperatur or enormous pressure. The pressure option is impossible to achieve. So the heat option is used. The interior temperatur is 100.000.000 °C. In words one hundred million °C

Kernfusionsforschung in Greifswald: Die 100-Millionen-Grad-Maschine - SPIEGEL ONLINE

The magnetic field holds the plasma away from the walls of the reactor and because of this the temperatur can be hold.

But for you:

1156014490.jpg

As you see the kebap is heated so the meat gets grilled but Mehmet stays intact.

From now on i will try to explain evry scientific thing in a Kebap example, so our turkish members can understand as well.
First of all, hopefully we will make progress in this field since a huge clean energy source is exactly what we need to decrease the dependance on fossile energy.

Having said that, why are you being ridiculous instead of bringing counter arguments aginst his post? He quoted wiki article that states that even thought its a improvement against the previous versions its still not economical.

First of all, hopefully we will make progress in this field since a huge clean energy source is exactly what we need to decrease the dependance on fossile energy.

Having said that, why are you being ridiculous instead of bringing counter arguments aginst his post? He quoted wiki article that states that even thought its a improvement against the previous versions its still not economical.
his tabloid newspaper, is stupid like him. He once called the boiler in his house "a high tech machine", now he is trying to explain fusion......

Marcus, when you talk about science, you turn it into a comedy so just stop.

his tabloid newspaper, is stupid like him. He once called the boiler in his house "a high tech machine", now he is trying to explain fusion......

Marcus, when you talk about science, you turn it into a comedy so just stop.

Look my sinian friend...let me show you some science (aside from kebap).

And Stern is not a tabloid. I don´t debate such issues with a person that comes from a nation like turkey. A country that has as much scientific results as papua newguinea.

The basic fact is, that 100.000.000 °C are generated inside the machine. Btw the temperature at the LHC in geneva even reachs several billion °C at impact. What our sinian friend doesn´t understand is how small the amount of Plasma is and that it wuld lose its temperature within milli seconds if it touchs the walls of the machine. Thats why it is kept in a magnetic field.

The expected temperatur will be between 60.000.000 and 130.000.000 K

Wendelstein 7-X – Wikipedia

I honestly don´t know how i can break down this highly complex issue to a level that someone with a more primitive cultural background could understand it.

What does it change about the fact that the plasma is heated to several million ° K? Nobody said anything about it being economical.

And Stern is not a tabloid. I don´t debate such issues with a person that comes from a nation like turkey. A country that has as much scientific results as papua newguinea.

The basic fact is, that 100.000.000 °C are generated inside the machine. Btw the temperature at the LHC in geneva even reachs several billion °C at impact. What our sinian friend doesn´t understand is how small the amount of Plasma is and that it wuld lose its temperature within milli seconds if it touchs the walls of the machine. Thats why it is kept in a magnetic field.

I honestly don´t know how i can break down this highly complex issue to a level that someone with a more primitive cultural background could understand it.

As a person that knows nothing about the "Heat Transfer" and "Thermodynamics"... don't even bother. Your scientific back ground, is just not enough.

What does it change about the fact that the plasma is heated to several million ° K? Nobody said anything about it being economical.
You posted something about powering whole Germany once the reactor starts which is not true except you didnt mean X7 reactor but possible future ones.
The video you have shared also said that this Technology wont be ready in the next couple decades but if anything then around the middle of the century, too bad since we need new energy sources urgently.

Btw, keep racist slurs to yourself, lets have a civil discussion.

As a person that knows nothing about the "Heat Transfer" and "Thermodynamics"... don't even bother. Your scientific back ground, is just not enough.
As far as i have understood the Plasma that has the said temparature is being kept away from the walls of the reactor with a magnetic field, pretty much like how LHC keeps the particles on track while accelerating.

Last edited:
As far as i have understood the Plasma thats has the said temparature is being kept away from the walls of the reactor with a magnetic field, pretty much like how LHC keeps the particles on track while accelerating.

I understood as plasma is being kept away from the walls of reactor with a magnetic field. I'm failing to understand how magnetic field is going to keep the radiation of the plasma from reaching reactor walls.

@MarkusS , maybe i'm wrong, prove this phenomenon to me, i will apologize.

I understood as plasma is being kept away from the walls of reactor with a magnetic field. I'm failing to understand how magnetic field is going to keep the radiation of the plasma from reaching reactor walls.

@MarkusS , maybe i'm wrong, prove this phenomenon to me, i will apologize.
Hmm thats a good question, maybe it isnt a continuous plasma but for a very short time repeating periodically so the reactor walls dont reach a critical temparature?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom