What's new

Fund crunch delays IAF’s purchase plan

Agent_47

Reaction score
Country
India
While contacts for two additional airborne warning and control systems (AWACS) and a replacement of the C-130 that crashed are expected to be signed this fiscal, some key IAF procurements such as fighter aircraft, aerial refullers, and helicopters, and upgrade projects are likely to roll over to the next year due to paucity of funds.

Parliament’s Standing Committee of Defence, in its latest report, has listed out 10 contracts worth over Rs 6,728 crore that are unlikely to be signed this year. This includes procurement of 56 new aircraft to replace the ageing Avro transporter, 48 medium-lift helicopters, six mid-air refuelling tankers, 20 Hawk advance jet trainers and 38 Pilatus basic trainers.

The Indian Air Force’s wait for the much-needed KA-226 reconnaissance and surveillance helicopters, long-range surface-to-air missiles, engines for the Jaguar fighter, electronic warfare suite for the MiG 29 and avionics upgrade for IL-76/78 has also lengthened.

For the Rafale fighter jets, the procurement of which has been hanging for about a decade, a separate proposal will be moved for additional funds in 2016-17 to procure the 36 aircraft after details regarding cost and delivery timelines are finalised, the committee observed.

Among the eight contracts, valued at Rs 2,039 crore, that would hopefully be signed this year are AWACS, a C-130 special missions aircraft, 14 Akash anti-aircraft missile units, upgrade for medium helicopters, precision-guided munitions, recce pods for Su-30, armament suite for Dhruvs and radio sets.

This fiscal, the IAF is facing a shortfall of Rs 7,748 crore in its capital budget and of Rs 2,769 crore in revenue budget. The shortfall in capital allocations will slow down modernisation, delay induction of important capabilities, erode IAF’s superiority and result in asymmetry in capability with respect to envisaged threat perception and flight safety

The lower revenue allocation will impact procurement of spares and fuel, affect serviceability, and lead to shortfall in training, resulting in compromise of operational preparedness and expenditure for disaster relief operations.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/nation/fund-crunch-delays-iaf-s-purchase-plan/234521.html

I have one question thats mostly asked by novices...Forgive me for my ignorance. Why dont IAF induct only LRSAM instead of inducting all SRSAMs, MRSAMs and LRSAMs? Even for defence of Air Bases near the borders LRSAM would suffice as the location of the Air Bases are as such. Is it the high cost factor of LRSAM the main factor? But given the efficiency of LRSAM U shudnt really need multiple layers of defenses based on If part as its the mutiple platforms thats actually increasing the costs. Is is the assumption that If LRSAM misses a target then MRSAM would come into play and if MRSAM misses it then SRSAM? I dont think so.

For the Rafale fighter jets, the procurement of which has been hanging for about a decade, a separate proposal will be moved for additional funds in 2016-17 to procure the 36 aircraft after details regarding cost and delivery timelines are finalised, the committee observed.
Funds Already Wonder What taking them So Long ???

I have one question thats mostly asked by novices...Forgive me for my ignorance. Why dont IAF induct only LRSAM instead of inducting all SRSAMs, MRSAMs and LRSAMs? Even for defence of Air Bases near the borders LRSAM would suffice as the location of the Air Bases are as such. Is it the high cost factor of LRSAM the main factor? But given the efficiency of LRSAM U shudnt really need multiple layers of defenses based on If part as its the mutiple platforms thats actually increasing the costs. Is is the assumption that If LRSAM misses a target then MRSAM would come into play and if MRSAM misses it then SRSAM? I dont think so.
India Already Operates SRSAMs Likes Akash & SPYDER

Barak-8 Is comes In both LR/MR-SAM Category

Then There is LR Sam Above 150 Km Like
Barak-ER ,AAD ,S-400 Triumph,S-300VM

SAM+Comparisons.jpg

India Operates three Tier Of Air defense Cover that Includes BMD Protection Also In C4ISTAR Environment

Will we not increase our defence budget next year? I am sure as our economy expands so will the overall budget we have.

Modi govt increased it this year so why not again next year?

What kind of Idiot makes acquisition plans without taking into account the relevant Budget ? That is not called a "plan" , its called a dream.

Don't the IAF has a clear cut acquisition policy that is in line with its annual budget ?

India Operates three Tier Of Air defense Cover that Includes BMD Protection Also In C4ISTAR Environment

Actually my question was that why 3 tiers of Air Defense even needed when LRSAM esp likes of S-400 actually covers the scope of SRSAM and MRSAM and that too quite efficiently.

Will we not increase our defence budget next year? I am sure as our economy expands so will the overall budget we have.

Modi govt increased it this year so why not again next year?

As the budget increase so does the price of the weapons.

We have to run just to remain in the same place.

The average cost overrun for US is 1.6 % every year. Indians in our wisdom has a 10% increase every year.

As the budget increase so does the price of the weapons.

We have to run just to remain in the same place.

The average cost overrun for US is 1.6 % every year. Indians in our wisdom has a 10% increase every year.

They did fix the price for us on one big purchase I forgot what it was now, but isn't this the point of trying to rope in private sector in? try to invest more on R&D and buy components that are manufactured domestically.

Actually my question was that why 3 tiers of Air Defense even needed when LRSAM esp likes of S-400 actually covers the scope of SRSAM and MRSAM and that too quite efficiently.

S-400 is high end point defence, Spyder is MR they suit each other. Also what is going to be used to protect the S-400? it will be MR and also Akash batteries.

What if the fighter evades or Jams the LRSAM ?? Then one is screwed. ... having a three types would thicken the defence....making fighters very very difficult to penetrate.

What if the fighter evades or Jams the LRSAM ??

LRSMs are suppose to F-22s and F-35s of this modern era and hence so costly. If anyone can jam or evade LRSAM then MRSAM and SRSAM are no match for that evader.

LRSMs are suppose to F-22s and F-35s of this modern era and hence so costly. If anyone can jam or evade LRSAM then MRSAM and SRSAM are no match for that evader.

Of course they can jam or evade LRSAM or any other sams.... it's upto the skills of the pilots. .. what I'm stating is when the air defence is very thick its difficult to evade.... and as of now I don't think so there's any Sam deployed that could intercept a F22.... the story if Chinese intercepting F22 due to the reason F22 was not in full stealth mode...

They did fix the price for us on one big purchase I forgot what it was now, but isn't this the point of trying to rope in private sector in? try to invest more on R&D and buy components that are manufactured domestically.

Maybe you are talking about M777 ? but there is a price increase there too.

I agree with your philosophy of Make in India, but explain that to IAF who sneers on the LCA.

Dont know when this Deaf & inapt Govt will heed to urgent defense needs and start these acquisitions.

Is is the assumption that If LRSAM misses a target then MRSAM would come into play and if MRSAM misses it then SRSAM? I dont think so.

No. The enemy has a way of countering different SAMs using technology and maneuverability. The different kinds of SAM watch each others's backs. Like there may be a case where an aircraft is able to avoid LR and MR SAMs by flying very low, but it can be picked up by a SRSAM.

All these SAMs have different radars looking at different areas of the sky. LRSAM radars watch high altitude while SRSAMs watch low altitudes. Also, depending on the terrain, some types of SAMs become more important. Like SPYDER and Akash are more useful in mountains while S-400 is more effective in plains.

Cost, logistics etc also matter.

What kind of Idiot makes acquisition plans without taking into account the relevant Budget ? That is not called a "plan" , its called a dream.

Don't the IAF has a clear cut acquisition policy that is in line with its annual budget ?

Don't get swallowed up by the story title.

It's not a fund crunch, they have merely expended the budget for this year very early.

To answer this, India hasn't yet achieved the maturity necessary to combine all types of SAMs into one system like the S-400. Maybe in the future.

Why dont IAF induct only LRSAM instead of inducting all SRSAMs, MRSAMs and LRSAMs?

This arrangement is done to ensure that there are additional tiers of protection in case one is breached. It's also done to attack and defeat different classes of targets. Long-ranged missiles can hit AWACS aircraft or ELINT platforms loitering outside of an area of interest. Medium-range missiles for striking strike bombers and fighters, and short-range missiles for point-defense.

We see this tiered setup used with ship defense.

Long-range - SM-6 or SM-2
140619-N-ZZ999-167.jpg

Medium-range - ESSM
essm.jpg

close-range - RAM
USS_New_Orleans_(LPD-18)_launches_RIM-116_missile_2013.jpg

extreme close-rage - CWIS
Phalanx_CIWS_test_fire_-_081107-N-5416W-003.jpg

On some ships the CWIS is being replaced by a close-in missile system called SeaRAM
rtn_rms_product_searam_pic03.jpg

We also see this in ballistic missile defense.

Long-range - GBI
OBV_GBI_1.jpg

Medium-range - Thaad
THAAD.jpg

Short-range - PAC-2 and PAC-3 and Hawk.
mfc-pac-3-mse-photo-01-main-h.jpg

Different tiers to ensure all targets meet some resistance in case one tier is breached. Each tier is also used to target different classes of threats.

as of now I don't think so there's any Sam deployed that could intercept a F22

And you'd be wrong for thinking that. Naval air defense missiles and high-end land-based SAMs are capable of intercepting low signature aircraft like F-22.

It's not that they can or can't that's important though, but the range at which they can do it that matters more. Intercept too late, and your SAM battery or ships ends up a smoking wreck.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom