What's new

From Cadet to Generalship

GOD OF WAR

Reaction score
A certain strata of our society, is always quick to point out the 'lavish' luxeries allowed to 'jurnail' and describe it in the most pejorative stance. A similar trope is also often witnessed in writings of many journalists and critiques of the Army. Leaving aside that fact that their is an invisible war of wits going on, as Cicero had warned of many centuries ago to citizens... I thought it would be a good exercise to research a little about the ardous life that a Pakistan Armed Forces officer leads.... before and if he makes it to the generalship. My questions pertaining to the above discourse, for now are as follows.

Q1: How many postings, and border area years does an officer give before he becomes a general?

Q2: What percentage of officers make it to Staff College and hence Generalship?

Kind regards. god of war

A certain strata of our society, is always quick to point out the 'lavish' luxeries allowed to 'jurnail' and describe it in the most pejorative stance. A similar trope is also often witnessed in writings of many journalists and critiques of the Army. Leaving aside that fact that their is an invisible war of wits going on, as Cicero had warned of many centuries ago to citizens... I thought it would be a good exercise to research a little about the ardous life that a Pakistan Armed Forces officer leads.... before and if he makes it to the generalship. My questions pertaining to the above discourse, for now are as follows.

Q1: How many postings, and border area years does an officer give before he becomes a general?
For infantry minimum 60% of service, for rest atleast 50%.

Q2: What percentage of officers make it to Staff College and hence Generalship?
Each year about 300-350 officers get through the staff college. Do the math.

Xeric bro, can u elaborate on the average number of postings an army offcier takes? 60% tabulates to what in terms of number of year?
thanks

Xeric bro, can u elaborate on the average number of postings an army offcier takes? 60% tabulates to what in terms of number of year?
thanks
It is not the number of postings but the tenure spent in a hard area. Percentage implies that a guy with 10 year of service would have been away in Siachen, Kashmir, FATA etc for almost 6 years.

will take ages LOL.
Out of these 350 only 30-40 are 'ticked' as potential generals, 80 % of whom will also not make it.

thanks

my late father served 33 years in PK army (SSC). in that time he served about 6 years on LoC (kotli, skardu etc) including 2 wars (48, 65). now-a-days it may be different. before independence (42-45) he served in Burma and Singapur during WW2.

my late father served 33 years in PK army (SSC). in that time he served about 6 years on LoC (kotli, skardu etc) including 2 wars (48, 65). now-a-days it may be different. before independence (42-45) he served in Burma and Singapur during WW2.
Ofcourse the tenure a senior officer would have in a hard area is not counted. As per the current policy, it is what i have already mentioned.

yes fatman I agree... Im trying to reach to some stats here. Ok.... lets rephrase.

Q: what percentage of cadets from ONE YEAR (meaning two long courses) will see a sword and a batton on their shoulders?

yes fatman I agree... Im trying to reach to some stats here. Ok.... lets rephrase.

Q: what percentage of cadets from ONE YEAR (meaning two long courses) will see a sword and a batton on their shoulders?
Most probably none.

Out of 3-4 courses, may be a general, at best make it 2.

But sir @fatman17's course had quite a few generals.

There always are exceptions.

I've been always wondering how long is the basic officer training at PK Armed Forces by all branches?

I've been always wondering how long is the basic officer training at PK Armed Forces by all branches?
2 years at PMA, followed by basic courses of approx 6 months duration.

2 years at PMA, followed by basic courses of approx 6 months duration.

Hmmm isn't it a little short man? I mean in Turkey it's 4 years för all sexes. And dependable to 8 years for men. Additionally they can apply to War colleges when they Become a captain, which mean another 4 years of training. I thought it was some sortta similar to ours :/

Hmmm isn't it a little short man? I mean in Turkey it's 4 years för all sexes. And dependable to 8 years for men. Additionally they can apply to War colleges when they Become a captain, which mean another 4 years of training. I thought it was some sortta similar to ours :/
Didnt you ask for 'basic' training?

Ok, i say again; 2 yrs in PMA, 6 months basic courses (Own Arm), 6 month basic course (Infantry - to be undergone by all arms), Mid Career and Junior Staff Course of 6 months duration, these are the ones that everybody has to do.

Later, Staff Course of one year duration, War Course for One year duration.

Apart from these other optional courses like:
Counter Terrorism Course
Desert Warfare Course
Mountain Warfare Course
Basic Intelligence Course
Masters in Ammunition
Masters in Strategic Studies
Location Course
Gunnery Staff Course
Air Defence Gunnery Staff Course
Intelligence Staff Course
Logistics Staff Course
Anti-Armour Course
Sniper Course
Forward Air Controller etc etc and numerous others that almost every officer undergoes during his service.

In addition to this, officers from Army undergo Staff Courses of other Services (PAF and PN) too and vice versa.
Happy now? :)

Last edited:
Didnt you ask for 'basic' training?

Ok, i say again; 2 yrs in PMA, 6 months basic courses (Own Arm), 6 month basic course (Infantry - to be undergone by all arms), Mid Career and Junior Staff Course of 6 months duration, these are the ones that everybody has to do.

Later, Staff Course of one year duration, War Course for One year duration.

Apart from these other optional courses like:
Counter Terrorism Course
Desert Warfare Course
Mountain Warfare Course
Basic Intelligence Course
Masters in Ammunition
Masters in Strategic Studies
Location Course
Gunnery Staff Course
Air Defence Gunnery Staff Course
Intelligence Staff Course
Logistics Staff Course
Anti-Armour Course
Sniper Course
Forward Air Controller etc etc and numerous others that almost every officer undergoes during his service.

In addition to this, officers from Army undergo Staff Courses of other Services (PAF and PN) too and vice versa.
Happy now? :)

Yes. The ones I said exclude branch courses anyways. What about PN? there were several PN cadets at my time. How are their training conditions in terms of combat/naval and open seas education?

Back
Top Bottom