What's new

Free Koran project sparks outcry in Germany

No body is giving Quran on Gun Point if they want take it it is their free will

So much for peaceful.

Salafists in the City: Free Koran Distributions Have Germany Concerned - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Free Koran Distributions Have Germany Concerned

Salafist Muslims have been handing out free Korans across Germany in recent weeks. But the group's radicalism has many politicians concerned -- as does a recent video posted on YouTube that allegedly threatened journalists who wrote critical reports on the religious offensive.

At first glance, the project appears relatively harmless. A Muslim group in Germany has set as its goal the distribution of millions of free Korans, so that the holy book of Islam finds its place in "every household in Germany, Austria and Switzerland," as the project website (German language only) states.

For months -- though most noticeably during the recent Easter holidays -- followers of the Salafist imam Ibrahim Abou Nagie have been handing out copies at information stands in city centers across Germany. The group, which calls itself "The True Religion," claims that 300,000 copies have already been distributed.
Increasingly, though, skepticism of the project is mounting among leading politicians in Germany, not least because of Nagie's own radical interpretation of Islam. Indeed, last autumn Nagie was indicted for public incitement to commit criminal offenses and for disturbing the religious peace.

And on Thursday, daily Die Welt reports that a video made a brief appearance on YouTube this week apparently targeting journalists that reported critically on the Koran distribution project. "We now have detailed information on the monkeys and pigs who published false reports about the (Frankfurt Salafist group) DawaFFM and many other brothers and sisters," the video, which has since been taken down, intoned, according to Die Welt.

"We possess a lot of information, for example, we know where you live, we know what football team you root for, we have your mobile phone numbers," it continues. The video names reporters from the dailies Frankfurter Rundschau and Tagesspiegel. Die Welt reports that the producer of the video has worked for Nagie in the past.

Growing Political Debate

Separate from those revelations, the Ulm-based publishing house Ebner & Spiegel (which is not connected to SPIEGEL magazine), which is printing the Korans being handed out across the country, has suspended deliveries and is now examining possibilities for backing out of the contract.

The move was a reaction to the growing political debate in Germany focused on the Koran distributions. Although the Salafist info-stands have been making appearances in pedestrian zones of German towns for months, it is only now that politicians of all stripes have begun addressing Nagie's mission.

In particular, as many make clear, it is the Salafist movement itself that most find objectionable. Germany's Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), the country's domestic intelligence agency, estimates that there are between 3,000 and 5,000 Salafists in Germany. The Berlin office of the BfV warns that the Salafist ideology is almost identical to that of the al-Qaida terrorist network. More concerning, the group has a growing number of followers in Germany. Furthermore, Arid U., the man who was sentenced to life in prison in February for shooting to death two American servicemen at Frankfurt Airport in 2011, reportedly had ties to Salafism.

Disturbing the Religious Peace

Günter Krings, a senior member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democratic Union, told the Rheinische Post that "wherever possible, this aggressive action must be stopped. While the distribution of religious writings is in principle unobjectionable … the aggressive actions of the radical Salafists have disturbed the religious peace in our country."
Green Party co-leader Cem Özdemir was likewise clear in his condemnation of the Salafists. "I have a problem with all religious groups that place their world view above the constitution and above human rights. That applies as well to those Salafists who invoke violence and whose ideology fuels Islamist terrorism," he told Die Welt.

Spokespersons from other political parties have also expressed concern about the Koran distributions, though the business-friendly Free Democrats, Merkel's junior coalition partner, said that they doubt whether the project could be banned. Some leading German Muslim groups have also criticized the Salafists out of concern that the group is seeking to portray itself as the only true representative of Islam in the country.

So much for peaceful.

Salafists in the City: Free Koran Distributions Have Germany Concerned - SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Free Koran Distributions Have Germany Concerned

Salafist Muslims have been handing out free Korans across Germany in recent weeks. But the group's radicalism has many politicians concerned -- as does a recent video posted on YouTube that allegedly threatened journalists who wrote critical reports on the religious offensive.

At first glance, the project appears relatively harmless. A Muslim group in Germany has set as its goal the distribution of millions of free Korans, so that the holy book of Islam finds its place in "every household in Germany, Austria and Switzerland," as the project website (German language only) states.

For months -- though most noticeably during the recent Easter holidays -- followers of the Salafist imam Ibrahim Abou Nagie have been handing out copies at information stands in city centers across Germany. The group, which calls itself "The True Religion," claims that 300,000 copies have already been distributed.
Increasingly, though, skepticism of the project is mounting among leading politicians in Germany, not least because of Nagie's own radical interpretation of Islam. Indeed, last autumn Nagie was indicted for public incitement to commit criminal offenses and for disturbing the religious peace.

And on Thursday, daily Die Welt reports that a video made a brief appearance on YouTube this week apparently targeting journalists that reported critically on the Koran distribution project. "We now have detailed information on the monkeys and pigs who published false reports about the (Frankfurt Salafist group) DawaFFM and many other brothers and sisters," the video, which has since been taken down, intoned, according to Die Welt.

"We possess a lot of information, for example, we know where you live, we know what football team you root for, we have your mobile phone numbers," it continues. The video names reporters from the dailies Frankfurter Rundschau and Tagesspiegel. Die Welt reports that the producer of the video has worked for Nagie in the past.

Growing Political Debate

Separate from those revelations, the Ulm-based publishing house Ebner & Spiegel (which is not connected to SPIEGEL magazine), which is printing the Korans being handed out across the country, has suspended deliveries and is now examining possibilities for backing out of the contract.

The move was a reaction to the growing political debate in Germany focused on the Koran distributions. Although the Salafist info-stands have been making appearances in pedestrian zones of German towns for months, it is only now that politicians of all stripes have begun addressing Nagie's mission.

In particular, as many make clear, it is the Salafist movement itself that most find objectionable. Germany's Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV), the country's domestic intelligence agency, estimates that there are between 3,000 and 5,000 Salafists in Germany. The Berlin office of the BfV warns that the Salafist ideology is almost identical to that of the al-Qaida terrorist network. More concerning, the group has a growing number of followers in Germany. Furthermore, Arid U., the man who was sentenced to life in prison in February for shooting to death two American servicemen at Frankfurt Airport in 2011, reportedly had ties to Salafism.

Disturbing the Religious Peace

Günter Krings, a senior member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democratic Union, told the Rheinische Post that "wherever possible, this aggressive action must be stopped. While the distribution of religious writings is in principle unobjectionable … the aggressive actions of the radical Salafists have disturbed the religious peace in our country."
Green Party co-leader Cem Özdemir was likewise clear in his condemnation of the Salafists. "I have a problem with all religious groups that place their world view above the constitution and above human rights. That applies as well to those Salafists who invoke violence and whose ideology fuels Islamist terrorism," he told Die Welt.

Spokespersons from other political parties have also expressed concern about the Koran distributions, though the business-friendly Free Democrats, Merkel's junior coalition partner, said that they doubt whether the project could be banned. Some leading German Muslim groups have also criticized the Salafists out of concern that the group is seeking to portray itself as the only true representative of Islam in the country.

So, they are doing it by threatening people. This should be banned immediately.

Thats not the point though, Saudi Arabia is an Islamic Kingdom, whereas Germany a secular democratic country. We can't have the "Secular" tag and then go compare ourselves with "Islamic" kingdoms/countries. Same goes for when people compare India and Pakistan.

Having said that distributing 25 Million copies of Koran is just a recipe for disaster. They shouldn't be stopped though, but if someone decides to desecrate one of the copies they shouldn't have a sulk about it either.

I understand that...

But my concern how long will it take for muslims to throw this 'secularism' out of the their constitution if and when they became majority..
Forget about Germany, how about India? I saw recently saw video of a MIM leader in hyderabad abusing Hindus and Lord Ram publicly and no action was taken against him as he is in minority and since he will claim as a right to free speech. Tell me what will happen to some non-muslim if he does the same thing against Islam or Mohammad in Pakistan? or even in India?(remember Varun Gandhi)

Distribution of Koran is very dangerous,if some moron burn it or disrespect it , create chaos.

Koran is nothing but a ordinary book to non muslims. while for muslims its everything.

i hope the salafi understand the outcomes.

Distribution of Koran is very dangerous,if some moron burn it or disrespect it , create chaos.

Koran is nothing but a ordinary book to non muslims. while for muslims its everything.

i hope the salafi understand the outcomes.

Do u really think they care? Infact i have no doubt that they want some non-muslim to do some mistake...they will have one more reason to whip up emotions among muslims for jihad against another Kafir Country just like what happened in Denmark.

Any thing related to islam is very very dangerous. As dangerous as atom bomb. assume if some pinhead disrespect one copy out of 25 million copy.

no man no, in non islamic country nothing should be done, it will create world wide distruction.

remember Mohammed cartoon? That happened in denmark, and Indian muslims created riots in hyderabad.

Germany must curb this action, else we will suffer.

well if I were to plan this move I'd have gone with a Free Quran App instead of distributing the actual Quran .
that would have been far cheaper and faster and nobody could stop you distribute it , more importantly if you
want young people look at it and read it you must go for Digital medias .

right now if the publisher decide to stop print the Quran for them their project would end at the point but there
is no such problem with a Quranic App . also the must they can do with that app is to delete it so there would be
no problem with burning or desecrating the text

well if I were to plan this move I'd have gone with a Free Quran App instead of distributing the actual Quran .
that would have been far cheaper and faster and nobody could stop you distribute it , more importantly if you
want young people look at it and read it you must go for Digital medias .

right now if the publisher decide to stop print the Quran for them their project would end at the point but there
is no such problem with a Quranic App . also the must they can do with that app is to delete it so there would be
no problem with burning or desecrating the text

awesome idea.

I was in Toronto last weekend. They were distributing free Korans from a mini-shopping cart. What if a homeless guy gets hold of a copy and decides to use it to warm himself in the night? Imagine the volatile situation it can create. Anything sensitive should be treated with caution.

If it can save a life i dont mind burning a copy of my bagawat gita...heck i will even burn 10 of those if it can save a life .

I'll tell one incident from bihar India.

a man found a paperhag made of koran. next day it was friday. the city was on boil for few days.

If it can save a life i dont mind burning a copy of my bagawat gita...heck i will even burn 10 of those if it can save a life .

its not about you, its about them. read my earlier post.

Thats not the point though, Saudi Arabia is an Islamic Kingdom, whereas Germany a secular democratic country. We can't have the "Secular" tag and then go compare ourselves with "Islamic" kingdoms/countries. Same goes for when people compare India and Pakistan.

Having said that distributing 25 Million copies of Koran is just a recipe for disaster. They shouldn't be stopped though, but if someone decides to desecrate one of the copies they shouldn't have a sulk about it either.

Germany is not really secular as we have a Christian (Christian Democratic Union - CDU) party leading the current gov. What we have is freedom of religion, although that's not really 100% true either. France is the only country in Europe that is almost as secular (they call it laïcité) as secularity can go. But Sarkozy is working hard to bring that down as well.

On topic: I'm against any kind of religious proselytasion regardless what religion. If you are really good, people will come by themselves, no need to make PR.

will Saudi Arabia or any muslim country allow free 'bible' or free 'Bhagavad gita' projects in their country?

How long will it take for those books to be burnt and those distributing the books to be beheaded?

Funny thing..Muslims can proselytize non-muslims but other religion's people cant proseltyze muslims.

I am looking for a free bible and a copy of bhagabadgeeta (not joking). Do you know someone in Bangladesh who can help?

Back
Top Bottom