What's new

France's Alstom wins $3 billion Indian Railways contract

Yes but with broad gauge bogies (1676 mm).
The ones shown in pictures above is UIC standard gauge (1435 mm).

Hobby. more specifically rail photography.

@waz @Horus
Sir is it possible to merge this thread with GE wins $2.6 billion order to supply 1,000 diesel locomotives to Indian Railways
You realize there are very few of you guys around:)
My uncle (distant one) was a SR DMe in the railways , he was always dragging me to places . i saw the then Bhusaval loco shed in the 80 which serviced steam engines . it was massive.

Railways need overhaul. The railways need to be brought to standards that are there in China
what a humble opinion . since you use west products, you should be far far more advanced than china now . Don‘t need to degrade yourself to china level.

You realize there are very few of you guys around:)
My uncle (distant one) was a SR DMe in the railways , he was always dragging me to places . i saw the then Bhusaval loco shed in the 80 which serviced steam engines . it was massive.
Bhusawal was one of the biggest steam loco sheds in India. My love for railways too started with my Grandpa taking me to steam loco maintenance facility at Idgah Agra (Meter gauge line in those days). For my generation (born in late 70s early 80s), a train is still epitomized by huffing and puffing steam loco. That to me is kind of romantic nostalgia.

Sir, we don't use turntables, but LHF and SHF modes, so will this also make a slight difference to the models we will be using?

Like we used double headed world series Alco WDM1?

what a humble opinion . since you use west products, you should be far far more advanced than china now . Don‘t need to degrade yourself to china level.

One of the best ways to succeed, is to learn from your competitors.

And we have a lot to learn from China. Both from its successes and mistakes .

Sir, we don't use turntables, but LHF and SHF modes, so will this also make a slight difference to the models we will be using?
Short Hood Facing (SHF) or Long Hood Facing (LHF) term is applicable to Single Drive cabin locomotives. Usually locos are design in such a way that they can be run at rated speed in either mode ensuring the driving staff will have equal time and vision to respond to any situation. That said some mixed traffic locos such as WDM 3 series, while hauling faster trains like Rajdhanis are usually run in SHF mode.
As for the models described above, all are for freight service and therefore i don't think re-design with dual cab is required. Moreover with 6000-8000 tons trains these locos will definitely be run in MUed pair and therefore u get two cabins per loco unit.
Like we used double headed world series Alco WDM1?
WDM 1 was a very low HP loco (~1900 HP if i remember correctly) and in late 60s and 70s as trains started getting heavier, these were coupled together. However for most passenger services they ran single unit only. The same logic applied to WDM 2 (2600HP) in late 90s
6454840637_2a4ea5e042_b.jpg

Last edited:
Will India get the tech or just import?
Anyway it is good for u,good improvement.

The project would bring in an investment of Rs 1300 crore for setting of the factory and also the maintenance facilities. It would also entail procurement of 800 High horse Power (12000 HP) locomotives costing about Rs. 19,000 crore (exclusive of Taxes and Duties).

Although the tenders do not come to the Railway Minister, the mantra of decentralization, deregulation and delegation of powers to the cutting edge functionaries initiated by Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu in a big way helped expedite the awarding of LOA.

A joint venture company between Ministry of Railways and M/s Alstom Manufacturing India Limited will now be incorporated and agreement between the two will be signed within the next 30 days. This JV shall construct and run ELF Madhepura. Ministry of Railway will hold 26 per cent equity in JV Company subject to a maximum of Rs.100 crore. The proto-type locomotives are to be delivered in the coming two years and the factory is to be set up within a period of three years from signing of the Agreement.

The project requires only five electric locomotives to be imported. The balance 795 locomotives are to be manufactured in India. The contract provides suitable economic drivers which would ensure complete indigenization of the manufacturing which in turn will lead to substantial development of ancillary manufacturing units and indigenization of the locomotives making it a true ‘Make in India’ proposition.

Earlier Indian Railways had issued L.O.A. for setting up of Diesel Locomotive Factor (DLF) to M/s GE Global Sourcing India Pvt. Ltd. for manufacturing and supply of 1000 Diesel locos at about Rs.14,656 crores in a period of ten years with establishment of factory costing about Rs.1000 crores.

These two big ticket projects at Marhowra and Madhepura will usher in inflow of substantial FDI in Indian rail sector.

The entire bid process has been conducted in a fair, transparent and competitive manner which has drawn international attention. The simplified bidding process adopted for a complex project of this magnitude has also been appreciated by all stakeholders. The efforts made by Ministry of Railways in this direction has received wide appreciation.

Strange....Alstom's Vadodara unit has been taken over by GE...
..Dunia Gol hai...

The project would bring in an investment of Rs 1300 crore for setting of the factory and also the maintenance facilities. It would also entail procurement of 800 High horse Power (12000 HP) locomotives costing about Rs. 19,000 crore (exclusive of Taxes and Duties).

Although the tenders do not come to the Railway Minister, the mantra of decentralization, deregulation and delegation of powers to the cutting edge functionaries initiated by Minister of Railways Shri Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu in a big way helped expedite the awarding of LOA.

A joint venture company between Ministry of Railways and M/s Alstom Manufacturing India Limited will now be incorporated and agreement between the two will be signed within the next 30 days. This JV shall construct and run ELF Madhepura. Ministry of Railway will hold 26 per cent equity in JV Company subject to a maximum of Rs.100 crore. The proto-type locomotives are to be delivered in the coming two years and the factory is to be set up within a period of three years from signing of the Agreement.

The project requires only five electric locomotives to be imported. The balance 795 locomotives are to be manufactured in India. The contract provides suitable economic drivers which would ensure complete indigenization of the manufacturing which in turn will lead to substantial development of ancillary manufacturing units and indigenization of the locomotives making it a true ‘Make in India’ proposition.

Earlier Indian Railways had issued L.O.A. for setting up of Diesel Locomotive Factor (DLF) to M/s GE Global Sourcing India Pvt. Ltd. for manufacturing and supply of 1000 Diesel locos at about Rs.14,656 crores in a period of ten years with establishment of factory costing about Rs.1000 crores.

These two big ticket projects at Marhowra and Madhepura will usher in inflow of substantial FDI in Indian rail sector.

The entire bid process has been conducted in a fair, transparent and competitive manner which has drawn international attention. The simplified bidding process adopted for a complex project of this magnitude has also been appreciated by all stakeholders. The efforts made by Ministry of Railways in this direction has received wide appreciation.
Thank you for ur informing!

@anant_s sir, I don't know much about the manufacturing capabilities of the Railways. I know they are setting up a brand new factory for this order, how long will it take them to build 795 of these beasts in India?

@anant_s sir, I don't know much about the manufacturing capabilities of the Railways. I know they are setting up a brand new factory for this order, how long will it take them to build 795 of these beasts in India?

Established in 1986, RCF is a coach manufacturing unit of Indian Railways. RCF has already carved a niche in the industrial scenario of the country at large and Indian Railways , in particular. After turning out its first coach in March 1988, RCF has moved on to become the largest and most modern coach manufacturing unit of Indian Railways. At present more than 28,000 RCF built coaches are traversing the length and breadth of our nation. Every year RCF is adding more than 1600 coaches to this fleet, which includes AC and Non-AC coaches for Broad Gauge.

RCF is equipped with a state-of-the–art CAD centre and CNC machines to undertake design and manufacture of bogies, shells (both with stainless steel and corten steel).FRP interiors as per customer’s requirement. The state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities and processes have enabled RCF to achieve excellence in Design, Development, Manufacture, Installation and after sales service of Railway Coaches with a view to ensure enhanced satisfaction of the Rail customer.

The factory is located at a distance of 7 kms. from the historical city of Kapurthala. The integrated township is very well planned and boasts of lush green surroundings. It is considered one of the best residential complexes in the country. RCF is a self contained unit with its own shopping complex, six schools, banks with ATM facilities and a 76 bedded hospital. Apart from this, RCF colony has a beautiful lake complex, a large sports stadium, an 18-hole golf course, synthetic lawn-tennis courts, Astroturf Hockey Stadium, international size swimming pool, skating rink and other sports facilities.

Diesel Loco Works, Varanasi
DLW today produces advanced diesels with high efficiency and low maintenance costs. DLW has supplied a large variety of diesel locomotives (mostly diesel-electrics) to IR and numerous public-sector concerns (steel plants, power plants, ports, etc.). DLW has also exported locomotives to other countries such as Tanzania, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Malaysia. Recently [2004] it has also got orders for 1350hp Cape gauge locos for Sudan (3), 1350hp MG locos for Myanmar (11), 2300hp Cape gauge locos for Angola (6), etc. It has also branched out into manufacturing non-railway items such as 2.4MW diesel generator sets (based on the Alco 251 engine!) to offset a recent decline in orders from IR. (Although, simultaneously, it has helped DMW (see below) and Parel Workshops (see below) to gain expertise in assembling locomotives as it hasn't been able to keep up with the demand for some classes of locos, especially industrial shunters.) DLW's production capacity is around 240 locomotives a year.

Integral Coach Factory, Perambur

ICF currently maintains production capability for 170 different kinds of coaches.It has also exported coaches to many countries ([6/03] 425 since 1971; 60 to Myanmar, 45 to South Africa, 113 (+100?) to Taiwan, some to Thailand, Tanzania, the Philippines, Vietnam, Sri Lankaetc.)

Hobby. more specifically rail photography.

@waz @Horus
Sir is it possible to merge this thread with GE wins $2.6 billion order to supply 1,000 diesel locomotives to Indian Railways

@anant_s

In this field, I feel like a non-English speaking chinese in an Indian village.:o::crazy:
:agree:

Can u please tell us, what needs to change in order to run trains faster? Difference in tracks/infrastructure/cost, etc etc ?
I think many people here would appreciate it.

Last edited:
first of all brother, No sir please, i already start feeling adding 10 years to my age;)
coming to production schedule both GE and Alstom have to execute their respective contract in 10 years.
however i just had an information from one of my friend that government is planning 3 more DFCs and there is all likelihood that more locos will be ordered. we can safely say both Alstom and GE have hit a goldmine.
on your question of higher HP loco for eastern DFC, let me give a small hint. Eastern DFC will pass through Chota Nagpur plateau. can u now guess;)

@anant_s

In this field, I feel like a non-English speaking chinese in an Indian village.:o::crazy:

Can u please tell us, what needs to change in order to run trains faster? Difference in tracks/infrastructure/cost, etc etc ?
well my appologies for not using simpler language.
high speed tracks are straighter and laid on much denser or packed soil sub structure. curves are gentler and that often means going in straight lines leading to more bridges and tunnels. this adds to cost as for slower speeds u can have tighter curves and bypass lot of tricky geography (ravines for example).
next comes safety. owing to higher speed better signaling is required. trains like TGV, Shinkansen and Acela have in cab signalling and the driver can drive without needing to look out for signal.
one more factor is track fencing and access control. at high speeds crash with even animals like cow or Buffalo can have drastic impact.
finally u have simpler technical requirements like horse power and power controls.
As u can see it requires a lot many things other than train set to run fast trains.

Last edited:
on your question of higher HP loco for eastern DFC, let me give a small hint. Eastern DFC will pass through Chota Nagpur plateau. can u now guess;)
Ah, I imagine one is talking about coal?

+ @anant_s you are right about at least more 4 DFCs (Delhi-Chennai, Chennai-Kolkata, Chennai-Goa and Mumbai-Kolkata) being in the pipeline (in fact the advanced stages of planning), there is going to be an explosion in orders for these trains in the next decade. I'm not immersed in this area at all, so from a purely layman's perspective it seems to me the Alstom design/product looks far more modern than that of GE's, would the GE trains have the same sort of computerised cabin? I imagine these new trains would bring in a new generation of tech for the IRs such as self diagnostics and other such advancements?

Last edited:
@anant_s

well my appologies for not using simpler language.
high speed tracks are straighter and laid on much denser or packed soil sub structure. curves are gentler and that often means going in straight lines leading to more bridges and tunnels. this adds to cost as for slower speeds u can have tighter curves and bypass lot of tricky geography (ravines for example).
next comes safety. owing to higher speed better signaling is required. trains like TGV, Shinkansen and Acela have in cab signalling and the driver can drive without needing to look out for signal.
one more factor is track fencing and access control. at high speeds crash with even animals like cow or Buffalo can have drastic impact.
finally u have simpler technical requirements like horse power and
Ah, I imagine one is talking about coal?

+ @anant_s you are right about at least more 4 DFCs (Delhi-Chennai, Chennai-Kolkata, Chennai-Goa and Mumbai-Kolkata) being in the pipeline (in fact the advanced stages of planning), there is going to be an explosion in orders for these trains in the next decade. I'm not immersed in this area at all, so from a purely layman's perspective it seems to me the Alstom design/product looks far more modern than that of GE's, would the GE trains have the same sort of computerised cabin? I imagine these new trains would bring in a new generation of tech for the IRs such as self diagnostics and other such advancements?
bingo!
eastern DFC will have several feeder routes that will connect mineral lines from states of jharkhand Orrisha and west bengal necessitating heavier trains and loco HP.

GE locos are some of the best in world and their performance in some of toughest lines in Canadian Pacific railways is a testimony to quality.
new locos will have far better ergonomics and reduced driver load by higher automation.
Locohires.jpg

tumblr_inline_nsz5djAVsO1qzgziy_5401.jpg

GE's test track at Colorado Praire
Pictures by Vincent Laforet

technology wise several new methods of construction, signalling etc have been employed in FCs and hopefully these will bring about positive changes in IR such as punctuality and improvement in safety.
JICA, which has funded WDFC rightly mentioned that DFCs are biggest transportation infra project since country's having massive potential to change industrial landscape of country.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom