What's new

France to provide combat copters

Article From Asian Defence Website

By USMAN ANSARI
France is preparing a comprehensive defense package to offer to Pakistan for its counterterrorism operations in the North West Frontier Province bordering Afghanistan, according to a spokesman at the French defense section at Paris' Embassy here.Local media had reported a possible Franco-Pakistani defense deal in early July.Related TopicsThe spokesman said that the deal would include weapons and training, but gave no further details.."Nothing has been agreed, but a lot of things have been discussed. The main issue is to help Pakistan in the area of counterterrorism," he said.As for media reports that an agreement had been reached to sell the Franco-German Tiger attack helicopter to Islamabad, the spokesman dismissed them as "a media buzz."The spokesman said the larger deal might be concluded when French President Nicholas Sarkozy visits sometime after Sept. 21.France is already working to remedy a shortage of helicopters that has hindered the Pakistan Army during its counterterrorism operations in the North West Frontier Province. The French have returned Pakistan's Puma transport and utility helicopters to full operational status. They are also providing the armed variant of the AS550 Fennec light helicopter, which will join the unarmed Ecureuil variant that is in service with Pakistan Army Aviation.However, the Tiger gunship, if it is included in the package, may not be suitable for Pakistan's needs, said defense analyst Haris Khan of the Pakistan Military Consortium.Khan said the Pakistan Army needs extra gunships "immediately," but he noted that the most obvious source, Washington, is unable to meet the need. Pakistan had hoped to acquire the AH-64 Apache, but no funds are available for the purchase.Additional AH-1F Cobras are also unlikely to materialize soon because, he said, "it takes close to 24 to 36 months to refurbish a stored AH-1 S/F and make it fully combat-operational."However, a spokesman for the defense section in the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad said Pakistan had previously declined an offer of further refurbished Cobras."Through Foreign Military Financing [FMF], the U.S. provided 12 refurbished AH-1Fs to Pakistan in 2007. Pakistan used U.S. grants to pay for the refurbishments. Also through FMF, the U.S. offered to refurbish an additional eight Pakistan Army AH-1F Cobras; however, Pakistan decided not to pursue this course of action," he said.Khan said the only other U.S. option also comes with a considerable time delay."The U.S. has indicated that they are willing and able to release close to 14 AH-1W Super Cobras immediately, but first Pakistan Army pilots and technicians would need to be trained. Therefore, the Pakistan Army would be looking at another 10 to 12 months before it wears Pakistani colors," he said.Khan said Pakistan's needs would best be met by the South African AH-2 Rooivalk."It is hard-hitting, rugged, needs little support, the Pakistan Army is familiar with the Puma platform [upon which it is based] and has expertise with it, and it suits Pakistan's industrial base to a large degree."But he said the Rooivalk program is now all but at a premature end, and Islamabad lacks the finances to revive and purchase it from the South Africans. ■

already posted friend!

Changhe Aircraft Industries Group (CAIG)

Z-10

People’s Liberation Army Aviation Corps

See Note

Note: After building 6 to 8 prototypes & pre-production examples, it was reported in early 2008 that this attack helicopter project has been curtailed.

interesting news!

ref: AirForce Intel.com

Eurocopter

EC 665 Tiger

...no ownership listed...

EC 665 Tigre HAD

French Army Air Corps 40

- Note: Please see Tigre HAP inventory entry for timeline of this variant's proposed delivery schedule.

Spanish Army Aviation 18 (+6)

- Note: 18 examples to be delivered in HAD specification; the remaining 6 will be modified from HAP standard.

EC 665 Tigre HAP D

French Army Air Corps 20 20 20

- Note: 14 examples delivered as of June 2008 & a total of 20 by the Spring of 2009. The French DGA envisages 33 deliveries between 2009 - 2014, & a further 27 from 2015 - 2020, these totals also inclusive of the 40 Tigre HAD variant being acquired.

- Located at Army Technical Section's Airmobility Group, Combat Support Helicopter Flight, Franco - German School

Spanish Army Aviation 6 6

- Note: All 6 examples delivered as HAP variants will be retrofitted & modified to HAD standard in due course.

- Located at BHELA-I

Tiger ARH D

Australian Army Aviation Corps 15 15 7

- Note: 15 aircraft had been delivered by the end of 2008.

- Located at 161st Reconnaissance Squadron, School of Army Aviation

Tiger UHT D

German Army Aviation 8 7 1 72

- Note: 8 aircraft had been accepted into service by the the summer of 2008. 1 example is in use as a ground-based instructional airframe.

- Located at Franco - German School

total Tiger helo inventory!

ref; AirForce Intel.com

Note: After building 6 to 8 prototypes & pre-production examples, it was reported in early 2008 that this attack helicopter project has been curtailed.[/B]

interesting news!

ref: AirForce Intel.com

I don't think that's true. From what I've read, the Chinese went to a lot of trouble to develop the WZ-10. Are the PLA buying any other dedicated attack chopper?

I don't think that's true. From what I've read, the Chinese went to a lot of trouble to develop the WZ-10. Are the PLA buying any other dedicated attack chopper?

pls provide any link/document

the chinese have 2 attack helo variants based on the Z-9!

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

isnt it the Z9 attack variant!
whats is it carrying as missiles, i mean which missile is this, any info?

anyway thaks for the nice stuff!

regards!

well i have read alot about Z-10 attack helicopter but no where seen anything about its curtailment.
In my view also its very hard to believe that china will curtail this program as they badly need an attack helicopter, Z-9 can do the job but its not a dedicated attack helicopter, rather it can be used as a scout or light armed helicopter, as it wasn't built for attack helicopter purposes. The armed versions of Z-9 most probably are stop gap measures, the main problem chinese are facing in the development of Z-10 is its engine, same case with WS-10A engine. So i guess after having the helicopter in test and development phase for so many years and closing it down wont be a suitable option, as china needs hundreds of these helicopters, and importing such a huge amount is not suitable for them, but lately there hasn't been any new news or pictures of Z-10.

isnt it the Z9 attack variant!
whats is it carrying as missiles, i mean which missile is this, any info?

anyway thaks for the nice stuff!

regards!

Arsalan, the latest laser/radar guided chinese ATGM is in the test & evaluation phase, Z-9 are mostly carrying HJ-8 (Baktar Shikan ) or HJ-9 ATGM.

I would opt for Chinese cause we have seen the costs and political strings from other nations...

I would opt for Chinese cause we have seen the costs and political strings from other nations...

ver true!
only the turkish T129 may be the other option and we can get them together with some WZ10 as they will be more expensive!
so perhaps 20 to 25 T129 for high end role together with 30 - 40 WZ 10 will be enough foe us to keep our armay aviation wing flying for another 20 years or so!

regards!

well plz find the pics of WZ-10 flight simulator & a google earth pic which most probably is showing a WZ-10 parked.

I think pakistan should wait for this helicopter, in the mean time get cobras of latest type and may go for the turkish attack helicopter.

we asked them for nuke tech and they are offering tiger heli very cunfusing

Back
Top Bottom