What's new

Fourth Secular Blogger Hacked to Death in Bangladesh

So what are the choices? Either stay quiet or build up your own armory, because the gov't won't provide protection from the extremists? That's like handing them a "win" already, isn't it?

Before WWII some writers and cartoonists in the U.S. were threatened by local Nazis. In two cases I recall local mayors called those under threat to assure them they would be protected and deployed police appropriately. No one stopped writing or drawing - but you're saying in Bangladesh the police won't do that because they or their bosses aren't willing to fight the good fight for human dignity and freedom?
Given that large majority of Bangladeshi people are practicing muslim,no democratic govt can take side of the atheist blogger,otherwise they will be branded as anti-islam and muslim.Best they can is to remain neutral and pursuing the killer and punish them.But guarding the atheist blogger by govt will be seen as a facilitator of blasphemy.Mindset of Bangladeshi muslim or any other muslim country is not the same as the western populace. Current western tolerance to blasphemy is the accumulated result of hundreds of years of secularization and material and intellectual progress in the west.Muslim country's material,educational progress is nowhere near the western countries nor they have undergone centuries of secularization like western countries.So expecting the same response from the muslim govt like that of western authority is wishful thinking.

Second point is that,given the nature of Islamic extremism like a Hydra headed monster,Expecting the security environment like that of western countries from a under developed country like Bangladesh is excessive.Note that even France could not able to foil the attack on Charlie Hebdo,then imagine the capability of Bangladesh police.Bangladesh security apparatus is doing good job at capturing the militant but there always remain some loop hole.I am all for freedom of expression and critical thinking but we have to understand the realities.

freedom of speech and muslim countries ?:lol:

You are honestly truely brutal..

it is simply the tableeghi jamaat doing this and ascribing it to fancy group names... bd government should begin raiding them.

this is sad... bd will slowly become what india and pakistan have.

I think this may be your perception only...You can not compare India with Pakistan in this aspect...

This amount of superstition and sheer ignorance will eventually destroy the country.

This amount of superstition and sheer ignorance will eventually destroy the country.

And what's so bad about superstition? It's not like your country is free from such.

whatever.......i will only say this"braaavooo.............gracious""",,,i would be more happy ,,if they would kill a blogger with a muslim name......:rofl::whistle::smitten::sarcastic:

succeeded though.

Having a fair, seeing an old man hanged and enjoying free biryani is not success. Add that to Mr. Sarkar enjoying his stay at Sheraton :lol:

If they hadn't mixed religion with the war crimes trial, these incidents would not have happened in the first place. I warned them about the potential consequences as the Shahbagh fiasco was happening here two years ago, but they did not listen.

Does a war crimes trial have any resonance with the legitimacy of religion in an entire society? It in fact does not. Then why bring up religion in such an important chapter in this country? It was not some personal blog that people can troll over.

Let's be honest, Bangladesh is still too primitive of a society to accept the criticism of Islam. Big or small, does not matter.

Do you call that a successful society in light of the transgressions?

Is this a serious question? Apart from the fact that it held back human civilization for centuries

Not necessarily.

Didnt say so. But freedom of speech is better protected in India than in BD

If you say so.

it is simply the tableeghi jamaat doing this and ascribing it to fancy group names... bd government should begin raiding them.

this is sad... bd will slowly become what india and pakistan have.
I think I kind of get what you may be trying to say, and even agree to an extent, if what you're saying is what I'm thinking..

but no, for now India is no "Islamic Republic" or anything, so by default much much better off than the Pakeez/saudeez etc of the world for now, and will remain a much better place until we become a theological state (hopefully never)

but poor BD, things get worse there and I would fully support a military intervention by Indian forces if it looks like they're at risk of slipping into becoming a "banglistan"

jamaatis, wahhabis going militant ? no time for mercy, wipe than cancer off asap :guns:

name the particular political activism as secular blogging and try to cash it. wonderful idea

I think this may be your perception only...You can not compare India with Pakistan in this aspect...

silencing of critics or cynics happens in india too, but the first step there will be through "legal" recourse - some nationalist/fundamentalist lawyer petitioning for a ban on a book or extradiction of a film-maker etc... the petition will be backed by real threat of mob violence.

jamaatis, wahhabis going militant ? no time for mercy, wipe than cancer off asap :guns:

the reactionary in every religion is a cancer... i don't see why muslims should be singled out, unless islam is everyone's favorite punching bag.

the reactionary in every religion is a cancer... i don't see why muslims should be singled out, unless islam is everyone's favorite punching bag.
right, wave the victim flag.. best you can do ?

I can say with 100% certainty that I'd be calling out the al qaedas, isis and boko haramis of the world even if happened to be born to "muslim" folks

but I'll put on my secular skull cap for you anyway... they should hang every murderer rioter bajrangi from the gujarat pogrom and cluster bomb their gatherings, nuke them.. or plutonium poison them Litvinenko style, khush ? :enjoy:

but I'll put on my secular skull cap for you anyway... they should hang every murderer rioter bajrangi from the gujarat pogrom and cluster bomb their gatherings, nuke them.. or plutonium poison them Litvinenko style, khush ? :enjoy:

bilkul khush. :agree:

Back
Top Bottom