Former Pakistan greats slam overturn of Malik ban

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Former Pakistan greats slam overturn of Malik ban

(AFP) – 19 hours ago

KARACHI — Former players Sunday lashed out at Pakistan cricket authorities for lifting a one-year ban on ex-captain Shoaib Malik, saying it would set a bad example.

A one-man arbitration panel set up by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) on Saturday accepted Malik's appeal against a one-year playing ban imposed for breach of discipline during foreign tours last year.

Retired judge Irfan Qadir on Saturday halved the original two million rupees (35,000 dollars) fine, paving the way for Malik's return to international cricket.

Former paceman Sarfraz Nawaz said the overturning did not bode well for the future of the game.

"The PCB has taken a coward's stance," Nawaz told AFP. "It's a decision taken under political pressure and will damage Pakistan cricket in the future."

Malik and allrounder Rana Naved-ul were banned for one year and fined two million rupees each for breaches of discipline during Pakistan's tours of United Arab Emirates, New Zealand and Australia between November and February.

The pair were among seven players who were fined and banned for indiscipline.

Former captains Younus Khan and Mohammad Yousuf were banned for indefinite periods over infighting.

Kamran Akmal, Shahid Afridi and Umar Akmal were fined heavily.

Yousuf retired in protest, but the other six players appealed. The five remaining appeals were adjourned until next month.

Nawaz said the PCB's decision was abrupt.

"(The) PCB took a decision against discipline breaches but couldn't stand the pressure from political forces. I also question the authority of the arbitrator as well who doesn't have the credibility and authority to take such a decision," said Nawaz.

Another former captain and ex-chief selector Amir Sohail said the PCB had been too quick to act.

"The PCB has taken a hasty decision," said Sohail, who resigned as director of the national cricket academy after differences with PCB chairman Ijaz Butt last year.

"To hide its own incompetence, the PCB targeted the players and after pressures from outside they abruptly lifted the ban."

Another former chief selector Abdul Qadir said Malik's ban overturn will encourage bad behaviour.

"By lifting the ban on Malik, the PCB has succumbed to political pressures," said Qadir, a former leg-spinner. "If the Board had taken a strong decision, it should have stuck to it come what may, but their decision will now encourage the players to violate discipline and get away with it."

Qadir said other players like Younus should also be cleared.

"Now it's the duty of the Board to clear other players also because it will be blamed to have done preferential treatment to one player after Malik is cleared," said Qadir.

The PCB has denied Malik's ban overturn was politically motivated, saying the decision "was taken after Malik's behaviour was monitored for three months."

i think now afridi should say to pcb that if malik is going to play than younis must if not than afrridi should not play becauz i still dont see malik playing for pakistan sincerely and as a fan of pak cricket i think younis and yousuf ban's was been given unfairly and the ban's who deserved it like mailk has been lifted i deeply got hurt by these silly decisions if their is ban than keep ban if you lift from one guy than you lift from alll and malik is not going to make any difference to side even if he played we have his replacement likes of hafeez and others what we dont have firm test batsman likes of younis and yousuf so what we need we should go for it what we dont need why we get that thing what a pathetic decision it is and i dont seee the probleum is going to be finish in the team if malik gets in he willl make more probelums as rana said that malik was the one who have created chaos why u lift the ban on that guy i think he should be banned for life and banned not to play any type of cricket anywhere

malik is a bad a$$ in Pakistani Team ... he was the head of group making inside the team .

yes in my opinion he should be banned for life and never plays any type of cricket not even exhibition match anywhere ban him as banned azzharuddin

Its a wedding gift for Shoaib Malik.

Lets hope that from now onwards he behaves himself.

HI
its not about politics in cricket its all about Pakistani mentality rich,famous & influential people always get pardoned no matter what let it be shoaib malik or Rehman malik :lol:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom