What's new

Former Guantanamo Inmate Leads The Afghan Fight Against IS [and blames Pakistan]

pakistani342

Reaction score
Country
United States
According to Afghan imagination, it seems Pakistan is even behind IS in Afghanistan

Article here, excerpts below:

@A-Team, @Sabawoon_Noorzai

Haji Ghalib Mujahid, 58, is the civilian district governor in a remote region in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar. But the bearded figure spends most of his time fighting the Islamic State (IS). Locally known by its Arabic name Daesh, IS still control pockets of the mountainous Achin district, which border's Pakistan's tribal areas to the east.

Ghalib's day begins at 6 a.m., when he begins receiving petitioners, most of whom need his help to obtain Afghan identity papers or help in reopening schools and clinics. He also looks after thousands of displaced families in Achin.

But by 10 a.m. he picks up his Kalashnikov rifle and puts on his bulletproof vest. His SUV often leads the police and army convoys that chase militants in the distant mountain hamlets.

Ghalib, a former police officer, knew Dost from the days when they fought with the Islamist mujahidin guerillas against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s. The two became close friends during Ghalib's four-year incarceration in a U.S. detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"Indeed, we were close friends when we were there [in Guantanamo]. But when we returned to Afghanistan, we parted ways," he said. "I once told Muslim Dost, 'Don't go to Pakistan because they will use you [against your own country]'."

Afghan officials accuse Pakistan of supporting insurgents. During the past two months, Ghalib has repeatedly accused Islamabad of being behind the IS offensive in Nangarhar. Pakistani officials have not commented on the accusations, but Islamabad often rejects claims that it supports Afghan rebels.

According to Afghan imagination, it seems Pakistan is even behind IS in Afghanistan

Article here, excerpts below:

@A-Team, @Sabawoon_Noorzai

Haji Ghalib Mujahid, 58, is the civilian district governor in a remote region in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar. But the bearded figure spends most of his time fighting the Islamic State (IS). Locally known by its Arabic name Daesh, IS still control pockets of the mountainous Achin district, which border's Pakistan's tribal areas to the east.

Ghalib's day begins at 6 a.m., when he begins receiving petitioners, most of whom need his help to obtain Afghan identity papers or help in reopening schools and clinics. He also looks after thousands of displaced families in Achin.

But by 10 a.m. he picks up his Kalashnikov rifle and puts on his bulletproof vest. His SUV often leads the police and army convoys that chase militants in the distant mountain hamlets.

Ghalib, a former police officer, knew Dost from the days when they fought with the Islamist mujahidin guerillas against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s. The two became close friends during Ghalib's four-year incarceration in a U.S. detention center in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

"Indeed, we were close friends when we were there [in Guantanamo]. But when we returned to Afghanistan, we parted ways," he said. "I once told Muslim Dost, 'Don't go to Pakistan because they will use you [against your own country]'."

Afghan officials accuse Pakistan of supporting insurgents. During the past two months, Ghalib has repeatedly accused Islamabad of being behind the IS offensive in Nangarhar. Pakistani officials have not commented on the accusations, but Islamabad often rejects claims that it supports Afghan rebels.

Majority of the IS operating in Jalalabad and adjacent areas are ex-TTP from Orakazai Agency Pakistan. They have switched flags when they were pushed into Afghanistan by Pakistan military operation. Over the course several months majority of these folks are either dead or pushed back into Pakistani areas by Afghan operations. Their aim was to disrupt and capture Jalalabad but it seems they found peace in the afterlife much sooner than expected!

Islamic movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), also joined IS. They were the most lethal group, carried out the most vicious and well orchestrated attacks for the TTP( including the Kamra airbase attack, Mehran airbase attack and the GHQ attack). Now IMU has moved to Khost. They will wreak havoc there, its imperative for the ANSF to eliminate them immediately because unlike the taliban, IMU are hardcore fighters, many of them served under the soviets. As TTP grows weaker by day, ISIS will be looking for scraps. Expect more TTP groups to join them.

Here is a Uzbek fighter killed in the peshawar airbase attack. Many of them are converts and still have their old tattoos.
480719-attkder-1355691613-953-640x480.jpg

Extremism has always been the fabric of Afghan society..Pakistan is not to be blamed rather Pakistan is a victim of Afghan terrorism...Taliban and Afghan IS factions are just an evolution of Ghori and Ghaznavi invaders who came for the same purpose..murder and plundering....

Majority of the IS operating in Jalalabad and adjacent areas are ex-TTP from Orakazai Agency Pakistan. They have switched flags when they were pushed into Afghanistan by Pakistan military operation. Over the course several months majority of these folks are either dead or pushed back into Pakistani areas by Afghan operations. Their aim was to disrupt and capture Jalalabad but it seems they found peace in the afterlife much sooner than expected!

Before the start of Pakistan military ops, How many times Afghan army was asked to put boots on your side of border adjacent Pakistani Ops area ?

Extremism has always been the fabric of Afghan society..Pakistan is not to be blamed rather Pakistan is a victim of Afghan terrorism...Taliban and Afghan IS factions are just an evolution of Ghori and Ghaznavi invaders who came for the same purpose..murder and plundering....

I don't think extremism has been part of the Afghan society until the Soviet invasion, where money was pumped into turning Afghans into holy warriors and thus taking advantage of their naive nature, extremism was brought in by the influx of Arabs etc during the Soviet episode. Have you read the books the thought to Afghan refugees in Pakistan, it was something along the lines T= Toopak ( Rifle ) G = Gihad :)

You are right though that Afghans did invade greater India which also contains the current Pakistan, I think that was the product of those times, as countries invaded their immediate neighbours, so it was not an exception rather a norm.

What puzzles me though as that you mentioned Ghori, Ghaznavi who invaded your ancestor but here you are naming your ballistic missiles with their Names! Makes you think no ?

/Peace

@pakistani342 @Jamwal's @kaykay

What puzzles me though as that you mentioned Ghori, Ghaznavi who invaded your ancestor but here you are naming your ballistic missiles with their Names! Makes you think no ?

/Peace

@pakistani342 @Jamwal's @kaykay

I honestly don't understand the point about Ghori and Ghazanvi -- they evoke terror, pillage, strife in the mind -- especially in what is the modern Indian psyche, if you listen to enough common people and even elite Indian intellectuals such as Subramanian Swamy -- missiles that would carry world ending payloads (nukes) would probably have such names? no?

For example the American missiles were named Nike, Ajax, Hercules -- these are Greek names.

What might be a matter of introspection (I was going to say shame) for Afghans is: that the only thing Afghan in those missiles and their payload is the name, the rest is either Chinese, Russian, North Korean, possibly stolen German, American with sufficient measures of Pakistani ingenuity. The missiles and they payload represent to some degree, however flawed and limited, the aspirations, industrial base, ingenuity of a people terrorized by Ghori and Ghazanvi.

@A-Team: there is an excellent book that is on my reading list: Eating Grass: The Making of the Pakistani Bomb -- it by retired Pakistani General Feroz Khan. I have read excerpts and listened to his presentations. The making of the Bomb (the story and the mythology) for a Muslim nation like Pakistan is a fascination story. I think Afghans can learn much from that struggle -- it is not 80 TV channels with jesters and scantily clad women that codify a nation's wealth -- it is the culture and heritage of creation, science (however limited and flawed) that can create such complex mechanisms that signifies the wealth and culture of a nation.

I don't think extremism has been part of the Afghan society until the Soviet invasion, where money was pumped into turning Afghans into holy warriors and thus taking advantage of their naive nature, extremism was brought in by the influx of Arabs etc during the Soviet episode. Have you read the books the thought to Afghan refugees in Pakistan, it was something along the lines T= Toopak ( Rifle ) G = Gihad :)

No, I'm sorry but this is revisionist history -- to say that Afghans were simple agrarian folk who were turned into fanatics is incorrect. The part about indoctrination is true -- however to say that the Afghans have no history of internal strife, external conquest is simply not correct -- as you cited, Ghori and Ghazanvi did invade areas including what in now Pakistan.

And again to say that such invasion were the norm for the time may be correct, but so can then one say about slavery, colonialism, etc. etc. However, former colonial powers bear the moral burden of their ancestor's actions. The nearer the event, more the burden. For example we do not debate if the Carthaginians need to pay restitution to some people but the same is not true say for France and other European colonial powers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom