What's new

Foreigners visiting China are increasingly stumped by its cashless society

Which doesn't prevent them from doing wholesale domestic espionage on their populace for US

Same for their banking laws, they literally send info on literally every German bank account to US.

There is literally a cable going from DE CIX to US "storage depot" in Wiesbaden. US has a number of other innocuous "storage depots" in Germany with multi-terrabit fibre uplinks
Do you know the novel “Animal Farm” by George Orwell?

Certainly there are paranoia people everywhere, the governments especially. They want to control the population. For me it’s a nightmare if the government knows everything about me, what beer I drink at what time, what color and how many pieces of condoms I buy. How often I buy toilet paper last month. Imagine, my neighbor works for the government. He or she knows more about me than myself.

Talking about payment system, I prefer in cash.

For me personally in Singapore, NFC payment (phone) > QR payment > Cash.

NFC is really convenient, but you need the infrastructure to build it which may be expensive for small businesses like street food stalls.

QR is a good alternative since it does away with the infrastructure so it's cheap for businesses, but for consumers you need to open the App and 'aim'.

How about paying in cash in restaurant, street food, and taxi, will be able to do it ?

Yes. Went to China earlier this year and paid everything by cash. No grumble. There are millions of tourists in China every year and most tourists don't use QR payment.

NFC is really convenient, but you need the infrastructure to build it which may be expensive for small businesses like street food stalls.

QR is a good alternative since it does away with the infrastructure so it's cheap for businesses, but for consumers you need to open the App and 'aim'.

Yes. Went to China earlier this year and paid everything by cash. No grumble. There are millions of tourists in China every year and most tourists don't use QR payment.

I am already satisfied with cash and card (electronic money and debit card) :D

Thanks for the explanation so I dont need to be worried if my mother and sister visit Beijing :-)

One big advantage living in a cashless society is that we know we will get the correct change when we pay for it.

Let’s me tell you about China
Many countries in the world from West and East value privacy. Germany for example has very strict laws that govern private spheres. Interestingly chinese people have no concept of privacy. They don’t mind, chinese government knows everything about them, every single individual, what they buy in which supermarket and what items, what they eat to breakfast or dinner. Since everything is bought cashless and recorded, the government even knows how many and what size of condoms you buy.

Having said that I wish your mother a good trip nevertheless, try avoid pay cashless as much as possible :-)
Idiot, have you ever been to China??? What can you tell someone about China???
CIA also knows well that you have a barely 2 inch tiny little thing...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
For transportation I do prefer paying using electronic money (card) but using phone to buy something is still confusing for me.

Can we still use credit card in Beijing ? (a month from now my mother and sister will visit Beijing)
In my experience foreign credit cards are only accepted at big malls. I wouldn't rely on it. you'll need a chinese bank account and phone number to hook up mobile payments so that's a hassle. Best to just have some cash on hand.

How about paying in cash in restaurant, street food, and taxi, will be able to do it ?

Does Xinjiang also have the same issue ? (My mother next visit maybe Xinjiang)
Cash is accepted everywhere in China, no worry. The only problem is, many clerks will feel surprised to see you pay them cash, and they may perform awkward in count the cash and give you the changes, because they don't have much chances to practice it.

Talking about payment system, I prefer in cash.
Just out of curiosity. I heard Gojek is very popular in Indonesia. So if you order a car service from Gojek, how you pay it?

Cash is accepted everywhere in China, no worry. The only problem is, many clerks will feel surprised to see you pay them cash, and they may perform awkward in count the cash and give you the changes, because they don't have much chances to practice it.

Thanks for the explanation. Glad to hear that.

Just out of curiosity. I heard Gojek is very popular in Indonesia. So if you order a car service from Gojek, how you pay it?

They have two kind of payment system, one with cash and the other using phone which is called Go Pay. I never use the electronic one and always pay in cash.

They have two kind of payment system, one with cash and the other using phone which is called Go Pay. I never use the electronic one and always pay in cash.
Clear now. Thanks for the explanation.

Idiot, have you ever been to China??? What can you tell someone about China???
CIA also knows well that you have a barely 2 inch tiny little thing...:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Bla bla

fyi I have been many times to HK. If you consider HK is part of china then yes I have been to china.

I can't see how he thinks credit cards are slower. With NFC you just wave your card, phone, or watch and it's done. Credit card readers are ubiquitous...this is why QR hasn't taken off here.

This is from 2012 and there is no "pin",signing, or limit.

Meanwhile this QR thing is WAY too much trouble...people are too impatient to be fiddling like this on their phones.

Last edited:
I can't see how he thinks credit cards are slower. With NFC you just wave your card, phone, or watch and it's done. Credit card readers are ubiquitous...this is why QR hasn't taken off here.

This is from 2012 and there is no "pin" or limit.

Well, both have their pros and cons. I think they can coexist and that's what Singapore is trying to do.

Well, both have their pros and cons. I think they can coexist and that's what Singapore is trying to do.

I think they simply were never exposed to a card infrastructure that was fast and simple to use. We have had QR stuff like Square but it never caught on because it was just not seen as an improvement.

I think they simply were never exposed to a card infrastructure that was fast and simple to use. We have had QR stuff like Square but it never caught on because it was just not seen as an improvement.
No countries can build infrastructures of any kind better and faster than China on this planet, you are just in denial that US is falling behind in development and insist the old is always the best. One day US will take the same path, you'll see.

Back
Top Bottom