What's new

Foreign media-ocrity

H2O3C4Nitrogen

Reaction score
Foreign media-ocrity

290-Eefa-Khalid.jpg

“It’s such an exciting time to be in Pakistan.” This is a line one hears time and again from every new arrival of foreigners that lands at Islamabad airport. From the US Secretary of State, to the new foreign service employees at an international embassy, to the newest international media correspondent, Pakistan seems to be the new land of opportunity. Except that this opportunity doesn’t really work for us too much, considering we were declared the most dangerous country in the world last year and now, because of natural disasters, are at our absolute lowest point. Sadly, Pakistan is being mined by the rest of the world as an example of how good it can get when it gets really bad.

Unlike most other developing nations that have abject poverty, corrupt economies and poor leadership, Pakistan has still managed to hold onto some semblance of normalcy in its daily suffrage. There is still a sense of survival (just barely), social decadence and just plain old resilience amidst the madness of militant terror and disastrous flooding. Supposedly this is what makes Pakistan ‘exciting’ for outsiders.

In the age of global communication, there is nothing that doesn’t get out. Not even top-secret documents on America’s war in Afghanistan. But some things don’t get out by agenda. One of these is how the global media wants its audience to view countries like Pakistan. Portrayals include a state that colludes with Islamic militants to encourage global extremism; a country rife with civil and ethnic angst that abuses its justice system; a country constantly plagued with preventable and mismanaged natural disasters. And oh yes, a confused nation of elite party-goers all juxtaposed against the women in black (burqas). Pakistan’s stereotype has come a long way. While most of these claims are admittedly true, is that all there is to us?

Over a year ago, I did a story on the sudden rise in the almost permanent presence of foreign media networks in Pakistan since the Afghanistan invasion in 2001.The bottom line was that the war on terror was the only news that was worthy of the presence of almost 100 foreign journalists in Islamabad. Nothing else figured on the agenda. No economics, no culture, no society, no people, except for those affected by the suicide bombings and drone attacks, or those displaced by army action in the tribal areas and lately, by natural disasters.

To give benefit of the doubt, dirt sells and news is business after all. Even our local television feeds the international media with its tales of graphic horror. We don’t give much airtime to anything else either. But one would expect more from the international media networks, since it is one of the very few ways people abroad have to form an impression about countries like Pakistan. All the more reason the stories going out should show more than just one face of the nation.

But the reality is, that there is extremely limited interaction of the foreign media with the ‘real’ Pakistan, with global headquarters dictating what should and shouldn’t be news.

In a country of 170 million, only a handful of ‘key’ persons are introduced to a journalist’s brief international posting. Most of those belong to the elite English-speaking and civil and state bureaucracy. Its not newsworthy enough to venture into other more mundane areas like the informal economy, agriculture, performing arts or local initiatives. Frankly, if its not related to terrorism, its not a story. So what ends up is a life primarily ensconced in Islamabad, mixing with the movers and shakers. There is not even a meager attempt to visit the nether regions of the country to show the world how we really live, both good and bad. Last I checked, journalism was about breaking boundaries, leaving your comfort zone and opening minds to different ideas and opinions. I guess I haven’t checked the latest in a long time.

Even with the coverage of the current flooding, the focus remains on how inept our leaders are (which they are) and how aid is waiting to be mismanaged (which it is). But what about what many are trying to do single-handedly? Ever since the earthquake, if there is one thing Pakistanis (barring the feudal and political elite), have been known for, its plunging into the middle of a natural disaster to do all they can. Doesn’t the world deserve to see that side of us for a change? And then they say we suffer from an international ‘image deficit.’

The perception is further fuelled by the presence of the international diplomatic community, supposedly to ‘foster meaningful relations’ and ‘help end poverty.’ The goodwill doesn’t reach further than the diplomatic enclave as its so much easier to spend money sitting in a cubicle surrounded by barbed wire and your very own panic room. After all, that’s how they do it in Afghanistan and Iraq and see how much good its doing there.

So despite best intentions, the perspective remains skewed, to the networks (and its representatives) benefit, but to our own detriment. The slap in the face is a foreign correspondents ‘observation’ of (a very politicised) Pakistan, in hardback edition. Three years in a city, and they know the country better than we do apparently.

Journalism unfortunately, is now a well-paid job that can get you around the world, complete with furnished homes, domestic staff and your very own ‘king of the hill’ attitude.

But the mediocrity and one-dimensionality of live international broadcasts from residential rooftops in Islamabad, does eventually show through. Case in point – a message sent out to all invitees last year by one foreign correspondent after a high-profile suicide bombing in Islamabad, in response to a scheduled party hosted by another foreign journalist in the same area that night: “if we cancel the party, the terrorists have won.” Senseless loss of life right outside your doorstep, but the party must go on. Now that’s what I call true dedication to the cause of journalism.

I guess they don’t make them like Robert Fisk anymore.

Themrise Khan is a freelance social development consultant based in Karachi who occasionally dares to venture into the Pakistani media.

The Dawn Blog Blog Archive Foreign media-ocrity

Last edited:
The bottom line was that the war on terror was the only news that was worthy of the presence of almost 100 foreign journalists in Islamabad. Nothing else figured on the agenda. No economics, no culture, no society, no people, except for those affected by the suicide bombings and drone attacks, or those displaced by army action in the tribal areas and lately, by natural disasters.

This is something I observed a couple of years ago listening to the coverage of Iraq (before the Surge and swing back to some semblance of control), and have noticed it ever since. While the Western media portrayal of Pakistan places it pretty much at the level of Iraq, Somalia and Afghanistan, they rarely touch upon the vibrant cultural, music, art, fashion and media scene in the country.

Iraq gets a single Arab-Western garage band, a poet, female singers and musicians, and there are segments on them all over the US media illustrating how much 'progress' Iraq is making. Forget the fact that this stuff is pretty much routine in Pakistan - we have had countless female artists in every field from music and movies to the media.

Poverty rates in Pakistan, while often referred to with the dismissive 'nation with abject poverty' ignores the fact that historically our poverty rates have been lower than India, and nowhere close to many countries in Africa or Afghanistan etc. The WB recently confirmed in fact that Pakistan had managed to drop poverty to around 17% in 2007-08, almost half of India's, before the global financial crises hit.

The Pakistani economy, while small compared to other large nations, is nonetheless diverse and sustains a large workforce and population.

Its amazing how none of this makes it into the Western news, especially when one Iraqi rock band or Afghan TV music contest makes waves for weeks on end in the Western media.

Poverty rates in Pakistan, while often referred to with the dismissive 'nation with abject poverty' ignores the fact that historically our poverty rates have been lower than India, and nowhere close to many countries in Africa or Afghanistan etc. The WB recently confirmed in fact that Pakistan had managed to drop poverty to around 17% in 2007-08, almost half of India's, before the global financial crises hit.

Pakistani members would then blame Indian members for ruining every thread. The article didnt even mention India anywhere and yet you couldnt resist bringing India into it for the sake of comparison. The truth is that even as a Mod and an experienced forum member you cant resist the temptation of taking a pot-shot, how do you expect others to exercise restraint?

Now just wait for the deluge and then get ready to do the cleaning after the trolls arrive.

Pakistani members would then blame Indian members for ruining every thread. The article didnt even mention India anywhere and yet you couldnt resist bringing India into it for the sake of comparison. The truth is that even as a Mod and an experienced forum member you cant resist the temptation of taking a pot-shot, how do you expect others to exercise restraint?

Now just wait for the deluge and then get ready to do the cleaning after the trolls arrive.

The comparison was necessary given the coverage and resort to 'nation in abject poverty' quotes and sound-bytes inserted into almost every print and TV report on Pakistan.

There is nothing the comparison 'ruins', since it reports a fact to highlight the distorted coverage Pakistan gets. I didn't 'bash India', I didn't ridicule it for its poverty rates - i merely pointed out how the 17% number racks up next to the nation the Western media itself often compares Pakistan to, and likes to point out as 'prosperous' while painting an abysmal picture of Pakistan that ignores everything I pointed out. In fact notice how I also contrasted the coverage of the Iraqi and Afghan cultural scenes with that of the coverage of Pakistan.

The only thread hijacking being done here is by you who chose to highlight one specific thing out of the entire post. Stick to the topic next time please.

The comparison was necessary given the coverage and resort to 'nation in abject poverty' quotes and sound-bytes inserted into almost every print and TV report on Pakistan.

There is nothing the comparison 'ruins', since it reports a fact to highlight the distorted coverage Pakistan gets. I didn't 'bash India', I didn't ridicule it for its poverty rates - i merely pointed out how the 17% number racks up next to the nation the Western media itself often compares Pakistan to, and likes to point out as 'prosperous' while painting an abysmal picture of Pakistan that ignores everything I pointed out. In fact notice how I also contrasted the coverage of the Iraqi and Afghan cultural scenes with that of the coverage of Pakistan.

The only thread hijacking being done here is by you who chose to highlight one specific thing out of the entire post. Stick to the topic next time please.

I chose to highlight it as I saw it as an attempt to polish one case by showing the other as inferior. And frankly it reeked of an innate sense of injustice at events and maybe even jealousy.

But talking about the topic, the article is correct to a large extent. Its usually the negative that gets more attention. Pakistan and its media can surely do a better PR job and the onus lies on them.

I chose to highlight it as I saw it as an attempt to polish one case by showing the other as inferior. And frankly it reeked of an innate sense of injustice at events and maybe even jealousy.
Your insecurities are your problem - when there was absolutely nothing in my post ridiculing India or its poverty rates, why make a big deal out of it? It was one line pointing out how the West focuses so much on Pakistan's poverty, without even trying to present it in the context of regional poverty rates or poverty rates in similarly developing nations.

There is no 'polishing' going on here. I didn't concoct those figures or embellish them, or even dig them up - the World Bank reported them. The West resorts to soundbytes and one liners of 'nation in abject poverty' non-stop, and pointing out the WB report on poverty in Pakistan and historic poverty levels, in contrast to a nation the West covers very favorably, is completely relevant - this thread is after all about the skewed coverage of Pakistan in the West. And how can one illustrate coverage is skewed without contrasting it with the coverage of other similar nations?
But talking about the topic, the article is correct to a large extent. Its usually the negative that gets more attention. Pakistan and its media can surely do a better PR job and the onus lies on them.
Audiences in the West do not watch Pakistani media, they watch Western media, so blaming the Pakistani media for overwhelmingly negative Western media coverage and attitudes is not correct. The Pakistani media can certainly improve their coverage, but its not like they do not cover the local art, fashion and music scenes. Programs like Coke Studio exist because the media does focus on that aspect of Pakistani society as well.

Pakistanis, for the most part, don't look at music bands, female artists, politicians and entrepreneurs as some 'big deal'. This has been occurring in Pakistan for a long time, but apparently this is a big deal for the Western media, and they need to get out of their shells and actually look at everything right in front of their noses in Pakistan, instead of having tunnel vision focused on the next terrorist attack or deprived family they can use to highlight Pakistan's 'plight'.

Last edited:
A classic example of the surge as mentioned in the article is the recent reporting regarding the 'goodies' done by the Army and the inept attitude by the govt during the flood crisis thus portraying the Army as 'more powerful', 'still powerful' and 'omnipotent' when it comes to (national) decision making.

Moreover, the crying over the (minute) fact where upon the void created by the mismanagement by the govt would (by hook or crook) be filled by the Talibans (not the word Taliban - though there are other similes that could have been substituted), another instance that portrays Pakistan in bad light and undermines the effort/sacrifice made by its people and the military to counter the menace that threatened the world itself.

i would call it 'preping' and softening the target.

It's a known fact that Pakistan military is powerful compared to Government. In fact, one of the reason given for inability of funds with the Government during this crisis is the over expenditure of aid on arms rather than development.

Also, it is a given fact that Taliban and its supporting element like JuD/LeT have used these relief activities to mass recruit their members.

There is a systemic failure in Pakistan and this natural calamity has highlighted it. One has to agree that it is really not a good sign to ask the foreign countries for aid expressing its inability to provide funds for relief.

Your insecurities are your problem - when there was absolutely nothing in my post ridiculing India or its poverty rates, why make a big deal out of it? It was one line pointing out how the West focuses so much on Pakistan's poverty, without even trying to present it in the context of regional poverty rates or poverty rates in similarly developing nations.

There is no 'polishing' going on here. I didn't concoct those figures or embellish them, or even dig them up - the World Bank reported them. The West resorts to soundbytes and one liners of 'nation in abject poverty' non-stop, and pointing out the WB report on poverty in Pakistan and historic poverty levels, in contrast to a nation the West covers very favorably, is completely relevant - this thread is after all about the skewed coverage of Pakistan in the West. And how can one illustrate coverage is skewed without contrasting it with the coverage of other similar nations?

Funny you talk about insecurities, since comparing yourself with your arch-enemy is hardly seen as a sign of confidence.

Audiences in the West do not watch Pakistani media, they watch Western media, so blaming the Pakistani media for overwhelming Western media coverage and attitudes is not correct. The Pakistani media can certainly improve their coverage, but its not like they do not cover the local art, fashion and music scenes. Programs like Coke Studio exist because the media does focus on that aspect of Pakistani society as well.

Pakistanis, for the most part, don't look at music bands, female artists, politicians and entrepreneurs as some 'big deal'. This has been occurring in Pakistan for a long time, but apparently this is a big deal for the Western media, and they need to get out of their shells and actually look at everything right in front of their noses in Pakistan, instead of having tunnel vision focused on the next terrorist attack or deprived family they can use to highlight Pakistan's 'plight'.

This is where Pakistani media and GoP can play a big role. Bring forward those stories of culture, society and music. Maybe its not a big deal for the average Pakistani but its is for the average white guy reading the news. If the foreign media isnt interested in showcasing them then are you going to complain about it or push your case and correct your image? Though the foreign media is to blame I dont absolve the Pak media and GoP of the blame either.

Pick up any article on India from the west and you will see a picture of a cow on the road, a child laborer, a garbage can and what not. They are also quick to point out the economic divide among the masses. Is there truth in it? Absolutely!!! While many of us Indians, do not like it there is ample truth in most reports.
For a country making rapid strides economically, making a mark in science and technology, etc etc, its only natural that it gets attention on the positives as well...its not true that the negatives of India are not portrayed...and similarly its irrelevant when India's poverty is used for the millionth time to bring out some positives of Pakistan. The relevant topics on Pakistan, in the western media today are very rarely on Pakistan's economy, so where and why should India be dragged in that report to say "India is poor"???

It's a known fact that Pakistan military is powerful compared to Government. In fact, one of the reason given for inability of funds with the Government during this crisis is the over expenditure of aid on arms rather than development.

Would you please like to prove your points through some acceptable sources or do you want your posts labeled as a rant?

May be you are fed too much BS on BR.com.

Also, it is a given fact that Taliban and its supporting element like JuD/LeT have used these relief activities to mass recruit their members
And that would make everyone whom they have fed and clothed a terrorists, right?

BTW, allow me to enlighten you, terrorist organizations mainly rely on motivation and/or subjugation to recruit their men. They dont so by feeding them. If that had been the case, by now after the earth quack of 2005 and the one that engulfed Balochistan, half of Pakistan should have been inside JuD.

Though, issues like occupation of Kashmir by your military definitely fuel and allow mass recruitment by these organizations. Anywaz, forget it, may it it's too hard for you to understand or else Mumbai shouldn't have happened.

There is a systemic failure in Pakistan and this natural calamity has highlighted it. One has to agree that it is really not a good sign to ask the foreign countries for aid expressing its inability to provide funds for relief.
Rant!

And your point is about biased media coverage? Seriously, you got to be kidding me!

Kidding? Sir you dont worth it.

BTW, i am still looking for this news to appear in a western reputable news link. Wonder why it isnt there yet.

Though, issues like occupation of Kashmir by your military definitely fuel and allow mass recruitment by these organizations. Anywaz, forget it, may it it's too hard for you to understand or else Mumbai shouldn't have happened.

Rant!

So Mumbai happened because of India occupation of Kashmir.. What is the reason then behind the weekly blasts in Pakistan? Couldnt be P0K..Right?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom