What's new

Forbes: India Should Come Up With A Better Plan For Sri Lanka Or Send A Thank You Note To China

Why would India & Japan invest in a Chinese controlled port?

India could develop Colombo, Trinco, KKS ports: Arjuna
2017-03-31 13:28:01

image_1490954434-2fd4066d4c.jpg
Though China is deeply rooted in Hambantota port, Sri Lanka has three other major ports in Colombo, Trincomalee and Kankesanthurai where India could collaborate for development, Ports and Shipping Minister Arjuna Ranatunga has said.

According to Z News, Minister Ranatunga has said the government was looking at an Asian subcontinent investor to partner with the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) to invest and take over the East Container Terminal (of Colombo port) in private-public partnership mode.

"India has shown interest in the East Terminal and Colombo port. Seventy-five per cent of the trans-shipment goes to India. India is looking at getting a stake in Colombo port. There are a couple of private companies that came and spoke, and we will look at them in a positive manner," he has told IANS on the sidelines of an international event held in Dakhla.

According to reports, the state-run Container Corporation of India (Concor) has formed a consortium with APM Terminals B V, John Keells Holdings and Maersk Line to bid for the development of East Container Terminal in Colombo. The total project value is likely to be about $550-600 million.

The South Terminal of the Colombo port is already owned and operated by state-run China Merchant Holdings (International).

Colombo Port is the busiest in Sri Lanka and ranks among the top 35 ports in the world.

Minister Ranatunga said that India is also "very keen" on Trincomalee Port. He said a Singaporean company, Subarna Jurong, is doing a feasibility report on developing the Trincomalee port city, while the Asian Development Bank is covering the port development project.

"India has shown big interest in Trincomalee, as there are petroleum tanks there, and the Indian Oil Corporation has been there for many years," he said.

Lanka IOC, a unit of the Indian Oil Corporation, maintains several oil tanks at the Trincomalee tank farm.

Ranatunga said the feasibility report would be submitted in three months, and the government would take a call after that.

"We shall be calling for tenders. The government will decide," he said, on the sidelines of the Crans Montana Forum on Africa and South-South Cooperation in Dakhla where he also presented a paper.

Asked if China would bid for Trincomalee, he said: "I think China is very much settled in Hambantota. China Merchant Group has a container terminal in Colombo and they are quite comfortable with Hambantota."

He said Sri Lanka is also looking to develop the Kankesanthurai port in the north. "It is quite close to India. It is not a container port, it will be more for transportation, for cement and people."

- See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/I...ports-Arjuna-126559.html#sthash.SN669hvM.dpuf

Seriously there is too much thinking in Indians mind that how to keep BD and SL in their sphere of influence and counter China. It imperative for both BD and SL to not poke India, remember China is too far away from either countries.

He is a Nepali but lived most of his adult life in India if we take into account the modern borders. Other than that he's just a Kshatriya prince who went in quest for escaping suffering.

Irrelevant. Buddhism was brought to Sri Lanka from the kingdom of Maghada. India has nothing to do with it unless of course claiming the historical territories of the Maghada kingdom.

For all practical purposes Buddha is considered an Indian. Most of his adult life when he preached Buddhism is in India.

The kingdom of Maghada has not existed for 2000+ years. For all practical purposes it is India

This is historical irredentism at the worst

Why would India & Japan invest in a Chinese controlled port?

India could develop Colombo, Trinco, KKS ports: Arjuna
2017-03-31 13:28:01

image_1490954434-2fd4066d4c.jpg
Though China is deeply rooted in Hambantota port, Sri Lanka has three other major ports in Colombo, Trincomalee and Kankesanthurai where India could collaborate for development, Ports and Shipping Minister Arjuna Ranatunga has said.

According to Z News, Minister Ranatunga has said the government was looking at an Asian subcontinent investor to partner with the Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) to invest and take over the East Container Terminal (of Colombo port) in private-public partnership mode.

"India has shown interest in the East Terminal and Colombo port. Seventy-five per cent of the trans-shipment goes to India. India is looking at getting a stake in Colombo port. There are a couple of private companies that came and spoke, and we will look at them in a positive manner," he has told IANS on the sidelines of an international event held in Dakhla.

According to reports, the state-run Container Corporation of India (Concor) has formed a consortium with APM Terminals B V, John Keells Holdings and Maersk Line to bid for the development of East Container Terminal in Colombo. The total project value is likely to be about $550-600 million.

The South Terminal of the Colombo port is already owned and operated by state-run China Merchant Holdings (International).

Colombo Port is the busiest in Sri Lanka and ranks among the top 35 ports in the world.

Minister Ranatunga said that India is also "very keen" on Trincomalee Port. He said a Singaporean company, Subarna Jurong, is doing a feasibility report on developing the Trincomalee port city, while the Asian Development Bank is covering the port development project.

"India has shown big interest in Trincomalee, as there are petroleum tanks there, and the Indian Oil Corporation has been there for many years," he said.

Lanka IOC, a unit of the Indian Oil Corporation, maintains several oil tanks at the Trincomalee tank farm.

Ranatunga said the feasibility report would be submitted in three months, and the government would take a call after that.

"We shall be calling for tenders. The government will decide," he said, on the sidelines of the Crans Montana Forum on Africa and South-South Cooperation in Dakhla where he also presented a paper.

Asked if China would bid for Trincomalee, he said: "I think China is very much settled in Hambantota. China Merchant Group has a container terminal in Colombo and they are quite comfortable with Hambantota."

He said Sri Lanka is also looking to develop the Kankesanthurai port in the north. "It is quite close to India. It is not a container port, it will be more for transportation, for cement and people."

- See more at: http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/I...ports-Arjuna-126559.html#sthash.SN669hvM.dpuf

I am not sure what is the point of these development projects. It is utterly inefficient to be shipping things to Sri Lanka and then ship it to India or anywhere else

I hope Sri Lankans came up with better ideas for their economic development

So now Indus Valley Civilization exists? Progress, at last. :omghaha:

For your next lesson, read my post until the message sinks into your numbskull brain:

Pakistan is indeed the cradle of civilization, be it the oldest site of human habitation in South Asia, and one of the oldest outside of Africa, in Rawat (Read) and its successor Soanian (Read) or the earliest human settlements such as Mehrgarh (Read) and one of the earliest civilisations like Indus Valley Civilisation. They are all in Pakistan, or ancient Pakistan. What is Indian?! The word itself is English and imposed on you by British.

And the word Hindu is Persian in origin, a mispronunciation of Sindhu — a hallmark of people of Sindh. The Sindhi people live in the Sindh province of Pakistan. Try to take pride in your own Ganga culture, not the high culture of Indus and its people.

Source

Of course IVC existed. It is both in India & Pakistan. Claiming sole ownership is problematic.

Assuming the IVC is the oldest in South Asia why is Pakistan the cradle of civilization ? I assume you are aware that the IVC got wiped out and no historian knows why. No one knows what their script means. For all we know it is a dead civilization that went the way of Dodos.

BTW Chinese civilization & Middle East civilizations predate the IVC.

The Ganges accounts for 40% of India's area. The rest of Indian civilizations are not from the Ganges.
Tamil civilization is 2500 years old. Tamil is spoken today unlike your undecipherable IVC language.

Of course IVC existed. It is both in India & Pakistan. Claiming sole ownership is problematic.

Assuming the IVC is the oldest in South Asia why is Pakistan the cradle of civilization ? I assume you are aware that the IVC got wiped out and no historian knows why. No one knows what their script means. For all we know it is a dead civilization that went the way of Dodos.

Dodo brain, all that conjecturing and mental gymnastics without a shred of evidence. Meanwhile, you only have to pickup a map to see where Rawat, Soan, Mehrgarh (the precursor to IVC) is located. They are all in Pakistan. Likewise, all the major hub of IVC is in Pakistan barring few minor satellites. What is Indian here? Nothing. Even the word 'India' is English.

Now stop derailing the thread and stick to the topic.

BTW Chinese civilization & Middle East civilizations predate the IVC.

So?

The Ganges accounts for 40% of India's area. The rest of Indian civilizations are not from the Ganges.
Tamil civilization is 2500 years old. Tamil is spoken today unlike your undecipherable IVC language.

Then have some self-respect and follow your Tamil culture instead of IVC.

Again, stop derailing the thread and stick to the topic.

Last edited:
Dodo brain, all that conjecturing and mental gymnastics without a shred of evidence. Meanwhile, you only have to pickup a map to see where Rawat, Soan, Mehrgarh (the precursor to IVC) is located. They are all in Pakistan. Likewise, all the major hub of IVC is in Pakistan barring few minor satellites. What is Indian here? Nothing. Even the word 'India' is English.

Now stop derailing the thread and stick to the topic.

So?

Then have some self-respect and follow your Tamil culture instead of IVC.

Again, stop derailing the thread and stick to the topic.

There is nothing Pakistani about IVC other than the geography. There are a lot of IVC sites in East Punjab.
Chinese and Middle East civilization is older than IVC. You made the claim otherwise

India did not exist 2000+ years. It was created by British colonial rulers

India is a top civilizational state and its boundaries are clearly mentioned in Puranas. You guys have no idea about India but still try to rant what ever you want.
2000 years ago there is no Islam or Pakistan, shall we go back 2000 years back?
what is the purpose of creating fake identity with false flag and pollute Indian section?

what is the purpose of creating fake identity with false flag and pollute Indian section?

Why dont you respond to my statement. You cannot, Because I am 100% right. India was created by British, It should have been disbanded when British left in 1947

India is a top civilizational state and its boundaries are clearly mentioned in Puranas. You guys have no idea about India but still try to rant what ever you want.

What part of don't derail the thread don't you understand? Is this topic about "civilizational state"? What does it have to do with the Forbes article? Stop trolling and move along.

There is nothing Pakistani about IVC other than the geography.

Geography is all that matters hence they are all Pakistani. If its not about geography then Tamils, or Indians, can lay claim to Egyptian pyramids or French revolution.

Chinese and Middle East civilization is older than IVC. You made the claim otherwise

You're wrong. I never even mentioned anything remotely related to Chinese or Middle East civilisation.

Now that your concerns have been clarified, kindly stick to the topic. Don't derail the thread with aimless ramblings.

Why dont you respond to my statement. You cannot, Because I am 100% right. India was created by British, It should have been disbanded when British left in 1947
I have answered your question , you need to read my post before answering like a brain washed person.

Lankans are Smarter for they will milk India and China at the same time !! China has a pretty messy backyard for its own and the opportunity can be tapped to India's favor should the Chinese start playing around in the Indian Ocean for long.

India did not exist 2000+ years. It was created by British colonial rulers
Indian civilization existed for 2000+ years. The unitary state of India might not have been there.

British did not create Republic of India. British left India, Pakistan and 600 princely states

What part of don't derail the thread don't you understand? Is this topic about "civilizational state"? What does it have to do with the Forbes article? Stop trolling and move along.

Geography is all that matters hence they are all Pakistani. If its not about geography then Tamils, or Indians, can lay claim to Egyptian pyramids or French revolution.

You're wrong. I never even mentioned anything remotely related to Chinese or Middle East civilisation.

Now that your concerns have been clarified, kindly stick to the topic. Don't derail the thread with aimless ramblings.

You said IVC is oldest civilization outside of Africa. That is incorrect

Geography is not 100% determinant of ownership

How many of Pakistani missiles are after Pakistanis ? Most of them are named after Afghans
how many of the hindu rulers who ruled pakistan are in Pakistani history books ?

Indian civilization existed for 2000+ years.

The concept of Indian civilization did not exist at all in the South. Nowhere you will find mention of Indian civilization in Tamil literature until 1900. But plenty of reference to Tamil civilization, culture.

The concept of Indian civilization did not exist at all in the South. Nowhere you will find mention of Indian civilization in Tamil literature until 1900. But plenty of reference to Tamil civilization, culture.

indian civilization is a composite of tamil civilization. a lot of your nitpicking are irrelevant because Tamils have assimilated into the Indian body politic

indian civilization is a composite of tamil civilization. a lot of your nitpicking are irrelevant because Tamils have assimilated into the Indian body politic

Why was there no mention of Indian civilization in Tamil literature until 1900. But there are references to Roman and Greek civilizations 2000 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom