What's new

Flood Response

1661700252705.png

Medics call for immediate steps to prevent disease outbreaks

Ashfaq Yusufzai
August 28, 2022

PESHAWAR: The health department has established camps to provide emergency health relief to people in flood-hit districts amid calls by medics for the provision of clean drinking water, essential medicines and proper shelter to the disaster victims to prevent the outbreak of diseases caused by the use of contaminated water and foods.

Prof Khalid Mahmood, a former physician at the Lady Reading Hospital (LRH) Peshawar, told Dawn that the flood-hit areas were vulnerable to the spread of cholera, typhoid, leptospirosis, hepatitis A and E, malaria, dengue fever and snake bites.

“Lack of access to safe drinking water, improper sanitation, over crowded camps and scarcity of health care services has a compounding effect after floodwater recedes. The flood also affects the food supply chain negatively leading to malnutrition and stunted growth in children,” he said.

According to Prof Mahmood, the natural disasters cannot be prevented but their impacts can be mitigated by ensuring provision of reasonable cover/housing, uninterrupted safe drinking water, nutritious and hygienic food, controlling disease vector like mosquitoes, vaccination and snake-bite prevention measures.

Health dept sets up camps to offer emergency care

CEO of the Health Net Hospital Prof Syed Amjad Taqweem said the people in the calamity-hit areas were at the risk of being bitten by animals and reptiles.

He said evacuation of patients also increased disease burden in addition to loss of health workers, infrastructure and essential drugs and supplies, so immediate steps should be taken to prevent the spread of diseases among vulnerable people.

Prof Amjad said an increase in food and water-borne diseases such as diarrhea, dysentery, food poisoning, typhoid fever, cholera, leptospirosis and hepatitis A and E was common in flood victims.

He said vector-borne diseases, such as malaria, and dengue hemorrhagic fever could be controlled by sheltering them properly tents with availability of clean water, dry food, plastic shoes and other materials to remain intact in water.

Ground reality in Sindh

Sindh is far from Islamabad so they don't hear the voices of people on ground the judge in Islamabad and police don't hear the cries of people

People will steal the Aid, Govt will eat most of foreign aid, people will increase the cost of everything from Tents to medicines, and than we will ask Allah for help... yeah right

Look forward to Honorable Imran Khan Telethon or online Payment System , run and operated by Imran Khan's charity only

I saw the Edhi Sahib's charity today they were charging Donation in Rupee figure unsure if my credit card will work on the Edhi Foundation Site will try it anyways

Will donate once to Edhi Foundation and once under Imran Khan's Telethon or online Donation drive for "FOREIGN FUNDING"

Sindh-Balochistan- Punjab-KPK - KASHMIR is for all Pakistani citizen

Death toll breaches 1,030 mark as floods wreak havoc​

119 people have been reported dead in the past 24 hours with at least 70 injured

News Desk
August 28, 2022

Floods continued to devastate the country on Sunday, particularly the provinces of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) and Balochistan leaving at least 119 people dead and more than 70 injured in the past 24 hours.

Floods have claimed over 1,030 lives, with 74 deaths reported in Sindh, 31 in K-P, six in Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B), four in Balochistan, and one in Punjab and Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK).

According to the data released by the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), 32 children, 56 men and nine women are among those who died in the flood after the rains, while the number of victims has reached 5.77 million.

Over the past 24 hours, nearly 0.95 million houses and 0.72 million livestock were flooded while 0.27 million houses were destroyed and 3,116 kilometres of highways and 149 bridges were washed away.

According to sources, 0.49 million people in Sindh, 0.45 million in Punjab, and 0.36 million in Balochistan have been affected by floods.

Problem with Edhi's website
This form actually does not works because the website has error in IE

They must be loosing alot of Donation due to this Engineering fault

I actually noticed it in Ramzan period surprised no one has told them about it

Like how the ..... am I suppose to fill the form or any donor ? If this from is covered with menu layer

I have noticed this URL is setup for North American donors
There is a bug on donation form , I had problem using this form
EdhiFoundation.jpg

and also there is a Pakistan based site URL https://donate.edhi.org/
This is working use this even if you are in North America donate directly

EdhiDonation2.png

Last edited:
The situation is extremely critical in Swat, no one can do nothing just we are sitting, watching and praying. it is far more worse than it was in 2010
With winter approaching it is a race against time. Pakistan army and Pakistan civil organisations must be fully mobilised, time is critical to prevent exasperating the humanitarian disaster.

For those in the west/US and working for western multinational, take a look at Helping Hands. They have a corporate matching program which will double your donations in 90 days. Your donated money will go to Pakistan flood relief immediately and then after 90 days, your participating corporation's donation would also find its way into flood relief:

Sadqa and Zakat are both acceptable.

We'll be donating money as well. My mother & I.

But we cannot continue this indefinitely. Begging for aid; especially in a country of too many people. With less people, less would be affected.

100% Trust
EDHI And IMRAN KHAN is what I trust in Pakistan

Edhi Foundation Site (Pakistan Based URL )
https://donate.edhi.org/

Use credit card , fast and easy experience make sure to correctly select your resident country while donating (foreign country)

Working for me charged me in Pakistani Rupees but was able to use my Credit card normally (THE FOREIGN FUNDING CARD)

I could not use the US based URL as the website has error in it (see my previous post)

Tested a small donation amount seems to work fine

Will inshallah donate proper amount later

EdhiDonation1.png

Will also Donate under Honorable Imran Khan's Name as well who I trust as Pakistani Citizen (I am Citizen of Pakistan who according to PDM can't vote huh ? )

Last edited:

One of Pakistan's southern provinces, Sindh, is bracing itself for worse to come as the country deals with catastrophic floods.

Deluges from swollen rivers are heading for lower-lying areas, officials say, threatening more misery for millions.

The floods have killed nearly 1,000 people across Pakistan since June, while thousands have been displaced - and millions more affected.

In Sindh, the message in every village the BBC visited was: "Send help."

In this province - which has a population of almost 50 million - there has been a little reprieve from the rains. But it will take more than a few days of sunshine to make life right again.

This year's floods have been devastating - and their impact is far from being fully realised.

The infrastructure was already basic in many rural communities. Many of the roads are not tarred, and some bridges are worn out after years of little maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom