What's new

First Typhoon "Shot Down"?

^ I think it is true to the some extent. However, some of the things have been switched to heavy electronic counter measures, which will be effective in the air warfare. The one which has the most effective one, and succeeds in working it, will probably win.

Hi Con,

So, in other words a JF 17 may take out an SU 30's from a distance after being integrated with a highly sophisticated system and a high tech BVR missile. That is a very exciting analysis and it is good to know that an underdog carrying a big punch can knock off the mighty with the right kind of support.

You know what, it looks very good on the paper, but I would not bet my life on it.

Very much possible, provided the necessary support system are present. It is the missiles which kills the targets,not the aircrafts. JF-17 and SU-30 both can get a shot at each other and then it is up to the ECM & pilot ability to dodge the incoming missile.

But as I said "provided the necessary support system are present". In a conflict IAF will try to knock off the AWACS first,thereby reducing the area PAF can see.The trump card of SU30 are their powerful radars.It can vector other aircrafts,which is close to take a shot at JF-17 or position itself on the blind side of JF-17's radar,jam JF-17's radar etc. Finally it boils down to tactics and this requires that you know where the enemy is and helps a lot if your enemy does not know where you are.

Most of the Gulf War shot down pilots did not know what hit them.This shows how investing in gaining high level of battlefield visibility helps.

I think ECCM and ECM will play an important role in future combats. My Grand Uncle was WWI pilot who use to use a revolver in dog fights.

Salaams,

Yes, I agree with you MastanKhan with that point.

However you have to be reasonable. Lets suppose you had the best dogfighter pilot in the whole entire world, in a World War 1 plane, Versing a F-22. Do you think that pilot would even stand a chance. Its also about the Capibilities the plane hosts. Still however the pilot training is more important than the capbilities of a plane...

I think the best Dog fighter would win. The WWI wooden plane would have the same RCS as a bird and F 22 pilot would fire a BVR from 100 miles away.

Hi Con,

I agree with most of what you wrote. Technology is indeed a great equalizer and bigger will always not be better, but one thing cannot be taken away from these larger dragons. They are big, they are very powerful, they can carry a larger payload, a bigger radar and a very very intimidating physical factor.

After all is said and done, things change immediately when the threat level is enhanced. On a one on one, a smaller plane fires a bvr at a larger plane from 50 miles away, there is enough time for that plane to avoid the oncoming threat and take evasive actions. Also, the kill ratio is low from the maximum firing distances. The problem for the bigger plane will occur when it is facing multiple threats from different sources at the same time,a smaller fighter plane with a very low rcs slips through the quadrant to make its mark.

The reason that most of the gulf war pilots didnot know when they died was their obsolete radars. Three to seven miles detection radius against an oncoming phoenix missile travelling at 3000 mph----there is no reaction time here. 1001---By the time the threat sound comes on and registers on the pilots brain to do something, he had already died from the missile strike.

Marketing is another point. IDEAF (israel) is nor supernatural the best but in the arab arena there is none better. One can change that into the arabs fly that bad that a small nation like Israel (heavily supported by USA and Europe) will win as usual... The ISraeli use their simple winnings as being supernatural but as we know it depends on lots of variables...

Back
Top Bottom