What's new

First Israeli M-346 Lavi rolled out

2132756.jpg

0863765.jpg

Failed to see: Don't necessarily limit attack duties to exploding ordnance. EW might be another possible role.?
Meanwhile, all i STARTED OUT WITH WAS: Interesting to see what the IAF will do with these jets over the coming years > problems with that???!!!??
I don't know why are you so angry about what I said.

EW role? Possible, but very unlikely. Attack duties - absolutely no way.

I don't know why are you so angry about what I said.

EW role? Possible, but very unlikely. Attack duties - absolutely no way.

yeah i think so too, Israel for so long has been utilized their jet trainer as their dedicated trainer nothing more than that

But i can get what Penguin want to say

Israel has done interesting things with pretty much all jets it's airforce has received. I am curious what they will do with this here little jet over the long run, what it might lead to in Israeli service, or with involvement of Israeli defence industry in the Italian program.

This aircraft ... is the outgrowth of a joint program with Russia that also produced the very similar Yak-130, which is Russia’s next generation trainer and light attack aircraft. Unlike the Yak-130, however, the M346 is only a jet trainer; its light attack version is “under development.”
Poland’s New Advanced Jet Trainer: M-346 Wins
The new advanced trainer aircraft the M-346 Alenia Aermacchi at IDEX 2011Â -Â Army Recognition

From the beginning of the program, the M-346 has been conceived with additional operational capabilities, with the goal of providing a very capable multirole combat aircraft, particularly suited to ground and surface attack roles including CAS (Close Air Support), COIN (COunter INsurgency) or anti-ship missions as well as air police missions. Among the characteristics which make the M-346 an effective combat platform are:
  • the structure designed to carry up to three tons of various weapons
  • nine stores stations
  • an aerodynamic configuration which allows the integration of a wide range of external stores
  • provision for multi-mode radar
  • survivability built-in to the aircraft basic design
  • large fuel capacity for enhanced combat persistence
  • remarkable speed and maneuverability even when fully armed or with one engine inoperative
http://www.aleniaaermacchi.it/en-US/Media/Lists/ProductBrochures-Brochures/M-346.pdf
at M-346

Last edited:
Can you plz write more about this issue, it is interesting !
The Israeli Air Force operated a license-manufactured version, the IAI Tzukit. While principally a trainer, it was used in the 1967 Six Day War by 147 Squadron as a close support aircraft, attacking targets on the Egyptian front during the first day of the war, when Israel's more capable combat aircraft were deployed on Operation Focus against Arab air bases.[5] They were then deployed against Jordanian forces, including armour, on the West Bank. The Magister proved effective at the close-support mission albeit with heavy casualties, with six being lost.[6]
Fouga CM.170 Magister - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Israeli Air Force operated over 80 examples of the Magister, 7 of which were lost in action.
Despite having the most rudimentary of armaments, in 1964 the flight school Fougas were nonetheless organized into a fighting squadron, to act as a fighting force in case of hostilities. The Fougas got to prove their combat effectiveness shortly later. On the eve of the 1967 Six-Days war, 44 Flight School Magisters were allocated to actively take part in the fighting, manned by school instructors as well as IAF long time reservists and even cadets on their advanced training.
The Fougas with their cannons and light rockets and bombs were not designed for dealing with anti aircraft defences. On the outbreak of the war, however, the need arose for close combat air support for Israeli ground forces, and the Fougas had to play the part as none of the IAF's major fighting aircraft, such as the Mirage IIIC and Vautour, were available, being in the midst of operation "Moked". Even after such aircraft were available, later in the war, the Fougas continued to participate in the fighting, providing much needed support.
By the end of the war 6 pilots had been killed in action, 7 aircraft were lost, while Two Fouga pilots received commendations for their performance during the fighting. The type returned to its origianl role in the IAF's flight school, and was finally stripped of all its armament by the end of the 1960s
Fouga CM.170 Magister (IAI Zukit)

The Fouga Magister entered service with the IAF Flight Academy in 1960, and on November 1, 1961, 147 Squadron was reformed to operate the type during emergencies.[5]

The squadron was reactivated at Hatzerim in May 1967, on the eve of the Six Day War.[6] Commanded by Major Arieh Ben-Or, there were 44 aircraft and 42 pilots on hand on the morning of June 5, when Israel launched Operation Focus, the strike that started the war.
The squadron claimed 128 tanks destroyed during the war, 43 other armored vehicles, 292 lorries, 2 trains, 47 artillery pieces, and 4 anti-aircraft guns. 419 sorties had been flown and 4,384 rockets expended, including Egyptian stocks captured at the air base at El Arish. Slow, lightly armed, lacking both defensive armor and ejection seats, six Magisters and their pilots had been lost, including both the squadron leader and his deputy. Virtually every single aircraft suffered battle damage. The end of the war led to the deactivation of the squadron and the Fouga Magisters were henceforth restricted to the training role
147 Squadron (Israel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Israeli Air Force Museum Photo Gallery by xnir at pbase.com

Fouga_CM.170M_Magister_No.01Aeronavale_LeB_29.05.57_edited-2.jpg

The first CM.170M development aircraft for the Aéronavale at the Paris Air Show in May 1957

The Israelis obtained 52, with 36 built by Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI). The Israelis also put the Magister into combat, employing it for attacks during the June 1967 War. It was mainly used for diversions, or in combat emergencies when nothing else was available; its armament was mostly for weapons training, and it didn't really have the warload, performance, or survivability to be a very good combat weapon. Seven were lost in action.

The Israelis liked the Magister so much that they obtained Luftwaffe hand-me-downs, and in the 1980s about 80 of them were put through a significant upgrade program, conducted by the Bedek division of IAI. The "Advanced Multimission Improved Trainer (AMIT)" AKA "Tzukit (Thrush)" included ejection seats, improved avionics, and other modernized systems. The AMIT could not carry armament, but it was capable of performing the photo-reconnaissance mission. IAI Bedek promoted an upgrade program for Magisters operated by other nations, but there's little evidence there were any takers.
The Fouga Magister & Morane-Saulnier Paris

The Israeli Air Force

display_photo.file
MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (large flight of IAF magisters mid 1960s)

display_photo.file
MyAviation.net - Aviation Photo Gallery (pair of IAF magisters late 1950s)

The Israeli Air Force

Last edited:
Israel has some 60 F-16A/B. ALl of them are used as trainers, op force, research...
On a side note: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Israel also operate F-15s?

This new trainer, how many are going to be inducted, any idea? What's the time frame?

On a side note: Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Israel also operate F-15s?

This new trainer, how many are going to be inducted, any idea? What's the time frame?
Israel also operates F-16C/D/I's, as well as F-15's, but they aren't being used as trainers.

30 M-346 are going to be inducted and eventuallly will replace the A-4/TA-4's.
7 of them - in 2014, 18 - in 2015, and the rest in 2016.
PICTURES: First Israeli M-346 Lavi rolled out - 3/20/2014 - Flight Global

Yak-130 rip off

I never thought this would come, but yeah. M-346 was a jointly developed design between Yakovlev design Bureau and Alenia.

Any ideas why you two divorced?

And why is there so much price difference for a Yak-130 and an M-346?

Back
Top Bottom