What's new

First grade will learn English starting April 8 in KPK

In a country, where you cannot get Masters in Urdu Literature digree without passing english paper, its astonishing to see some people whining about this decision.

In a country, where you cannot get Masters in Urdu Literature digree without passing english paper, its astonishing to see some people whining about this decision.

Ask them to enroll their children to local language medium school first. BTW what happened to adopt a school program?

agreed. local language is the best medium of instruction. But the issue is that this must start from the top. If im taught everything in Urdu to the best of standards but i cannot pass the CSS exam because of the English barrier, its not worth the effort. Or if an english speaking student is preferred over an urdu speaking student in the private sector irrespective of his educational achievement, why adopt Urdu as a medium of instruction?

This is quite a problem; and this is why I say we need to develop our our languages so that University level education in those languages are not a problem! The reason English is used at a higher level of education is because local languages are seen as being "backwards" or unusable.

And you don't feel ashamed even a little bit? I'm sorry I have to use such harsh language, but I don't understand people who keep defending English. You say Urdu cannot be used as a language at University/Higher education level; I say why? Develop the language; every major language on earth is developed by language authorities and academics so that it's up to date with the new advancements in parlance.
Look at our own neighbors; Iranians use Farsi at higher education and their scientific output is one of the best. The Chinese most certainly don't use English to teach their students and even India in recent years are making a move towards improving Hindi/other languages and making them world class.

Anyways, before you people misunderstand, I do support this decision by PTI nonetheless. Education, for now be it in English, is really needed to move forward. But eventually there should be a shift towards Urdu (or Pashto, Punjabi, Sindhi etc if you like) as a medium of education.

Last edited:
And you don't feel ashamed even a little bit? I'm sorry I have to use such harsh language, but I don't understand people who keep defending English. You say Urdu cannot be used as a language at University/Higher education level; I say why? Develop the language; every major language on earth is developed by language authorities and academics so that it's up to date with the new advancements in parlance.
Look at our own neighbors; Iranians use Farsi at higher education and their scientific output is one of the best. The Chinese most certainly don't use English to teach their students and even India in recent years are making a move towards improving Hindi/other languages and making them world class.

Anyways, before you people misunderstand, I do support this decision by PTI nonetheless. Education, for now be it in English, is really needed to move forward. But eventually there should be a shift towards Urdu (or Pashto, Punjabi, Sindhi etc if you like) as a medium of education.

You took my post completely wrong dear. I never defended English and never said Urdu cannot be used as main language in University / for Higher education / in offices. I just said what the ground reality is. If everything is in English then what's wrong in taking steps to learn it properly?

Its federal govt who should decide on this, all provincial govt can do is act accordingly. Right now, there is no sign of Urdu becoming main language in universities or offices and its English right now. Hence I just supported the KP govt's move.

This is quite a problem; and this is why I say we need to develop our our languages so that University level education in those languages are not a problem! The reason English is used at a higher level of education is because local languages are seen as being "backwards" or unusable.

agreed.......

Actually no, English in most countries isn't taught as a foreign language; for example, in Japan it's considered mandatory in most schools. As for French, we're taught that in Canada, but it's considered domestic language, even though french is only spoken in Quebec. French is also considered a government langauge too, and you can't get a political office seat unless you speak both English and French.

English as a language of instruction is needed to be a success; Taiwanese, Korean, Turkish and Japanese are barely spoken outside of their respective nations, and companies that go international generally have to learn English, because it's the most widely spoken and common language in the world.

I'm not exaggerating the importance of English in Pakistan, as all government institutes are run in English. The official language of the government is English, most road signs also come in English. Most government run Pakistani government run schools teach English as a mandatory subject, I know, because I was taught in them.

Speaking English isn't surrendering your own language, your sense of logic is flawed. I speak English, French, Urdu, Punjabi and I started to learn Japanese before giving up, I can tell you right now that I didn't have to give up speaking one language to learn another. The fact that you're typing in English on this forum, and you having the ability to speak your own native language should prove that much.

I think you are mistaken. In Japan it is mandatory, but it is still taught as a foreign language. It is not a medium of instruction. I have a friend who teaches English in Japan.

You have just proved that instruction in English is not needed for success. All the countries you mentioned do not have English as a medium of instruction, yet their companies thrive. All English requirements can be met by teaching English as a foreign language, as in these countries.

You have hit the nail bang on the head. English is, after 80 odd years of independence, still the official language of Pakistan. This is what gives the mad drive for English. English is not an important language, Pakistanis have made it an important language.English must be eliminated as the official language. Incidently, I believe all the countries of the former soviet Union have now their own language as both the official language and the language of education.

I have seen Pakistanis unable to speak their own language without using English. I have seen tv presenters use one sentence of Urdu and one of English . Somebody on this forum replied to me with pride 'I can't read urdu, I can't write urdu. My language is English.' Urdu is written in latin script because the highly educated can't actually read urdu. Is that not surrender?

I think you are mistaken. In Japan it is mandatory, but it is still taught as a foreign language. It is not a medium of instruction. I have a friend who teaches English in Japan.

You have just proved that instruction in English is not needed for success. All the countries you mentioned do not have English as a medium of instruction, yet their companies thrive. All English requirements can be met by teaching English as a foreign language, as in these countries.

You have hit the nail bang on the head. English is, after 80 odd years of independence, still the official language of Pakistan. This is what gives the mad drive for English. English is not an important language, Pakistanis have made it an important language.English must be eliminated as the official language. Incidently, I believe all the countries of the former soviet Union have now their own language as both the official language and the language of education.

I have seen Pakistanis unable to speak their own language without using English. I have seen tv presenters use one sentence of Urdu and one of English . Somebody on this forum replied to me with pride 'I can't read urdu, I can't write urdu. My language is English.' Urdu is written in latin script because the highly educated can't actually read urdu. Is that not surrender?
What on Earth are you talking about? How the hell did you get all that from what I said? Now you're just making things up, and repeating yourself.

As far as I'm concerned, I've already addressed all these points. There is no need for me to repeat myself.

Back
Top Bottom