What's new

First grade will learn English starting April 8 in KPK

Actually, all those nations you mentioned teach english in one form or another. English is needed to be a success in today's world, because a third of the global population speaks English, no other language comes even close. English has become the world's most common language thanks to the British Empire, and unfortunately, Pakistan can't drop it as a language because it plays too important a part in global diplomacy and globalization efforts.

English is taught a a foreign language in all countries, it is never a medium of instruction. In school we had to study french as a foreign language; no other subject was in french. No body is asking you to 'drop' english, just give it the same status as in the rest of the world.

English as a language of instruction is not needed to be a success in today's world; Taiwanese. Korean, Turkish and Japanese companies have flourished without it.

In Pakistan you totally exaggerate the importance of English, almost all countries in the world run their countries entirely in their own language.

Pakistanis seem to find any excuse they can to surrender their language and replace it with english.

misconception that it is needed for 'success'.

It's not a misconception. A stupendously large percentage of available literature on pretty much everything is in English. In books and the internet both. If you wish to learn more about something, you pretty much have to understand English. Urdu books are relatively few and its authors not as knowledgeable.

So until the day where we a have a sizeable percentage of literature translated to Urdu, English is a must for academic success.

It's not a misconception. A stupendously large percentage of available literature on pretty much everything is in English. In books and the internet both. If you wish to learn more about something, you pretty much have to understand English. Urdu books are relatively few and its authors not as knowledgeable.

So until the day where we a have a sizeable percentage of literature translated to Urdu, English is a must for academic success.

I agree with you. But that day is not going to come until we start mass-translating foreign literature in Urdu, is it?

English is taught a a foreign language in all countries, it is never a medium of instruction. In school we had to study french as a foreign language; no other subject was in french. No body is asking you to 'drop' english, just give it the same status as in the rest of the world.

English as a language of instruction is not needed to be a success in today's world; Taiwanese. Korean, Turkish and Japanese companies have flourished without it.

In Pakistan you totally exaggerate the importance of English, almost all countries in the world run their countries entirely in their own language.

Pakistanis seem to find any excuse they can to surrender their language and replace it with english.
Actually no, English in most countries isn't taught as a foreign language; for example, in Japan it's considered mandatory in most schools. As for French, we're taught that in Canada, but it's considered domestic language, even though french is only spoken in Quebec. French is also considered a government langauge too, and you can't get a political office seat unless you speak both English and French.

English as a language of instruction is needed to be a success; Taiwanese, Korean, Turkish and Japanese are barely spoken outside of their respective nations, and companies that go international generally have to learn English, because it's the most widely spoken and common language in the world.

I'm not exaggerating the importance of English in Pakistan, as all government institutes are run in English. The official language of the government is English, most road signs also come in English. Most government run Pakistani government run schools teach English as a mandatory subject, I know, because I was taught in them.

Speaking English isn't surrendering your own language, your sense of logic is flawed. I speak English, French, Urdu, Punjabi and I started to learn Japanese before giving up, I can tell you right now that I didn't have to give up speaking one language to learn another. The fact that you're typing in English on this forum, and you having the ability to speak your own native language should prove that much.

Speaking English isn't surrendering your own language, your sense of logic is flawed. I speak English, French, Urdu, Punjabi and I started to learn Japanese before giving up,

If you learned French in Canada it is Canadian-French.
I have some friends from France who can't understand Quebecers. :what:
(and hmm...I have British friends who can't understand what I'm saying...but the French can..oh what a wacky world).

If you learned French in Canada it is Canadian-French.
I have some friends from France who can't understand Quebecers. :what:
(and hmm...I have British friends who can't understand what I'm saying...but the French can..oh what a wacky world).
Actually, Quebec is considered an autonomous region in Canada, basically foreign in it's own right to the rest of the country, so my argument technically still stands.

Reasonable move to train children in English as medium of communication as its a internationally recognized language

I agree with you. But that day is not going to come until we start mass-translating foreign literature in Urdu, is it?
We can't hold progress because someone thinks we should be teaching in Urdu.

Inferiority complex ? Where are local languages ?
I think they will probably have some sort of option to learn those in later years.

Why English and not Urdu? The whole of Pakistan must drop this English-medium crap; the reality is most people will NEVER grasp this language and it only ends up crippling them.
If you put effort into developing Urdu as a language, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to be the medium for education at even University level!

And by developing I mean taking foreign loan words i.e. scientific terms and whatnot, and 'Urdu-fy' them. This happens to most languages around the word.

Why not pushto?.

All those people bragging about this move or about learning English in Pakistan, especially @cb4: please ask your federal govt to remove english as office language and replace it with Urdu. In all offices in Pakistan, English is used for all daily activities. Then what's harm in learning it?

Why English and not Urdu? The whole of Pakistan must drop this English-medium crap; the reality is most people will NEVER grasp this language and it only ends up crippling them.
If you put effort into developing Urdu as a language, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to be the medium for education at even University level!

And by developing I mean taking foreign loan words i.e. scientific terms and whatnot, and 'Urdu-fy' them. This happens to most languages around the word.

agreed. local language is the best medium of instruction. But the issue is that this must start from the top. If im taught everything in Urdu to the best of standards but i cannot pass the CSS exam because of the English barrier, its not worth the effort. Or if an english speaking student is preferred over an urdu speaking student in the private sector irrespective of his educational achievement, why adopt Urdu as a medium of instruction?

Good move. Every province should have English as main language of education.

Bhai jaan We need ENGLISH desperately. TONS of brilliant minds are lost because of the lack of english!

No need urdufy english. ENglish English is.

Back
Top Bottom